PDA

View Full Version : What would you pay for Silky oak ?

JDarvall
10th September 2006, 09:25 AM
I don't often get to work with anything decent. But I've been offered a decent payed job ...and a mate of mine has 'reveiled' (the secretative fella) that he has stacked silky oak. Been sitting for about 5 years he says.

about 20 planks. each planks about 200 wide, 30 thick.....6 or so metres long.

Lovely light stuff....... The only issue is money. I'm not going to haggle with a mate. He's suggested maybe $12/m......... Which sounds excellent.

But, I've never bought the stuff before, so I'm not really sure. Does $12/m sound about right to you ?

ozwinner
10th September 2006, 09:44 AM
:eek: Sound right? :eek:

It should all be sitting in your shed as we speak.

Al :cool:

gordonwindeyer
10th September 2006, 10:10 AM
You should think about timber pricing as a per cubic metre rate (or super foot - 1"X12"X12" - if you are so inclined).
A metre of 200X30mm board is 0.006 m3 of timber or 1/166th of a cu.m.
So your price of $12 per lineal metre equates to $2,000 per cube.
I would expect to pay around $4,000 per cube (+/- 10%) for Silky Oak, so it is a good deal, providing the timber is good quality.

Clinton1
10th September 2006, 10:23 AM
sounds good, but like Gordon said check the quality. You want to be paying for figured timber, not sapwood. 1/2 sapwood, 1/2 figure at that price = $4000/m3. If its all good figure its a steal.

I use the calculator by flying duck on page 2 of this thread -
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=18796&page=2&highlight=calculator

benchdog
10th September 2006, 06:31 PM
if you dont want it can i have your mate's email address please??

benchdog

Auzzie turner
10th September 2006, 06:46 PM
me to

JDarvall
10th September 2006, 10:49 PM
Thanks for all that info.

Leaves me a bit confused though......cause I went out and saw him today with the family and had lunch . He lives out of town. A farmer. Ex-cabinet maker.

He fell the tree on his property, and had it cut up for him, with the intention to make something of it sometime.....but he's a farmer now he says.

He tried to offload it to the local fellas, but they didn't want it because he'd sawn it all too thick for their use apparently.

He'd said that his mates had told him that the stuffs worth at least 2000 a cube.....and up to 2500 a cube the older it is.......not 4000 like what you guys are saying ! ..:confused: :D .. prices fluctuate all over I guess.

I bought home 80 bucks worth on the way home, and cut up 20 plarks (sheilds or whatever you call em) before dark (For the local Airforce Cadets) Nice timber though. I've worked with free offcuts before, but never actually bought any before. Feel guilty just using it to make bloody sheilds. (didin't have anything else wide enough)

Sounds like I've got lucky for a change. I'll have to visit the bank tomorrow and pay him another visit. ;)

Exador
11th September 2006, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all that info.

He'd said that his mates had told him that the stuffs worth at least 2000 a cube.....and up to 2500 a cube the older it is.......not 4000 like what you guys are saying ! ..:confused: :D .. prices fluctuate all over I guess.

Price in Brissy is about $3500/cube for smaller quantities, $2500 for bulk. Some sell it dearer...

JDarvall
11th September 2006, 08:01 PM
Ta Craig.

MajorPanic
11th September 2006, 10:46 PM
You should think about timber pricing as a per cubic metre rate (or super foot - 1"X12"X12" - if you are so inclined).
A metre of 200X30mm board is 0.006 m3 of timber or 1/166th of a cu.m.
So your price of $12 per lineal metre equates to $2,000 per cube.
I would expect to pay around $4,000 per cube (+/- 10%) for Silky Oak, so it is a good deal, providing the timber is good quality.

If you are willing to pay $4K for Silky Oak............ have I gotta deal for you!!

For $4K/M³ I'd want it ALL quarter cut!!!!!

Silky Oak (Northern) around 2.5-3K /M³ is a reasonable price. If it's southern take a K/M³ off.

apricotripper, $2K is a good price!

journeyman Mick
12th September 2006, 01:40 AM
Price around here last time I checked was between $2K - $3k/M3, depending on whether you were buying it off a mill's outlet ($2k) or a timberyard ($3k).

Mick

Cliff Rogers
12th September 2006, 01:58 AM
:eek: Sound right? :eek:

It should all be sitting in your shed as we speak.

Al :cool:

In your shed..... :confused: :eek:

How about on the FAQ'n shed :cool: :D

Ta lots Larry. :rolleyes:

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=21002&d=1143115541

Rosethorn
12th September 2006, 09:24 AM
I bought some off a fellow over your way - lovely stuff to work with and nice figure - paid $2000 a cube and very happy with it - hardly any waste - wonder if it is the same bloke?
cheers rosethorn