PDA

View Full Version : A Coulple of Boxes

gazaly
10th September 2006, 08:18 PM
Hey all.:)

These boxes were made over the weekend.

This one is an earing box for my parters mum, who lives in the UK. Dimensions are 150 x 70 x 45. I wanted the timber to be from WA so I used Marri and She Oak. Gifkins for the DT's and basic design. Finish is EEE and 2 coats of Trad wax.

There are plenty of flaws, but its not too bad if ya don't look to closely.:eek:

gazaly
10th September 2006, 08:24 PM
This one is for my parter. Dimensions are 300 x 160 x 50. This time used what I think is English oak (but not sure, please correct me if I'm wrong:confused: ) and the lid and dividers are again She Oak. Basic design and DT's courtesy of Roger G again. Finish was a coat of sanding sealer, 800 grit finishing sand, EEE and 2 coats of Trad wax.

I'm happy with the results, so is 'er indoors.:D

ss_11000
10th September 2006, 08:38 PM
great boxes mate

Auld Bassoon
10th September 2006, 08:56 PM
Mate! You're getting a bit embarassingly good at this box making lark :) Well done, great boxes!

Harry72
10th September 2006, 09:15 PM
Very nice Gaz

Wardy
10th September 2006, 09:21 PM
well done gazaly,good looking boxes,i think they will be very impressed:)

Barrie Restall
10th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Very nice, they will love them! The grain in the she-oak has come up really well, good work.

Barrie

tonysa
10th September 2006, 10:44 PM
really nice boxes
i saw gumby's gifkins video and was impressed with its ease of use
was thinking incra but now ..... ?
cheers
TonySA

martrix
10th September 2006, 10:47 PM
great job Gazaly, that Sheoak looks completely alive!!http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif

Wongo
10th September 2006, 11:07 PM
Nice boxes mate. Good workmanship too. Well done.

Sculptured Box
10th September 2006, 11:26 PM
gazaly

Roger G. will be pleased re your good work, well done!

Gumby
10th September 2006, 11:52 PM
I agree with the other comments, good work for a Crow. :)

There are some nice designs in the Gifkins book. Looks like you're a disciple too. ;)

DPB
11th September 2006, 08:45 AM
Nice work, Gazaly. I especially like the second box. Simple but elegant.

RufflyRustic
11th September 2006, 09:37 AM
Lovely boxes Gazaly! Isn't it so nice to use a tool that cuts down the time to make each box :) and makes each box more beautiful.

Cheers
Wendy

AlexS
11th September 2006, 02:12 PM
Very nice boxes Gaz. I like the dark piece going from corner to corner in the 1st pic. The 2nd box is a nice design & looks very elegant.

Billylad
11th September 2006, 10:31 PM
well done,your partner must be very proud of you.the sheaok is a real dazzler.

zenwood
12th September 2006, 08:01 PM
Very good boxes. The diagonal strip is a fascinating idea: makes it look abit like you've chopped the box in half then put it back together again. A very bold effect. Finish and timber look good too. Great stuff!!

gazaly
12th September 2006, 10:12 PM
Thanks all for the kind words. They are very well received.:rolleyes:

To expand a little, Aly was very happy with her jewelery box and was sure her mother would like her earing box.

TonySA, The Gifkins is a fantastic jig, but I also have an Incra, which I use to control my fence when using the four box cutters that Roger sells. It's only the basic model as shown here:

http://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/prod161.htm

I only purchased the position and made my own fence. I'll takes some pics and post them soon.

Gumby, I am a complete disciple of Rogers. I took a non-woodworking mate to the Wood Show to watch Roger do his box making demo; my mate thinks I'm some kind of Roger groupee:eek:

Ruffly, you hit the nail on the head:)

As said before, thanks all. Its great to have a forum to share ones interests with like minded people.;)