PDA

View Full Version : Recycled timber

rgum
15th September 2006, 05:19 PM
:D Anyone collecting timber to recycle? I got some damn fine Jarrah boards i got the nails outa with a pop rvrtr. Didn't disturb the nail heads on the walking side and putty. Old Redgum fence posts i take the checkouts off and end up with bout 65mm sq. Not that hard to get the nails outa. Guess ya gotta be keen but gee it comes up bloody great. Biscuit a few togthr and whammo!. :eek: I think? ha he. Stack of Oregon i rip down into gate pickets. ( annual oiling req ).
Anyone inclined to share work on their machinery? I'd love to get use of a planing mach in exchange for anything i can offer.
Can't always go to work and use our machines. Never know what mood the boss ( one of em ) is in ha he.
Thanks Tony. :D

Auzzie turner
15th September 2006, 06:44 PM
mmmmm

Wrong place to put a thread of this sort mate.

This is a woodturning thread

u will get more results in a different part of the forum

Hickory
16th September 2006, 01:36 AM
I do a lot of recycling of old wood. You have to watch out for the nails and screws, Just because you pulled them out does not mean they are all gone. Rusty nails leave a scale in the wood this scale is as hard as the iron nails on planer blades. As well as screws, often when you remove screws the tips are left behind, the tips are the thinist and most brittle part of the screw and on entry or removal they often break off and be come a detriment to planer blades. Another contension is the grit and soil on the wood, Wind blown sand & soil contain particles that dull blades as well. Also the paint on old wood is hard on planer blades.

You will be hard pressed to find a WWer who is willing to sacrifice his equipment to help you out. I would do it but I think you will find it rather expensive to bring your Timbers to my shop. But I would love to have some AUS wood to work with.

hughie
16th September 2006, 10:19 PM
You will be hard pressed to find a WWer who is willing to sacrifice his equipment to help you out. I would do it but I think you will find it rather expensive to bring your Timbers to my shop. But I would love to have some AUS wood to work with.

Aint that the truth!

As for recycling I just picked up some merbau flooring off cuts 75mmx20mmx 650mm [3''x3/4''x2'] 30-40 or so. Gonna glue em up for some wok shaped platters with legs A la Ern.