PDA

View Full Version : October Pen Swap

DJ’s Timber
12th September 2006, 11:34 PM
Ok People, I have some timber set aside for the October swap which I will reveal a bit closer to the date to keep a bit of suspence going:p .
The current members that I have on file here are;
Skew ChiDAMN
chrisb691
Fireman sam
djstimber
ss_11000
Tassie Boy
Lubbing5 Cherubs
Dazzler
Skewpid
fxst
Touchwood
Stuart.
brindOg
Terry B
Diasensei
New Members
Toasty
Auzzie turner
soundman
MOnty

Anyone else wanting to join in please indicate in this thread and PM me your Full Name and Address and I will add you in to the group
If I have missed anyone please let me know and I will update the list

soundman
13th September 2006, 12:04 AM
count me in for the october swap.
Also count me in as a donour in the next slot which is?.
cheers

DJ’s Timber
13th September 2006, 12:18 AM
count me in for the october swap.
Also count me in as a donour in the next slot which is?.
cheers

Done.

I think the next available month is December. Not to sure if someone ended up putting their hand up for November or not, I think someone did but can't remember who

Touchwood
13th September 2006, 12:44 AM
Bloomin' heck, October stuff going up already ... just got my September wood ... bet djsttimber works in one of those retail stores that have Christmas stuff on the shelves in September ... oh that would be now... :eek: :eek:

Hope the work for the folks is going well!:D

JD

Touchwood
13th September 2006, 12:57 AM
Not to sure if someone ended up putting their hand up for November or not, I think someone did but can't remember who

Just spent the last 13 mins going through Aug pen swap and Rowie has November - if that helps!:D

JD

DJ’s Timber
13th September 2006, 01:54 AM
Bloomin' heck, October stuff going up already ... just got my September wood ... bet djsttimber works in one of those retail stores that have Christmas stuff on the shelves in September ... oh that would be now... :eek: :eek:

Hope the work for the folks is going well!:D

JD

LOL, nah you would never find me working in a retail store:eek: I would go out of my mind:eek:
Though I would get a start on the list for October as I have already got a few PM for the October Pen Swap:p

Just spent the last 13 mins going through Aug pen swap and Rowie has November - if that helps!:D

JD

Well, there we go. Thanks for that JD. If Rowie is still up for the November Pen Swap, soundman can have December unless anyone has any objections:cool:

Auzzie turner
13th September 2006, 01:28 PM
Ok People, I have some timber set aside for the October swap which I will reveal a bit closer to the date to keep a bit of suspence going:p .
The current members that I have on file here are;
Skew ChiDAMN
chrisb691
Fireman sam
djstimber
ss_11000
Tassie Boy
Lubbing5 Cherubs
Dazzler
Skewpid
fxst
Touchwood
Stuart.
brindOg
Terry B
Diasensei
New Members
Toasty
Auzzie turner
soundman

Anyone else wanting to join in please indicate in this thread and PM me your Full Name and Address and I will add you in to the group
If I have missed anyone please let me know and I will update the list

;) ;) :cool:

M0nty
13th September 2006, 09:49 PM
Hey djstimber, you missed me ... but I just jumped in for sept swap, so I won't hold it against you :)

DJ’s Timber
13th September 2006, 10:42 PM
Hey djstimber, you missed me ... but I just jumped in for sept swap, so I won't hold it against you :)

Phew, thanks for not holding it against me:rolleyes:
Have listed you in;)

DJ’s Timber
27th September 2006, 06:31 PM
G'day Everyone

Getting to the end of the month now:). Have cut all the timber for October pen swap:D. Will be posting the timber off tomorrow or Friday.

The two different species that I have cut up, are London Plane which came from a massive tree (trunk was 1.8 mt across x 5 mt long) that was milled onsite in a backyard in Hawthorn, Melbourne.
The second one is from a Mulberry tree which I found on my Uncle's farm near Benalla. It was planted sometime back in the 1920's when the original house was still standing.
I have also put in a couple of slivers in as well for anyone wanting to do some laminations. IMHO I think the timber is nice enough to leave as is.
I will still have quite a few pieces left over if anyone else wants to join in:cool:.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 06:45 PM
Sounds like a simple one... [Phew!] I'm growing weary of things that go BANG! :D

rowie
27th September 2006, 07:33 PM
Well, there we go. Thanks for that JD. If Rowie is still up for the November Pen Swap, soundman can have December unless anyone has any objections:cool:Yes, thanks guys, I am still up for donating November;)

ss_11000
27th September 2006, 07:50 PM
thats not good. its almost october and i haven't turned my sept ones yet :eek:

dai sensei
27th September 2006, 08:01 PM
Sounds like a simple one... [Phew!] I'm growing weary of things that go BANG! :D

Come on Skew, you love the challenge as much as I do. Plain pens get boring.

DJ - what is London Plane? And what are the slivers, Mulberry, London Plane or something else?

Stuart
27th September 2006, 08:06 PM
Same here - at least I've made some progress on the glue-up.

I want a minilathe :rolleyes: :(

DJ’s Timber
27th September 2006, 08:27 PM
DJ - what is London Plane? And what are the slivers, Mulberry, London Plane or something else?

London Plane is a tree that you probably see every time you drive thru a major town or city. It is a popular tree in the treelined leafy suburbs. I have attach a picture of a street in Melbourne. As to what color the timber is, you will just have to wait till you get your piece in the mail:D.

The slivers are one of each, Mulberry and London Plane.

soundman
27th September 2006, 08:48 PM
At soem point we will need to think about limiting the number of swapees befor it all gets out of hand

or

split the swap into groups

I'm fine for cutting, wrapping & posting 20 or so packs but if it grows to 40 or so that gets a bit much to chew on.
for some 20 is a bit chewy.

lets think about what will happen in the january swap.

swap groups of 6 or 10 would be easy to handle.

either splitting the list between donours, swapping within the group or something like that.
some donours will still be happy to post the whole list.

cheers

dai sensei
27th September 2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks DJ - I recognise the tree after living in Melb for 20 years, but before I took up wood turning. I remember seeing plenty of bulges under the outer branches, due to cutting out the centers for power lines, that should give some beautiful fiddleback grain.

Soundman - I tend to agree, guess we will have to see how it goes. I am on holidays late December/January:p , as I am sure others are over the Xmas period, may have to take a break. I can certainly do one later next year and I have already thought of a theme, but I might have to send 4 blanks :eek:, to ensure we allow for bangs:o .

Fireman sam
27th September 2006, 09:57 PM
hi everyone
when the pen swap was originaly started what was going to hapen was that each person would send a blank to some one else but because we were so close to christmas it changed to what is hapening now with the thought that after the new year it would go back to each person sending one set of blankes to another person that is how i under stand it to be i may be wrong eg keep the blankes under 20 mm when posting and postage should be a large letter size only cost $1.00
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
28th September 2006, 02:03 PM
Have posted the blanks off today:cool:. Hopefully everyone will get there bits before the end of next week. Have to see how fast the snail mail is this time:rolleyes:

soundman
28th September 2006, 04:06 PM
ALLrighty then.

I best start getting my stuff together for december.

cheers

dai sensei
28th September 2006, 10:15 PM
So do we have a theme for October, or are we just turning a simple pen?

DJ’s Timber
28th September 2006, 10:34 PM
I was thinking that we can turn whatever. I think everyone could do with a break from having to follow a theme.

Andraax
29th September 2006, 01:33 PM
Just quick nonce question - how does the pen swap work?

DJ’s Timber
29th September 2006, 02:28 PM
G'day Andraax

Rather than explaining, I will give you a couple of links

Look here first (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=33086) and then here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=34113)

If you want to join up, just send me a PM and I will send you same blanks

Skewpid
29th September 2006, 02:32 PM
I was thinking that we can turn whatever. I think everyone could do with a break from having to follow a theme.

I'll second that:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2006, 03:59 PM
Blanks are here already!? :eek:

ss_11000
29th September 2006, 05:04 PM
well no starting! its not october yet:p :cool:

cheers

DJ’s Timber
29th September 2006, 07:10 PM

Blooming hell that was fast, I only posted them yesterday arvo

well no starting! its not october yet:p :cool:
cheers

That's right, I might havta drop in to his place and check up on him;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2006, 07:22 PM
Blooming hell that was fast, I only posted them yesterday arvo

One of the advantages of being just up the road. :) I'm still mightily surprised, to say the least.

That's right, I might havta drop in to his place and check up on him;)

Feel free! You know where 'tis, the kettle's always hot... and I need someone to sweep the floor.

:D:D

Stuart
29th September 2006, 08:51 PM
Thanks for those - got mine today too. So - which is which?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2006, 08:55 PM
The Mulberry is yellowish. ;)

I wanna start turning the London Plane NOW! :p

DJ’s Timber
29th September 2006, 09:04 PM
Thanks for those - got mine today too. So - which is which?

Don't ya know ya timbers:eek: :D.

The whitish one is London Plane.
And the yellow/goldish one is Mulberry, which will come up a really gold color and then eventually turn a mellow brownish color. Have attach a picture of a Mulberry bud vase I turned about 5 yrs ago, but I took this photo a couple of weeks ago.

Stuart
29th September 2006, 09:14 PM
Only timbers I get to see around here is Bunnings pine http://www.ubeaut.biz/mecry.gif

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th September 2006, 09:18 PM
Is it October yet? http://www.ubeaut.biz/sad2.gif

Stuart
29th September 2006, 09:29 PM
I'm hoping it hurries up as well - I have about 30MB left of my 10GB limit :eek: At least from next month it becomes 20GB :D

DJ’s Timber
29th September 2006, 10:29 PM
Is it October yet? http://www.ubeaut.biz/sad2.gif

Now now, Patience my boy:p
Still 26 and 1/2 hrs to go:cool:

Touchwood
30th September 2006, 10:17 PM
Got a good feeling about this one...

my Uncle's farm near Benalla I was born in Benalla!!!

I must confess to having said at least once or twice lately ... I'm so over cutting and sticking little pieces of wood ..... but not I'm thinking a plain pen, using just one wood, not cuts, no glues will be .... plain:eek: :eek: :eek:

So, thinking creatively ...:confused: :confused: what will I do? Finally got to holidays and now have shed time :p :p :p

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th September 2006, 10:30 PM
I must confess to having said at least once or twice lately ... I'm so over cutting and sticking little pieces of wood ..... but not I'm thinking a plain pen, using just one wood, not cuts, no glues will be .... plain:eek: :eek: :eek:

You're not the only one, Jude. :D I've been sitting and thinking but all my better ideas seem to involve the bandsaw. :rolleyes:

Now now, Patience my boy:p
Still 26 and 1/2 hrs to go:cool:

Another 151 minutes... but tomorrow's the SE Melb get-together, so not much shed time there. [sigh]

Just the same... Roll on October!

lubbing5cherubs
2nd October 2006, 04:26 PM
Have you turned it yet SKewy? I know you been champing at the bit to get at it did you?
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd October 2006, 06:41 PM
:D

No... the forum BBQ got in the way yesterday [hic] and this morning Froggie's kits turned up on my doorstep. I've been too busy hugging & squeezing and calling things George to actually turn on the lathe. :o

lubbing5cherubs
2nd October 2006, 07:07 PM
Which kits did you get? Any new sort?? I am sticky peek I know but mention those froggie kits you got my ears Picqued
Toni

soundman
2nd October 2006, 07:35 PM
My bits arrived today. cheers

lubbing5cherubs
2nd October 2006, 08:39 PM
OH I forgot to add mine arrived today
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
2nd October 2006, 08:53 PM
Which kits did you get? Any new sort?? I am sticky peek I know but mention those froggie kits you got my ears Picqued

New? Not really.

The full set of Filigrees, some Deco Slimlines (I'm out of everything and thought I'd stock up on the basics at the same time) and the 18k Swiss Rose Gold.

Love that last one... I've been out in the shed for the last hour or so, just polishing the sides of blanks and comparing them to the kit, trying to pick the blank that's destined to (hopefully) become the pride of my fleet. ;)

PS: A quick note to whoever bought the last of Froggies' Titanium Black Sierras: GRRRRR! :mad: (I wanted a few of them, too, but missed out. [sigh])

Fireman sam
3rd October 2006, 05:39 PM
my blankes turn up today. thank you :eek: :)
Andrew

dai sensei
3rd October 2006, 05:55 PM
Got mine today to. Mind you it was hidden in the bottom of the letter box, so could have been there a while:o

That piece of mulberry is beautiful. Has colour, grain, even a few small knotts. Hmm, may need to re-think my plan to show it off.

Skewpid
3rd October 2006, 08:38 PM
Got mine!:D :D

Loooooooooove that mulberry .. mmmm.

Now, is there a theme? .. I just re-visited the whole thread and couldnt see that there wuz one.:confused: So this is a fee-style month????

Rich.:)

dazzler
3rd October 2006, 08:52 PM
Hey

Got mine

Dont forget this months theme is

"Superfine, diamond, zebra, captivated ring, crosses, feathers,
tiger stripes, camel humps on a sesame seed bun!"

:p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd October 2006, 09:04 PM
Captive ring! :eek: Now who'd be so nasty as to introduce that for a theme?

(When's it my turn to donate blanks again? http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughdevil.gif)

lubbing5cherubs
3rd October 2006, 09:13 PM
Hey

Got mine

Well come on Dazzler lets see your first?? This is going to be interesting
Toni

Auzzie turner
3rd October 2006, 09:19 PM
received my pen blanks in good order. How much does the postage cost to send to all these people??

Beaut timber,

Any theme,?

Thanks,

Regards...........Joash

DJ’s Timber
3rd October 2006, 09:21 PM
Got mine!:D :D

Loooooooooove that mulberry .. mmmm.

Now, is there a theme? .. I just re-visited the whole thread and couldnt see that there wuz one.:confused: So this is a fee-style month????

Rich.:)

Thats right Rich, time to do some freestyling turning:D

Hey

Got mine

Love to see that Dazzler:eek:, looking forward to that:p

Captive ring! :eek: Now who'd be so nasty as to introduce that for a theme?

(When's it my turn to donate blanks again? http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughdevil.gif)

Thats ok Skew, when you mail out the blanks, don't forget to include a captive ring cutting tool for everyone with the blanks:p :cool:

DJ’s Timber
3rd October 2006, 09:27 PM
received my pen blanks in good order. How much does the postage cost to send to all these people??

Beaut timber,

Any theme,?

Thanks,

Regards...........Joash

Hi Joash

So far for this month there are 19 people, as long as you keep the package to the same size that I sent you, you can get away with a $1 stamp, so it has cost me $19

ss_11000
3rd October 2006, 09:28 PM
Hey

Got mine

no one told me there was a theme... untill after i cut em up.:p :p

got mine today while finishing the finial cut on my sept pens. so i then proceeded to cut up my oct pens. so i will turn my sept and oct pens tommorow and thursday if i dont get enuf time tomorrow.

cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd October 2006, 09:34 PM
Thats ok Skew, when you mail out the blanks, don't forget to include a captive ring cutting tool for everyone with the blanks:p :cool:

I'll happily throw in a bent nail. I'm sure everyone out there has a spare stick to use for a handle. :D:D

Tassie Boy
3rd October 2006, 09:34 PM
Received mine yesterday ..Thankyou DJ.
Love the mulburry its beautiful.

Finally a month with something that wont explode(touch wood) !!

Touchwood
4th October 2006, 01:20 AM
I'll happily throw in a bent nail.
I tried the bent nail trick yesterday .. got sidetracked when I went to the shed to feed the horses ... yeah but ... it didn't agree with me, couldn't seem to get it to play the game even on some soft pine. Looking for other options.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 01:30 AM
How did you sharpen it? I flatten the top of the tip on the grinder, so that it's only a semi-circular profile for the last 5mm or so. Then, using that as the "top" of the tool, I sharpen the tip the same as I would for a very small gouge or scraper.

I might do another quicky tute on this when I find some spare time.

Terry B
5th October 2006, 11:03 PM
Still haven't made it to Armidale. Aus post is very variable in its speed.

Touchwood
6th October 2006, 12:18 AM
How did you sharpen it? I flatten the top of the tip on the grinder, so that it's only a semi-circular profile for the last 5mm or so. Then, using that as the "top" of the tool, I sharpen the tip the same as I would for a very small gouge or scraper.

I took the head off and then sharpened it so it resembled a very pointed half round and bent it about 70 degrees.

I managed to find the tools like Jude was using - they are O ring lifters and at auto shops - mind you, there are even more people in this town who now think I am insane ... looking for dental tools:eek: :eek: :eek:

Got two rings happening, then on the third the wood busted when there was a dig in. Glued it to 'show and tell' when I came inside.

Still haven't made it to Armidale. Aus post is very variable in its speed.
Don't panic, the west ward pigeon is still in transit too.

JD

Skew ChiDAMN!!
6th October 2006, 12:40 AM
II managed to find the tools like Jude was using - they are O ring lifters and at auto shops - mind you, there are even more people in this town who now think I am insane ... looking for dental tools:eek: :eek: :eek:

Could be worse... I've an old military dental drill, (dox say 'twas last serviced in the 50s some time!) one of the old fashioned beasts with belts whizzing around everywhere, that scared the bejeezus outta me when I was a kidley. It even has a treadle attachment for blackouts! :eek:

Before I bought my Dremel, I used to wander from dentist to dentist, begging their used drill bits & grindstones :o 'cos they use a special type of chuck that won't take ordinary bits. (Can't have 'em falling out in someones' mouth. ;)) No-one ever complained about tooth-ache in my shed! :D:D

Terry B
6th October 2006, 06:24 PM
The pigeon arived today.

Touchwood
6th October 2006, 09:45 PM
Mine too, perhaps the same pigeon trainer!!:)

Mulberry is certainly yellow! Can't wait to get at it, as soon as this head cold passes and I can think straight.

Jenny

ss_11000
6th October 2006, 09:50 PM
i turned one of mine today. it turned out rather well IMO. i'm starting to get better at laminating.

lubbing5cherubs
6th October 2006, 09:55 PM
Can't wait to get at it, as soon as this head cold passes and I can think straight.

Jenny

Hope it passes quick Jenny
Toni

Touchwood
6th October 2006, 11:23 PM
Thanks Toni, so much for being on holidays and getting some shed time .. feeling like this one is not safe on saws and lathes and things. Arrr well, could be much worse ...so no point moping.

JD