PDA

View Full Version : TradeTools Bandsaw

Dean
22nd January 2003, 02:09 PM
Hi folks...

I have been looking at the $635 Tradetools bandsaw at this page: http://www.bids.com.au/TradeTools/bandsaws.html

Looks pretty solid from what I have seen in the store...Anyone have any comments on this machine or have one themselves?

Cheers

Dean

Rich
23rd January 2003, 02:37 PM
Hi Dean, I have that same model (purchased from Timbecon) for around same price.
I find it does the job quite well. however is limited with a cutting depth of only 180mm (approx) I often wish I had saved a tad more & got a bigger unit.
Quality wise I reccomend that you check oput the wheels as one of mine had to be replaced under w/tee. The problem I now have is with the orange plastic wing nuts that are on the table. They quite easily "turn off" the nut heads they encase and you must use other means to undo/tighten them! Timbecon have been looking into this for a while now (but still no replacements).
Buy good quality blades for it and learn a bit about the tensions/adjustments which are ongoing and you will have a good unit Dean.
Hope it helps.
Regards Sandman.

Dean
29th January 2003, 04:45 PM
thanks for the tips.

Little Festo
29th January 2003, 05:49 PM
Hello dean, looks a lot like the Rexon I bought from glenfords. It's a copy of the Electra Beckun BAS 316, I downloaded the Electra Beckum's instruction manual and it's practically identical. The manual that came with mine was very scant indeed.

I agree about getting new blades. I have just replaced the blades that came with the machine with one I purchased from Henry Brothers, the difference is amazing.

Peter

Dean
30th January 2003, 12:09 AM
Hmm cool...Yep I guessed it was a copy of something. Too many machines floating around these days looking exactly like one another http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

Just looking for a solid little machine that will handle light tasks a couple times a month, but also has a solid looking table and 2 slide slots for jigs etc. This model seems to fit that bill from the specs and look of it.

Will invest in a few quality blades if I do end up picking one up.

Thanks again!

Dennis Hill
30th January 2003, 03:26 PM
Dean, i have a similar saw (diferent colour!)and have the same coment re the plastic lever knobs. I changed a couple of them for hex head bolts and my dealer replaced 2 of them with a more substantial type.
I am happy with my machine.
Good luck.

Dean
31st January 2003, 01:12 AM
Went to Carbatec today and now Im looking at the BAS-350 Carbatec Deluxe model they have for $798.

Seems a later model than the Tradetools one and has a better stand http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

derekcohen
31st January 2003, 04:33 PM
Dean, I think that you can do better than this machine (the BAS 350). I looked it over before purchasing another Carba-tec branded machine, one that is sold in the USA as Rigid (in fact, the box it came in had the Rigid name cast into the polystyrene packaging). I don't know the number, but it is a very new item (here in Perth) and your branch may not yet have one in stock.

The differences between the machines (the Rigid is slightly cheaper at $750):

The Rigid will accept a 6" riser kit, while the 350 will not (so you are limited in the size of your resaw).

The finish of the Rigid is far superior, for example, polished cast iron saw table vs the rougher casting on the 350. Generally, the 350 felt flimsy in comparison.

The fence on the 350 looks great. But it is flexes easily. The fence on the Rigid was rigid (sorry!) but requires two screw downs and I have replaced it with the aftermarket "Profesional" bandsaw fence Carba-tec sell. At $88 it is a little luxury but the total price is still not much more than the 350.

The Rigid permits high tension settings on the blade. The 350 was very weak in this regard.

Ease of replacing a blade is very important in a bandsaw. The Rigid blew away the 350: The Rigid's case open without any tools (just pull on the knobs), while the 350 requires a screwdriver (and a couple of beers).

The motor on the 350 is rated at 1 1/2 hp while the Rigid is 3/4 hp. I am not sure if this translates into more/less power. My understanding is that bandsaws are not to be equated to a tablesaw in that the power factor is not as important (my tablesaw has 2 hp which is only just OK for seasoned Jarrah).

I am still in the process of assembling my bandsaw and will report back more later.

Regards from Perth

DErek