PDA

View Full Version : The 4hr table that became an Epic

Flowboy
15th September 2006, 12:10 PM
Hi everyone,
Don'tcha hate it when...

Some pics of the little table I was making out of Red Box:eek: :eek: and Red Ironbark. (seems I have a bit of that at the moment).
The idea was to make a domino trough around the outside of the top and the legs, with the "inlay" mitreing at the corners. The inlay is 20mm deep by 10mm high. Perfect for the domino. So I would have a fairly strong joint around the perimeter of the table. The hook is that I was then going to cut in 5mm dominos behind the inlay to further strengthen the joint. It was worth a try anyway.
So.. I started sanding the top with the four legs and their 20mm deep troughs sitting nearby. Suddenly, they all move and one falls to the ground landing perfectly on the outside corner and shatters the top of the leg joint.
Back to frames again!!
Pic 1 is the leg cuts
Pic 2 is the top with trough
Pic 3 is the inlay mitred to fit.

Sniff!

Rob

Auld Bassoon
15th September 2006, 08:04 PM
Interesting construction method Rob. Is this the 04:30 starter? :D

BTW I can empathise with WiP objects landing on hard cement floors - I now try and make sure that I have some rubber matting around the bench; not foolproof, but it does help.

Flowboy
15th September 2006, 09:05 PM
Hi Steve,

It was in fact the 4:30 jobby. The amount of clear timber above the trough would have shattered even with rubber, to whit I have several inches of sawdust shavings there, but they didn't work either.
The construction method is interesting, I agree, but the fit of all the inlay, and depth of such (20mm), coupled with being joined at the back by 5mm dominos would have given sufficient strength for the size of the table (150mmx280mm). Also, since a second shelf was to be added, this would have helped also.
I'll try it again I think. Certainly the inlay and mitres have to be tight.
One thing, though, I went back to using Ironbark as the rails. For a 450x280mm table I suspecct it will need registration as a lethal weapon.:D

Regards, and avagoodweegend,

Rob

Auld Bassoon
15th September 2006, 09:09 PM
One thing, though, I went back to using Ironbark as the rails. For a 450x280mm table I suspecct it will need registration as a lethal weapon.:D

Regards, and avagoodweegend,

Rob
:D :D Your Honour, the home invader was lurking, so I biffed him over the noggin with a small table that was to hand.... :eek: :D :D