PDA

View Full Version : Deep hollowing jigs

WoodNerd
18th September 2006, 08:05 PM
Recently I have become interested in the art of deep hollowing. I find that you can spend a great deal of money on different systems that are available and given that I find it much more rewarding (and cheaper) to make my own tools and jigs (as many people in this forum) I would like to put together my own. Howerver, I my ambitions are not great so I don't want a jig to hollow something like this (http://http://www.timberlinedesigns.com.au/pages/Enlarged_Click/teepookanasizeVinceopenBottle.htm)
but something smaller than this (http://http://www.laymar-crafts.co.uk/tip24.htm)

(these are both really good sites to furthur explore)

So my questions are:

Can I make an effective system out of wood or does it have to be metal?

Can people post pics of their shop-made models?

I see a lot of “cutter tips” advertised (such as the Munro system and the Hamlet style system) as apposed to the regular scraping bit. Is the “cutter” shape actually better or is it just a gimmick?

Thanks

P.S tomorrow I will post some of my homemade tools that I hope will be compatible with the ‘soon to be’ hollowing system and some others.

OGYT
19th September 2006, 05:42 AM
So my questions are:
1. Can I make an effective system out of wood or does it have to be metal?
2. Can people post pics of their shop-made models?
3. I see a lot of “cutter tips” advertised (such as the Munro system and the Hamlet style system) as apposed to the regular scraping bit. Is the “cutter” shape actually better or is it just a gimmick?
Thanks
P.S tomorrow I will post some of my homemade tools that I hope will be compatible with the ‘soon to be’ hollowing system and some others.

1. I've always thought I could make anything out of wood that could be built out of metal... so you probably could, too. In this instance, I think metal would be better, due to the movement of wood as conditions change.:confused: :confused:
2. Yes, you can, you betcha! We'd all like to see 'em, cause we want to copy 'em.:D :eek:
3. I hear the Rolly Munroe hollowers cut beautifully. Though I've never personally had one in my hands. I can see how those little round cutters would really chew up some wood.

I've been in the process of building my own captured rig hollowing system for a long time, but still haven't got all the stuff together yet. I never want to do somethin' today that I can put off 'til next week.:rolleyes:
Deep hollowing is fun, WoodNerd, go for it... give it your best shot.

TTIT
19th September 2006, 08:59 AM
Can people post pics of their shop-made models?
<!--[if !supportEmptyParas]--> <!--[endif]--><o =""></o>
I see a lot of “cutter tips” advertised (such as the Munro system and the Hamlet style system) as apposed to the regular scraping bit. Is the “cutter” shape actually better or is it just a gimmick?

What happened to the pics of your 'life' works??? Tsk, tsk :mad: You show me yours, I'll show you mine! :p Us old farts remember these things see! ;)

Or you can look at this thread (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?p=338454#post338454) for my MkII rig - the MkIII is better. Also search for Hughie's threads - heaps of good ideas there!:D

WoodNerd
19th September 2006, 11:43 AM
sorry ill post those pics asap

looks like you guys run a very tight ship around here. (i just have to get the camera back from the camera guy)

and thanks for the pics TTIT, that system looks like it works beautifully

WoodNerd
19th September 2006, 04:47 PM
I made this boring bar thing having in mind that I could use it in the future for my deep hollowing system.

But in the meantime I came up with the design pictured which works surprisingly well,

The wooden strut prevents the thing from twisting which was my biggest problem given that the cutter was on the side and the bar was bent. The strut can be moved up and down using the red gum wedge so that the wooden part can be in contact with the rest at all times for support against twisting.

The HHS metal-lathe cutter is silver soldered in to a hole through the bar. You might notice there is a thread in the top this is from a failure to make a rotating head cutter, but ended up being very handy to get the silver solder in contact with the HHS.

The other tool pictured is my flat ended scraper (the one with the handle). I also have twisting trouble with this one.

Jim Carroll
19th September 2006, 04:48 PM
Woodnerd if you want to see how these hollowers are used properly then go to the woodshow in Melbourne.
You will see Rolly Munro on our stand and Enzo from Vermec will be there with his hollowing jig.

WoodNerd
19th September 2006, 05:00 PM
when is the next one? (around melbourne)

Jim Carroll
19th September 2006, 09:05 PM
20-22nd of October at Bracks Shack

hughie
20th September 2006, 01:34 AM
The wooden strut prevents the thing from twisting which was my biggest problem given that the cutter was on the side and the bar was bent. The strut can be moved up and down using the red gum wedge so that the wooden part can be in contact with the rest at all times for support against twisting.

Woodnerd, have a chat to Gil he's got some good pics of hollowing tools with articulated ends. Heres one he sent me not unlike yours.

The HHS metal-lathe cutter is silver soldered in to a hole through the bar. You might notice there is a thread in the top this is from a failure to make a rotating head cutter, but ended up being very handy to get the silver solder in contact with the HHS.

Have a go at grub or set screws as this will make it easier to sharpen or change the HSS tool bit. Other wise good effort, you will find it works well....if have not done so already :D