PDA

View Full Version : Pen Swap Voting Poll

fxst
8th September 2006, 11:22 PM
Ok fellas and fellaesses why do we vote on the results of our pen swap? I went into this with the view that we would turn the wood into pens post the pics and comment and leave it there. How did the vote for my pen come into this? It seems to be a competition now and not what I want to be involved in.
I make pens as a relaxation and use the themes as a challenge to try for but no I don't want a poll on who is best as I think that removes the fun from this whole idea.
so here is the chance to see the direction we would want it to go.
Pete

dazzler
8th September 2006, 11:40 PM
As I say to my 11 year old footy team.

It doesnt matter how you play the game....its whether you win that counts:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:p

Just jokin..........;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
8th September 2006, 11:42 PM
The votes just a bit of fun, as it gives a bit of feedback on what the "general public" think of the photos. Not which pen best represents the theme, is the most demanding to construct, or even which is the nicest pen. Just which is the nicest photo of a pen... along with the occasional bit of constructive criticism.

The last is, IMHO, the best part. I assume most non pen-turners don't read the pen-turning threads, but it seems to me that everyone wants to have their say in a poll. :D So we get feedback from people who wouldn't say a word otherwise; suggestions on photography, why they nearly voted for one pen but didn't, you know the sort of thing. ;)

I can't say I see it as a competition, but if it annoys you that much you don't have to read the voting thread.

If there is one. :p

DJ’s Timber
9th September 2006, 12:02 AM
I thought the purpose of the pen swap was to have some fun, exchange timber and sell one of each months swap at the end to raise money for yet to be decided whatever. IMO I reckon we just post picture and let people comment.
Also with the theme I don't think we all need to do the same. For next month I think we should just do whatever you want to do and surprised everyone with the end results.

lubbing5cherubs
10th September 2006, 07:33 PM
I like the theme idea because it makes you really think and try new things.
Toni

chrisb691
10th September 2006, 08:56 PM
I don't regard it as a competition, but I don't mind the poll as a way of expressing my preferred pen. If there is no poll, it's not going to break me up. I'm quite happy to go along with the choice of who ever puts the blanks up, or the majority of the participants involved. But I think the decision should be limited to these parties, and not be open slather. If anyone wants to be part of the decision making, then they should become an active participant. :)

soundman
14th September 2006, 12:51 AM
With pens and a lot of turned stuff it would be very hard to say better or worse.

you could have a dosen pens all of similar technical and astetic merit but everone very different in timber character and artistic impression.

thats the beauty of a hand crafted timber item..... it unique and has individual beauty and character.

Its not about what is better its about variety and individual charm.

Viva la diference.