PDA

View Full Version : hints for laminating

Kev Y.
13th August 2002, 09:33 PM
Evening all..

I have just finished going back over the old posts looking for articles on laminating.

I was looking at laminating some Radiata Pine to make some "cheap" bowls for a Shop display.

I read that PVA was not a very good glue to use.

How would the yellow pva be any better?

as for the laminating.. is there any special hint or technique I should look at using?

Kev.

Tim the Timber Turner
14th August 2002, 10:25 AM
I hate to admit it but Doorstop is right again.

Ive seen photos of a North American turner who's segmented work followed Aztec patterns. These were real works of art.

Just glueing different coloured woods together as is 99% of the laminated turnings one sees is mostly an exercise in bad design and falls into the "Look how clever I am" catagory.

For a real challenge in woodturning try and copy the classical forms and get the proportions right. Ive been trying for 20 years and am still miles away from the craftsmen of olden times.

------------------
Some days I turns thisaway, somedays I turns thataway and other days I don't turn at all.

Kev Y.
14th August 2002, 06:16 PM
Thanks to you both..

Doorstop, I will have you know I take UGLY PILLS to look this way!

Kev.

georgetroy
28th August 2002, 01:52 PM
You can do segmented and stave construction on your pine. Yellow glue is preferred because it moves less. Suggest you make a design before you start. To help give you some ideas you can visit my web site. GT http://www.georgetroygraphics.com

Tim the Timber Turner
28th August 2002, 08:52 PM
Exactly!!

Kev Y.
28th August 2002, 09:55 PM
Thanks George.. you have given me something to think about..

RETIRED
29th August 2002, 12:13 AM
Gooday.

Brudda, I have seen some excellent laminated pieces that a lot of thought has gone into. I myself put my sons through private school by turning laminated pine bowls, stack method.
Some bigger industrial stuff can only be achieved by stave or laminating the timber. Pattern makers have been laminating timber for years to ensure that their patterns stay stable and don't move.
The verandah posts that we turn are laminated treated (protim) pine because oregon is not very good any more and the laminated stuff is strong and will not bend, crack, twist or warp.
The big posts that we turned were laminated Jarrah. Most beams that are used in structural work are laminated because they are stronger.
Plywood when you boil it down is laminated timber.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I think that people should explore all avenues of turning and do some things just to see if they can. I myself hate thin turned vessels that are just ornaments, but the challenge to turn one is there because until you try you never know what can or can't be done.

Just remember that in laminated work the joints have to be tight and accurate. Use good quality glue and use sharp tools because the grain differences can be a nightmare. Try to avoid mixing hard and softwoods and have fun.
Remember that whatever it turns out like your mother will love it http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

RETIRED
31st August 2002, 01:58 AM
Gooday

Kev you might find this of interest. http://www.woodturnerpro.com/

------------------
Ian () Robertson

[This message has been edited by (edited 31 August 2002).]

Kev Y.
31st August 2002, 08:54 PM
thanks for the tips.
I have only been turning (timber) for about 8 months and there are still some techniques I wish to try and experience.

Kev

[This message has been edited by (edited 22 September 2002).]

Alastair Bennetts
20th September 2002, 05:11 PM
Strikes me that some people here are very judgemental about the subject. When I hear how "ugly" laminated work is, and comments about "form and shape", I wonder if the person concerned has ever developed the basic woodworking skills necessary to do the precise work necessary to do laminated work successfully. On the other hand, I accept that no amount of pretty laminated wood is going to compensate for poor form or shape, but used judiciuously, it can be stunning.

As for the original question, I have always used the "yellow glue", and have never had any problems with turning the piece. I have had pieces come apart over years, due to shrinkage, usually associated with poor design (ie long radial joints) shrinkage due to changing humidity, or the use of oily timbers.

------------------

Kev Y.
20th September 2002, 07:20 PM
Alastair, Thanks for your input. I still have not gathered the courage to try my first laminated turning, however it will be soon.

Kev

georgetroy
21st September 2002, 12:32 PM
Kev, you can do your first segmented bowl. Follow my instructions as given in this bookmark. A salad bowl is easy and only takes a 4" solid base. One 5" ring, one 6" ring and one 7" ring. Make all out of the same wood. If turning from solid wood it would all be the same simple shape. You could also make a pattern from your drawing. Go to this link for instructions. http://www.georgetroygraphics.com/html/segmented_salad_bowl_formulas.HTM

ubeaut
22nd September 2002, 09:47 AM
Strewth George..... Just had a bit more of a look around your site and blow me down, I discover that you've got yourself a new DVR (http://www.georgetroygraphics.com/html/shop_pics_3.html). We in Australia live just across the ditch from NZ and haven't been able to get one for love or money.

Jim Carroll
22nd September 2002, 10:30 AM
Neil the good news on the DVR is they are coming through even so ever so slowly. I am going to have some stock at the Melbourne WWS but with all the pre show orders I dont know how many I will have left at the show. So if any body wants one they had better get in quick to secure one.Another bit of gratuitious advertising [email protected]
If anyone misses out at the show we will be taking orders and filling ASAP.
Regards
Jim Carroll
One good turn deserves another

John Saxton
22nd September 2002, 10:57 PM
Neil,Teknatool have a soft spot for the big markets as does any manufacturer...thats why we here in the backwater ...sorry Oz are last to be considered DVR or any thing else.
How doe's DVR compare with current lathe profiles from the same stable?

Good letter in the mailbox of the latest Australian Woodworkerwith accompaning photo's of a very senior Woodturner with laminated/segmented bowls he turned.

Cheers:}

------------------
Johnno

Roly
12th October 2002, 08:25 PM
Sorry to be so late in replying to this topic which I must admit has intriqued me for a long time.

Seeing the original posting made me go to my very limited library of books and have a look. I found a book on laminating in woodwork and before I wanted to comment I tried it. Very pretty work, very hard to get the precise measurements to make the job look schmick, I like it myself and found Yellow glue, providing you let it cure properly, to be an excellent medium. I know thst I will not go into laminated woodworking in a big way but I believe that it definitely has its place and looks tops.

ROly

sunshine
17th October 2002, 08:23 AM
I have taken a segmented bowl class at local
college and am having a great time. These
are really time consuming, but very interesting and beautiful.
And a great use for my giant pile of "cutoffs" from furniture making. Yellow glue is what is used for the rings, and seems to work very well, the method being to start with bottom on one faceplate, top ring on another faceplate, attach one ring at a time to each "end", turn the inside, when two halves meet in the middle (or at the widest ring), then glue pot together and turn the outside.
Each ring that is attached is let dry and then turned before the next ring is glued on.

Is this making any sense?

When you design the pot, each ring is laid out on graph paper and marked as to the width and legth of each piece. Then it's easy to cut segments correctly.

Oh, and I also became the PROUD owner of a DVR last week. I have to tell you that this lathe is SWEET!

Beginner that I am, I have never turned on such a solid, stable, smooth lathe before.
I love it!

Cheers, Phyllis (sunshine)

RETIRED
17th October 2002, 01:36 PM
BRAGGART http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Ian () Robertson

sunshine
18th October 2002, 07:21 AM
Gosh, I didn't think it showed...... http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

georgetroy
20th October 2002, 04:35 AM
For all you new and old segmented turners and laminators. We have another discussion group devoted to: Segmented & stave turning, carving, woodburning and painting. Sunshine I also have a DVR. The group is over 80 members and just 3 weeks old. Great albums of some beautiful creative work. GTH http://groups.msn.com/creativewoodturnersII

mn2tx
11th November 2002, 03:50 AM
I am new to this site so am late with a reply. I do some laminate turning. I use yellow glue. Works fine except on very hard oiley wood. I used it on a ring made of "Texass ebony" and it come apart. Now , on that wood , I rough up the surface and wipe with alochol immediatly before glueing. So far that has worked ok.

sunshine
12th November 2002, 08:39 AM
George: Thanks for the info. I have made
application to join your BB.

Aren't OUR lathes great??? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/wink.gif

Regards, Phyllis