PDA

View Full Version : Which lathe

Auzzie turner
14th September 2006, 11:52 PM
I am looking at purchasing a new lathe. What would be your choice of brand/make?

Please specify

Joash

Cliff Rogers
15th September 2006, 12:01 AM
Vicmarc VL300ESVX or similar. ;)

PS. You'll need a lazy $5K :o

DJ’s Timber
15th September 2006, 12:05 AM
Vicmarc VL300ESVX or similar. ;)

PS. You'll need a lazy $5K :o

same here

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 12:11 AM
better check my bank account:)

hughie
15th September 2006, 01:28 AM
I am looking at purchasing a new lathe. What would be your choice of brand/make?

Joash,

As Cliff says $$$ another good one would be the Stubby...but again $$$
Have a look at this link. $1350 plus frieght to WA makes it more affordable. A good buddy of mine has one and is very happy and a number of the guys on the forum use them as well

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2006, 03:37 AM
I reckon I could just scrape by with a Oneway 2436... :rolleyes:

...but the wallet wouldn't survive the operation. :(

hcbph
15th September 2006, 06:40 AM
Joash

I think before you ask what to purchase, you need to figure out what you want to do. I looked at your website but I don't see where you're saying you plan to only duplicate what you've done.

A bowl lathe is great if you turn bowls, but what if you're going to do mainly spindles? A lathe with a 24" swing is nice but a bit overkill if you're only doing pens. I think you need to define things like what you want to do, how big the objects you plan to turn, how big a space you have for it along with what type of electrical service you have available.
I do mostly spindle work (furniture pieces) plus an occassional dish. I can go 16"x60" and for me it works. For someone else it probably wouldn't.

I could say what I have but it's irrelevant right now as I don't know what you plan to do with a lathe. My opinion.

Paul

Ivan in Oz
15th September 2006, 06:57 AM
G'Day AT,
If you do not mind 2nd Hand,
keep your ears and Eyes open and you might score an exSchool one Like I did.

The one I got is 3Phase....I was told it was Single Phase:o
but no biggie.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=36822&highlight=Lathe
:D :) :D :) :D :) :D

Jim Carroll
15th September 2006, 08:42 AM
Tend to agree with Paul.

What do you think will be the needs for the lathe.

Bowl turning requires a big diameter and short bed

Spindle turning requires long bed and low centre height.

Pens etc only need a mini lathe.

Somewhere in between is the DVRXP or the VL175 which can both do spindle work and faceplate work.

My choice DVRXP more grunt down low for bowl work and smoother up high for spindle work.

If you do not have enough pennies right now save up as what is between what you have now and these lathes are not much of a change.

TTIT
15th September 2006, 09:41 AM
Joash,

Have a look at this link. $1350 plus frieght to WA makes it more affordable. A good buddy of mine has one and is very happy and a number of the guys on the forum use them as well

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html (http://members.ozemail.com.au/%7Ekjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html)
I'm planning on upgrading next year myself so I might as well hijack AT's thread! I wanted to go for the Leady but don't like the belt changing idea much :( (at all). Wonder if he's thought about a variable speed model?
Has anyone used the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642EVS to compare??? They both have all the spec's I want but I've not seen any of them in action, let alone used them?

clubbyr8
15th September 2006, 09:49 AM
I have a DVR (not the XP :( :( ) which I use , as Jim says, for bowl and spindle turning. This thing has plenty of grunt and is fun to use.

For pen turning I have a Jet mini lathe (not the VS) and this is a freat little lathe for pen turning.

If I had the money I would have bought like Cliff said a Vicmarc VL300ESVX, but I didn't and I more than happy with what I have got.

Bob

lubbing5cherubs
15th September 2006, 10:14 AM
Joash,

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~kjeeves/leady/lathe/lathe.html

That is a nice a lathe there Hughie. Not to expensive either. That is interesting for down the road
Toni

hcbph
15th September 2006, 10:36 AM
Has anyone used the Nova DVR and the Jet 1642EVS to compare???

TTIT
I can't speak to the Nova but I can speak to the Jet 1642-2 EVSR as I own one. 16"x42" capacity, headstock slides to the end for outboard turning, EVS with reverse, 0-3000 rpm with 2 speed ranges. It's a great machine and does everything I've asked it to. Along with the standard length, I added an 18" extension so I can turn up to 60" lengths, and I've done it (I changed the config a little due to space in the shop but it works well that way). I hung a shelf below the bed along with some drawers for chisels etc. If I wasn't storing my metal lathe under it, I could have added more.

Every lathe has a downside and this also has one: indexing stinks. You have a screw that you turn in and out to lock the spindle down (from the factory). I have a couple of ideas on a replacement process but I haven't tried anything yet.

Given what I do, I'd buy it again.

Paul

TTIT
15th September 2006, 10:48 AM
If I had the money I would have bought like Cliff said a Vicmarc VL300ESVX, but I didn't and I more than happy with what I have got.

Bob
I gotta ask Bob - what advantages do you see in the Vicmarc over the DVR?

TTIT
15th September 2006, 10:53 AM
If I wasn't storing my metal lathe under it, I could have added more.

Every lathe has a downside and this also has one: indexing stinks. You have a screw that you turn in and out to lock the spindle down (from the factory). I have a couple of ideas on a replacement process but I haven't tried anything yet.

Given what I do, I'd buy it again.

Paul
Must be a bit rough sittin' on the floor to use the metal lathe Paul!;):D

Didn't notice the screw on the indexer - how hard would it be to replace it with something spring loaded or does it not locate into a hole???

clubbyr8
15th September 2006, 11:25 AM
TTIT,

I like certain features of the Vicmarc that the DVR doesn't have.

The Vicmarc has some serious mass, the long bed version weighs 450kg as compared to the DVR of less than 100kg. Although I've moved my lathe twice since I bought it and if I had the Vicmarc, I wouldn't have a hope in hell of moving it. I like the idea of the Emergency Stop Knee Bar. I like the enclosed stand.

I suppose they are really cosmetic things and whether it's worth the extra $2K is subjective. Having said all that I haven't experienced any vibration issues with the DVR although I haven't turned any really out of balance items yet. I don't think you can go wrong with either lathe. I'm more than happed with the DVR, I just wish I could afford the upgrade to the XP.

Bob

Toasty
15th September 2006, 12:32 PM
I have a DVR (not the XP :( :( ) which I use , as Jim says, for bowl and spindle turning. This thing has plenty of grunt and is fun to use. ... If I had the money I would have bought like Cliff said a Vicmarc VL300ESVX, but I didn't and I more than happy with what I have got.
Yup in a world of excess funds I would have done the same or gotten a Stubby. But like you I am more than happy with my DVR3000

I'm more than happed with the DVR, I just wish I could afford the upgrade to the XP.
What are you after in the upgrade? I was dying for the five favorite speed ability but was then advised by Teknatool my DVR3000 already had it. Now I know how to use and set that my one major gripe with the lathe is now gone (scrolling up from 500rpm to 3500rpm just took toooooo long).

Toasty
15th September 2006, 12:37 PM
I am looking at purchasing a new lathe.
The two really important things you have to give us is what sort of budget are you looking at and what sort of turning do you want to do.

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 01:20 PM
I've got a budget up to $1500, possibly up to $2000

put in more details later

clubbyr8
15th September 2006, 01:22 PM
Yup in a world of excess funds I would have done the same or gotten a Stubby. But like you I am more than happy with my DVR3000

What are you after in the upgrade? I was dying for the five favorite speed ability but was then advised by Teknatool my DVR3000 already had it. Now I know how to use and set that my one major gripe with the lathe is now gone (scrolling up from 500rpm to 3500rpm just took toooooo long).

I like the look of the higher torque, remote functions and the five favorite speeds. How do you set them?

Bob

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 01:54 PM
I will very rarely turn spindles, it will mainly be vases platters, and bowls. It will need to be able to haold very off-centre peices, and have a low speed range, ie:200 RPM, it will need a high speed up to 2500 rpm. If you can reccomend a lathe in australia, let me know, or give me a link. I will be purchasing a lathe in a year or so, I will be able to spend around $3000. Lewt me know the best lathe in that price range,

Regards.........Joash

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 01:56 PM
it will also need a strong motor, hopefully around 2 and a half horse power

lubbing5cherubs
15th September 2006, 02:11 PM
Hey Joash, Have a look at carrols if you can scratch together $3000 if you are able to put another $295 plus postage. I think that nova for $3295 at Jim Carrols would be a top buy. That is my one day lathe. Here the link to about the lathe, so you can watch there stream on it and it capable. It will make you go weak at the knees with awe. Here (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR XP/Nova _DVRXP.htm)is the link
well the my opinion. I think she is gorgeous anyway
Toni

clubbyr8
15th September 2006, 02:26 PM
Hi Joash,

I agree with Toni, go with the DVR, you won't be sorry.

Bob

Toasty
15th September 2006, 02:38 PM
...and the five favorite speeds. How do you set them?
PM me your email address and I'll send you through the doco Teknatool sent me. It will be dependant on the firmware you have for your 3000, I'll let you know what that is as well when I get home.

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 03:03 PM
great lathe, but I need something with a very heft/heavy duty stand, something like the vicmarcs. I have somer huge bowl blanks, that won't fit on the MC900

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 04:25 PM
Or maybe I should consider purchasing this (http://www.dealsdirect.com.au/p/bell-carroll-wood-lathe/) lathe?:D :D :D :eek: :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2006, 04:40 PM
Well now... if you're in the market for that lathe, I'm sure we can work out a deal.... how does a pen blank and shipping costs sound? Oh... and no complaining about my ripping you off later! :D:D

They do make good linishers though. :rolleyes:

ss_11000
15th September 2006, 04:58 PM
weren't you considering the sherwood lathe???

with your price range i rekon you could get a vicmarc vl175 or similar.
i have seen a nova run and that was excellent so i think you would be happy with it.

Toasty
15th September 2006, 04:59 PM
it will also need a strong motor, hopefully around 2 and a half horse power

I need something with a very heft/heavy duty stand, something like the vicmarcs. I have somer huge bowl blanks, that won't fit on the MC900
You're either going to have to up your budget to around $4,000-$5,000 or get lucky buying second hand (not unheard of). For bowl lathes when you go above the likes of the DVR3000 or the Jet 1642, you are basically taking a big jump to more serious lathes such as the VL300 or maybe even a Stubby. I'm not aware of anything that lies in between...

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 05:10 PM
weren't you considering the sherwood lathe???

with your price range i rekon you could get a vicmarc vl175 or similar.
i have seen a nova run and that was excellent so i think you would be happy with it.
yeah that sherwood is in my list, but I'm thinking I might buy an expensive lathe second hand. I have evrrything else, chuck/chisels/etc:, so I will be looking around, but if you guys come up with something, I'd be interested. Thanks for all the feedback,

Regards.........Joash

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th September 2006, 05:16 PM
About your chuck: I hope you have one with a threaded insert? 'Tis a lot cheaper to buy the appropriate insert to suit another lathe than a whole new chuck. Also means more $$$ to put towards the lathe.

Just something to keep in mind.

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 05:18 PM
yep, got a vicmarc 120

baxter
15th September 2006, 05:22 PM
You could not go wrong with a Nova DVR XP, however a second hand DVR3000 would be an excellent buy.

ss_11000
15th September 2006, 05:27 PM
as an after thought, what about a wood fast lathe? either convert a second hand one to suit or buy new.

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 06:14 PM
yeah, been thinking of a woodfast. I want something big, heavy, stable, and TOUGH, to be able to handle all extremes of woodturning.

hcbph
15th September 2006, 08:28 PM
TTIT

Here's the page right out of the manual regarding indexing on the Jet. I suppose if you had the skills you could make a screw-in sleeve with a spring loaded pin. I picked up a plastic disk with indexing holes in it for an idea on what to do (plus it was cheap so it's a throw-away). I'm thinking it could be duplicated in metal and some form of bed mounted pin that engages the holes.

Right now it's not a big deal, but it's on my list of things to do.

Paul

cedar n silky
15th September 2006, 09:04 PM
When I was up at the Brisbane woodshow with $$ in my pocket ready to buy a good lathe, I checked all the lathes out. I liked the Nova, except it was a bit light, and required a sturdy stand, compared to the VL 175 i was looking at. The VL175 weighs 180 KG (not including the stand I think?)
But what won the Vicmarc over the Nova was the fact that you can work on the Vicmarc if bearings etc, need replacing, where as because the motor and headstock are all in one (with the Nova), if repairs were required, it would be very difficult to do them your self, and could end up really costly$$:eek:

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 09:57 PM
I think from all the info I have read in this thread, I am inclined to buy the
VL175. THanks for all the info guys, and I'll let you know what I decide,

Regards...........Joash

TTIT
17th September 2006, 12:47 AM
Here's the page right out of the manual regarding indexing on the Jet. I suppose if you had the skills you could make a screw-in sleeve with a spring loaded pin.
Thanks for that Paul - as soon as I saw the pic I remembered looking at it when I saw the lathe and wondering how it would go. It was actually what prompted me to post my indexing arrangement (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=322971#post322971) for my MC900.

But what won the Vicmarc over the Nova was the fact that you can work on the Vicmarc if bearings etc, need replacing, where as because the motor and headstock are all in one (with the Nova), if repairs were required, it would be very difficult to do them your self, and could end up really costly$$ Very good point Cedar!:) Will have to look into the maintenance side of the DVR. Anyone here pulled one apart????:confused:

hughie
17th September 2006, 02:16 AM
[

quote=TTIT;374809]Thanks for that Paul - as soon as I saw the pic I remembered looking at it when I saw the lathe and wondering how it would go. It was actually what prompted me to post my indexing arrangement (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=322971#post322971) for my MC900.
Very good point Cedar!:) Will have to look into the maintenance side of the DVR. Anyone here pulled one apart????:confused:
[/QUOTE]

Vern
The control would not be with in the motor itself but rather part of the housing and therefore come away with it. Motor bearings are very basic items, the only watch point would be the wiring. I dont think it would be a major problem take it easy and go slow.

But having said that the Vicmark is way heavier and has an easier access to bearings [cedars point] and is locally made...even if your are in Queensland.....:D big plus:)

The Nova has not been on the market that long, so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues....:( sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..not good for you....:( or our young friend in WA

For me I would and will go with the Leady when the time comes...unless.. I come into some extra $$$ then a Stubby.In the meantime I'll keep on with my severely modified MC1100.....:D stubbies distant cousin x5 times removed...:D ;) :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2006, 05:03 PM
Nice summary, Hughie, and I found myself nodding in agreement with your points & reasoning.

Scary, isn't it? :eek:

baxter
17th September 2006, 05:57 PM
The Nova has not been on the market that long, so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues....:( sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..not good for you....:( or our young friend in WA[/quote]

Then again Hughie if you haven't done it don't criticise it. I have had cause to do so. Service and help from Technatool was excellent. Could not complain.

If you prefer Leady, Stubby or something else then say so and leave it at that. Don't critise another brand or suggest that it has pitfalls unless you have good grounds to stand on.

That can be the problem with this forum. Ill-informed comment. If you don't know then don't say anything just for the sake or commenting!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
17th September 2006, 06:27 PM
Don't critise another brand or suggest that it has pitfalls unless you have good grounds to stand on.

That can be the problem with this forum. Ill-informed comment. If you don't know then don't say anything just for the sake or commenting!

:confused: He didn't criticise or put it down in any way, he simply stated: "there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues."

I believe that what Hughie's referring to is that, in a situation where the buyer's not living in suburbia and the shipping is a significant part of the lathe price, it's better to wait for a few years until the worst of the bugs are known and ironed out. No machinery is 100% perfect in the early days.

This is true even for new models from well-established manufacturers. [shrug]

Then again Hughie if you haven't done it don't criticise it. I have had cause to do so. Service and help from Technatool was excellent. Could not complain.

So, you've already had a problem with yours? :p

baxter
17th September 2006, 07:34 PM
[

But having said that the Vicmark is way heavier and has an easier access to bearings [cedars point] and is locally made...even if your are in Queensland..... big plus

The Nova has not been on the market that long, so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues.... sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..not good for you....or our young friend in WA /quote]

OK Skew lets look at exactly what Hughie said.

Firstly, because Vicmarc :) "...is locally made...even if your [sic] are in Queensland...big plus." The inference here is that something locally made is easier to have maintained because you are in Australia. No definition of where in Queensland so the inference must be taken that anywhere is good and that suburbia goes not come into it.

Secondly, "The Nova has not been on the market that long". I have owned my Nova DVR3000 for over two years and it was on the market some time before that, both in Australia and internationally.

Thirdly, "so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues...". How does he, or you, know that. The suggestion that there is, or might be, or that you think there might be some potential for mainenance issues is purely hypothetical. It is like me saying don't buy the new model Holden because there might be a problem. I have no grounds to substantiate that but it would be a good way to caste doubt in the minds of a potential buyer. I think that is called "starting a rumour!"

Fourthly, "sooo it might be a case of return to the agent...not good for you....or our young friend in WA." I live in Newcastle and there is no Vicmarc or other woodturning lathe manufacturer, - or for that matter woodworking tool retailer - that I would deal with in the immediate area. I brought my lathe and all other equipment (including the bandsaws, linisher, oscillating spindle sander and dust extraction equipment used by my wife who is also into woodworking) from suppliers outside Newcatle. Soooo on the "sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..." theory I should not have brought anything from outside Newcatle because I might have had to return it at some stage. We live in a big world. Distance is no longer a problem to those who do not live in the big smoke and should not be used as a deterent to suggest that people should not buy one product in preference to another.

I reiterate. If Hughie does not have anything to substantiate the comments, or inferences, that he made then he should not have made any at all.

As to your inquiry whether I have had a problem with my DRV3000. Yes. The issue was identified, raised by telephone (1800 number) with Technatool in NZ where I spoke with technical support staff. The problem was identifed and the replacement parts were shipped directly to me. I have no technical skills, however, using the information that Technatool gave me, I was able to replace the offending part. No big problem. No returning to the agent and the service from Technatool was first class.

I would probably expect the same service from another reputable lathe manufacturer, however I would not have been able to rely on anybody in the Newcatle area for technical support irrespective of the manufacturer.

Skew, I appreciate the imput you put into this forum and look forward to reading the technical information, and practical tips, that you give. However I do think that nobody should make inferences which could be construed as an informed comment, that might be detrimental, about any brand or product.

hughie
17th September 2006, 09:42 PM
locally made is easier to have maintained because you are in Australia.
Firstly, because Vicmarc :) "...is locally made...even if your [sic] are in Queensland...big plus." The inference here is that something

The inference is correct and I make no apologies for it.

No definition of where in Queensland so the inference must be taken that anywhere is good and that suburbia goes not come into it.

As to defintion it was an comment in regard to TTIT's comment on his choice of a Leady. If you look him up he's in Emerald, to me that is some what distant.

Secondly, "The Nova has not been on the market that long". I have owned my Nova DVR3000 for over two years and it was on the market some time before that, both in Australia and internationally.

As far a new machinery goes 2 years is not long, certaintly not long enought for all the possibilties of design to out work themselves. The fact that its available here and internationally is largley irrelevant to the initial comments.As you would pu it, an 'assumption' that having down so makes it all the better or worse.

Thirdly, "so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues...". How does he, or you, know that. The suggestion that there is, or might be, or that you think there might be some potential for mainenance issues is purely hypothetical.

Whether you like it or not everything has maint issues...even Rolls Royce. The comment as to 'maint experience' was, and is directed at locally based knowledge from networking with other turners in our respected areas. There are more likely to be Vicmark owners and even older models have strong simalarities and there fore 'knowledge of maint issues' will be available.
The Nova would be a bit more tricky to attempt maint. and if you read thorugh the forum you will see most owners will consider doing thier own maint. So this is a concern of many here and there fore valid.

It is like me saying don't buy the new model Holden because there might be a problem. I have no grounds to substantiate that but it would be a good way to caste doubt in the minds of a potential buyer. I think that is called "starting a rumour!"

I did not say what to buy, but simply stated my preference. Joash is more than able to sift through the replies and come the best conclusion for himself

Fourthly, "sooo it might be a case of return to the agent...'not good for you'....or our young friend in WA."

Our young friend has a limited budget and so must spend it the best way he knows. If he has to send it anywhere it will be a cost, if only in time.If he can network with others in solving a problem, then good. He may never have a problem, but its nice to have the option.
The 'sooo' that seems to have captured your attention, is not that important, simply there to indicate a possiblity. If you have read any of my other posts you would be familar with the style.As to ''you'' see comment on TTIT

Distance is no longer a problem to those who do not live in the big smoke and should not be used as a deterent to suggest that people should not buy one product in preference to another.

Whether you believe it or not distance has its tyranny in this country. It will cost you something ie time, money,frustration and or effort.If you own a foreign import rather than a locally made product you will find the further you go away from the main supply centre the ahrder it gets. ie Omega lathes have only one outlet in Australia as far as I know and you need to deal with them direct by phone forget email etc. Not to mention car parts in the bush.Or buy/get a main board for your LG aircon unit in Cairns....its ex Sydney...been there and done that, twas a hot wait......three weeks

I reiterate. If Hughie does not have anything to substantiate the comments, or inferences, that he made then he should not have made any at all.

As this is a free forum, where all opinions are welcomed along with experience, it is a collective of information based around experience.And I was not aware of the need to prop up my thoughts with hard evidence.It was after all an opinion based on my observations.

I made my comments based on the following:

I am more than familar with the company in question and have had the need to deal with them in both purchase and after sales service.

Over 30 years experience in engineering both here and abroad, 10 of which involved in Research and Development as a manager of an engineering workshop for a major global manufacturing company.

Have lived and worked in most major centres in this country and many smaller communities and have faced the need to seek service and parts

This is a forum of which one needs to be some what thick skinned. I have only replied due to the on going comments by your self, normally I would let it go.

go in peace, stop and smell the roses more often. lifes too short

cedar n silky
17th September 2006, 09:53 PM
I opened the can of worms, I guess:D . It was only based on observation, and because I live "way out in the bush", I fix a lot of my own stuff, rather than take/ tow or whatever into town. And on that point, I looked at the Nova and thought "geez, with the motor and headstock all rolled into one (including I imagine some of the electronics), If I had to pull it apart, it might be a BIG JOB!!:eek:
I just think it makes more sense if the motor is seperate from the headstock, and only joined by a belt, because, if there is a problem with the motor, well i can deal with the motor!!;) If I need to replace the bearings, well I just deal with the bearings:p
Baxter sure has a "burr in his ass"- maybe forgot to take his medication or something- maybe "just a bad hair day". But it does seem a bit of an over reaction to Hughies comments.
And to be fair, i probably would choose an older holden over a new one, because I can work on an older one, where as, the newer cars need to be plugged into a computer for diagnosis!!:mad:

baxter
17th September 2006, 11:52 PM
I accept this this is a free forum. However I, rightly or wrongly, construed portion of Hughie's post #41 as inferring problems with Nova products without any apparent substantiation within that post - or any that had immediately preceded it. Everything else, that has been said in the subsequent posts, is peripheral.

Being "thick skinned" is not be the point. Accuracy and not supposition is the issue.

I will "go in peace, stop and smell the roses more often" but I don't think that should mean that I do not have the right to question the content of posts which I consider imply fault without apparent substantiation. I think that we all should take notice of what Neil has said in the "sticky" at the beginning of each thread.

TTIT
18th September 2006, 09:35 AM
Been offline for the weekend - out bush collecting trees - looks like there's been a cat amongst the pidgeons :eek:.

Baxter - I see what you're getting at but I would not have read anything Hughie wrote as rubbishing Teknatool or that there was anything wrong with the DVR's. With my own background in industrial instrumentation, I'm well aware of the maintenance issues and possible problems associated with drive units like the DVR. I'm also aware of their advantages. Though I might happily install a unit like that for a customer with a service contract, like Cedar, I prefer simple setups in my shed that I can "patch" when the need arises rather than wait for 'technical support'. That doesn't mean I'm no longer considering one either. Haven't decided one way (pun) or the other yet. Will soak up all the info from forum regulars and newbies alike and make my own, well researched decision when the time comes.

Distance is no longer a problem to those who do not live in the big smoke and should not be used as a deterent to suggest that people should not buy one product in preference to another. Now you've got me started!:mad: You're in Newcastle :eek: - it might as well be a suburb of Sydney - come for a drive out here and try dealing with hardware problems from manufacturers that have no idea where you are or care that it costs more to freight the item back than it did to buy it.:( Our remoteness is still an enormous issue in more ways than you can imagine - you've been listening to too much tripe from politicians if you believe otherwise. The internet and a global economy have done nothing to help out here - except maybe providing this forum...:D

lubbing5cherubs
18th September 2006, 09:44 AM
. The internet and a global economy have done nothing to help out here - except maybe providing this forum...:D
And Jim Carrol, GPW, etc. LOL, sorry mate could resist that wise crack
bye
Toni

ss_11000
20th September 2006, 09:26 PM
what about this one

beaver lathe with swivel head.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14570_14702

meant to be a vicmarc cousin so it should be good.

hth

Cliff Rogers
20th September 2006, 10:20 PM
.....beaver lathe with swivel head.....

Sounds like something from a dream? :rolleyes: :cool: :D

ss_11000
20th September 2006, 10:51 PM
Sounds like something from a dream? :rolleyes: :cool: :D
you have weird dreams then:p :D

cheers mate:)

Cliff Rogers
20th September 2006, 11:03 PM
First thing I remember was askin' papa, "Why?",
For there were many things I didn't know.
And Daddy always smiled; took me by the hand,
Sayin', "Someday you'll understand."

RETIRED
21st September 2006, 08:49 AM
......and, do you?:)

cedar n silky
21st September 2006, 09:07 AM
what about this one

http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_14570_14702

meant to be a vicmarc cousin so it should be good.

hth
The best thing to do is to get to a wood show, and look at them "in the flesh" I checked the Beaver out, and yes it is a "cousin" (a poor second cousin, in my opinion) to the Vicmarc.
There is about $1000 between the 2 lathes. The Beaver is 500mm shorter, and if you compare specs, there are significant differences. I've also had some poor experiences with some of the motors attached to Asian machinery in years past! (this may not be the case anymore) There is an old saying "you get what you pay for":)

TTIT
21st September 2006, 09:21 AM

Bugga! I thought the link was to a site;):D:D:D

The Beaver is about the same price as the Jet but doesn't have enough clearance over the bed for my needs - good looking lathe though.:) Thanks Stirlo.

lubbing5cherubs
23rd September 2006, 01:04 AM
While we are talking lathe..Sorry joash I am going to hijack your thread to ask some questions too. I am wondering you know how Jet have mini and larger one too. Do leda too?? for one day just a question that been bugging me. And if so roughly how much are they and are they as good as their mini? and do they have the head that swivels?
Toni

Doughboy
23rd September 2006, 01:20 AM
Beavers that swivel

Ledas that swivel

My god is there anything a lathe cant do??? Next thing you know is they will be able to boil the kettle and fetch us a cuppa!!!!

I have to say if money was not an issue I'd go the Vicmarc but how much do you sacrifice by going to the Nova DVR XP instead? Yet here I am latheless.......... still

Pete

Auzzie turner
23rd September 2006, 11:27 AM
The best thing to do is to get to a wood show, and look at them "in the flesh" I checked the Beaver out, and yes it is a "cousin" (a poor second cousin, in my opinion) to the Vicmarc.
There is about $1000 between the 2 lathes. The Beaver is 500mm shorter, and if you compare specs, there are significant differences. I've also had some poor experiences with some of the motors attached to Asian machinery in years past! (this may not be the case anymore) There is an old saying "you get what you pay for":)
Yeah, at the wood show, I demonstrated next to a Beaver lathe, and was'nt to impressed with it. For the price, I'd get a vicmarc.

Joash

Joash
31st October 2006, 05:22 PM
Ok, I thought I would just bring this thread back up, instead of making a whole new one.

Still havent purchased a lathe. I saw a review of the Nova 3000 lathe on the woodworking channel last night, and was very impressed.

I was wondering if they are available in Australia. I know trend timbers supplies them, who else does in Australia?

Thanks,
Joash

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 05:52 PM
Jim at Carrolls (http://www.cws.au.com/index.html) sells them

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 05:57 PM
Yep Joash, Jim does and he gives out of towners brilliant service. Can't say enough about his brilliant service
Toni

Sprog
31st October 2006, 06:32 PM
Still havent purchased a lathe. I saw a review of the Nova 3000 lathe on the woodworking channel last night, and was very impressed.

I was wondering if they are available in Australia. I know trend timbers supplies them, who else does in Australia?

Thanks,
Joash

Timbecon have the Nova DVR XP

http://www.timbecon.com.au/details/nova-dvr-xp-woodlathe-14348.aspx

Power Tools and Machinery Sales have the Nova 3000

http://www.ptms.com.au/cgi-bin/PTMstore.pl?user_action=detail&catalogno=NOVA3000

The DVR XP is really nice :D

There are some videos for the DVRXP on the Teknatool site
http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm

wands
31st October 2006, 06:49 PM
Joash,

Not sure if you want to go down the second hand path but,
http://paramountbrowns.ihub.com.au/DesktopDefault.aspx?ItemID=1929110&TabID=92890&Alias=paramountbrownsau

Check out the $850 one that is 3 phase (with your spare change you'd be able to get a converter to 240V). You'd be able to pull off the sanding disk and turn on the outside, giving you ample room for platters etc.

Cheers, Steve

Joash
31st October 2006, 07:27 PM
Hi, thanks for the help and replies, I am still interested if anyone knows of a one-off lathe, and also if somebody knows of a Nova-3000 (http://www.cws.au.com/persistent/catalogue_images/products/Picture%20025.jpg) closer. Click on the link, to see which nova 3000 I mean.

Thanks,
Joash

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 07:35 PM
Joash the lathe you have pictured is actually the Nova 1624-44 (http://teknatool.com/products/Lathes/1624/Nova%20_1624.htm). the Nova 3000 (http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/3000/nova.htm) is this one

Joash
31st October 2006, 07:40 PM
ok, sorry, I have contacted quite a few people, and hope to see some results.

Thanks for the help,

Joash

Jim Carroll
31st October 2006, 08:09 PM
The Nova 3000 was the original lathe of this shape and has proven to be a very reliable lathe.
The Nova 1624-44 is the updated version with mostly cosmetic changes to the bed and headstock, it also comes with the 1.5hp motor which has a forward/ reverse switch as standard, it can be extended and the outrigger will also fit onto it. Making it a very versitile lathe.

We have one at the moment which is our demo lathe and we have been advised today that we will have delivery of the lathes in mid January 2007 so get your orders in now.

The Nova 3000 is no longer available, spare parts are still available.

The above lathes are 8 speed belt drive if you want to go to Electronic Variable speed then you would need to look at the DVRXP.

Joash
31st October 2006, 08:18 PM
Ok, so are there certain special prices for that lathe? So what about the demo lathe?

Joash:)

WoodenHeart
5th November 2006, 05:58 PM
Hi Aussie Turner,
I've got a Carbatec Mini Lathe for sale if you're interested. I bought it over a couple of years ago but have never used it. Have also got a small kit of 3 gouges bought from the same place. I would like $250.00 for it if you are interested. Think they're over $300 + kit new.

WoodenHeart

Joash
5th November 2006, 06:15 PM
Jurien bay.....there's a jurien bay up the coast from us...u in WA??

PM sent

WoodenHeart
5th November 2006, 06:26 PM
Hi Joash, Sorry want to sell gouges with lathe. Good luck.

trover
9th November 2006, 03:08 PM
[quote=TTIT;373622]I'm planning on upgrading next year myself so I might as well hijack AT's thread! I wanted to go for the Leady but don't like the belt changing idea much :( (at all). Wonder if he's thought about a variable speed model?

Get Bruce to fit his motor lifting handle, I can't see a problem there, if you want a variable speed motor add $800 or so.
Now would be a good time to order a leady lathe, but you will have to be patient and wait for a while.

I have one on order - full report after it arrives.

TTIT
9th November 2006, 04:08 PM
Get Bruce to fit his motor lifting handle, I can't see a problem there, if you want a variable speed motor add $800 or so.
Now would be a good time to order a leady lathe, but you will have to be patient and wait for a while.

I have one on order - full report after it arrives.I'm actually waiting on that very report ;)!. The Leady is still very much an option but a supplier in Brisbane has me on tender-hooks waiting to see a new model lathe that he claims will leave everything else for dead. Getting edgy though - usually look at buying myself a new toy for xmas about this time of year! :) Gone right off the Nova idea after hearing a few horror stories.

baxter
9th November 2006, 04:23 PM
Gone right off the Nova idea after hearing a few horror stories.

If you have some specific information that you can substantiate then detail it. Otherwise don't just make unsubstantiated comments about any brand.

Don Nethercott
9th November 2006, 07:02 PM
In the end almost any lathe can be a good one - if you get one that does what you want it to at a price you can afford. Nothing wrong with a $300 Carba-Tek lathe if that is all you can afford, if you a a beginner, or if it is something you might only use once a blue moon.

I have had a Woodfast for year and it has been a great machine, and still is for what it is meant to do. Changing belts didn't worry me too much. Didn't need variable speed - what would I need that for??

Then I did a course with Richard Raffan at Grafton Artsfest - upgraded my woodturning skills - and had a go on one of his Vicmarc variable speeds. Didn't buy the factory but now have a Vicmarc VL100 with variable speed. Sure I can't do outboard turning, but I can use the Woodfast for that (the headstock slides to the end so I can do endboard??!! turning. Not only that but the Woodfast headstock fits on the Vicmarc base. The chucks and all the other bits are also interchangeable - a real bonus!

Can't do bowls etc over 250mm, but am more interested in lidded boxes, vases, etc so suits me fine. Can do bigger ones on the Woodfast (not getting rid of that!!)

Price suited me, half that of a Vicmarc VL175 or a Nova or one of the new Woodfasts.

If you want to do stairspindles or huge bowls, go for a Nova, a big Woodfast or a Nova (provided you have a spare $3 to $4K).

Of course most of us are Australian so doesn't hurt to buy Australian if there is little difference between 2 products.

Most well known companies will give good service if we go about it the right way. Nothing like abuse to get put at the end of the list.

In the end its a matter of deciding what you are willing to spend, then trying the different lathes within that price range if you can. That's where friends, woodturning clubs, etc come in handy.

At the Richard Raffan course I was able to watch (and could have tried if I asked) a Nove, a Carba-Tek, a Beaver, a Vicmarc and a Jet (I think it was). They all seemed good machines but each had its little characteristics that are really personal likes and dislikes. I went for the Vicmarc based on price, Australian made and the fact that it would do most that I would want of a lathe, and the Woodfast would do the rest (but with manual belt changing)

Good luck with your search and hope you get one you are happy with - for a few years at least. Your needs/tastes may very well change in the future.
Don

cedar n silky
9th November 2006, 08:54 PM
:) Gone right off the Nova idea after hearing a few horror stories.
Yur not ....stirring again are you TTIT:D

Christopha
9th November 2006, 09:52 PM
[quote=baxter;375012]
The Nova has not been on the market that long, so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues.... sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..not good for you....or our young friend in WA /quote]

Funny that, I demoed the DVR on MIKs' stand at the Adelaide woodshow 6 years ago......

baxter
9th November 2006, 10:05 PM
[

Vern

The Nova has not been on the market that long, so there probably is not much experience out there yet on maint issues....:( sooo it might be a case of return to the agent..not good for you....:( or our young friend in WA
:D[/quote]

Christopha I would have thought that you have been a member of the forum long enough to know that if you are going to have a shot at someone then you should get your facts right.

The quote you attributed to me was actually my quoting Hughie in his earlier post.

If you can't get it right then don't say anything:p .