PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening - Choice of grinder

smidsy
12th September 2006, 03:12 PM
Hei Guys,
Anyone using the low speed 8 inch low speed bench grinder from Carbatec - it is only rated at 550w as compared to the standard 3/4 of the standard speed grinders.
Cheers
Paul

Dean
13th September 2006, 10:12 PM
Nope but I doubt the wattage will be a problem.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th September 2006, 10:31 PM
If you're planning on reshaping metal in the "home mechanic" fashion, ie. poke the metal in, lean on it hard and safety be damned, then it's way underpowered. It probably won't make a nice, satisfyingly loud BANG when the overabused wheel finally decides to let go, thus depriving you of an essential learning experience.

If, on the other hand, you intend to use it for more sophisticated purposes, such as actually accurately sharpening a tool without destroying the temper by making the steel glow, then it should be perfectly OK.

:D

RETIRED
14th September 2006, 09:27 AM
If you're planning on reshaping metal in the "home mechanic" fashion, ie. poke the metal in, lean on it hard and safety be damned, then it's way underpowered. It probably won't make a nice, satisfyingly loud BANG when the overabused wheel finally decides to let go, thus depriving you of an essential learning experience.

If, on the other hand, you intend to use it for more sophisticated purposes, such as actually accurately sharpening a tool without destroying the temper by making the steel glow, then it should be perfectly OK.

:DYou're no fun.:rolleyes: :D

Farnk
14th September 2006, 12:24 PM
As with Skew, given the light touch is all you will need you should be fine.

On a slightly tangential note, I've been playing with using a linisher for chisel sharpening and have had some luck, anyone else tried this?

Stuart
14th September 2006, 01:18 PM
Terry has a document about how to do this on his Piricdesign.com.au website. It is focussed on using the Wasp as the linisher, but the info is relevant to a wider audience.

OGYT
14th September 2006, 01:54 PM
Okay, 'nother dumb question from the yank: What's a linisher?

Cliff Rogers
14th September 2006, 02:01 PM
Okay, 'nother dumb question from the yank: What's a linisher?

You'll find a pic here.
http://www.lawm.freeserve.co.uk/linisher.htm

China
14th September 2006, 08:37 PM
In the USA you call them belt grinders

scooter
14th September 2006, 09:24 PM
derekcohen's sharpening setup is based around a linisher.

See Best of the Best.

Cheers...................Sean

rodm
15th September 2006, 01:28 AM
Hei Guys,
Anyone using the low speed 8 inch low speed bench grinder from Carbatec

I have had one for about a year and it has been a good grinder. It will blue if you hold it there long enough. :D
I do my chisel and blade sharpening on a homemade sanding disk up to 1200 and then buff with a felt wheel and a Veritas stick.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=17218&highlight=homemade+disc+sharpener