PDA

View Full Version : Another Hollow Form

Gil Jones
20th September 2006, 02:13 PM
This one is also Spalted Beech, but with an ebonized Oak Burl collar. It is 5" hi X 7" wide. Finished with boiled linseed oil, and not buffed yet.

OGYT
20th September 2006, 02:59 PM
Another one! Beautiful. Did you turn both of these from wet wood? Got a reason for askin'.
How big an opening in the collar?

Gil Jones
20th September 2006, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Al, the Beech was blown down about 8 months ago and while it is not very wet, it is green enough to develop a few small cracks that needed filling.
edit: forgot this part, the opening in the collar is .500", the opening in the HF is 1.125"

Skew ChiDAMN!!
20th September 2006, 03:48 PM
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon14.gif That's a nice piece of work, mate!

ss_11000
20th September 2006, 04:34 PM
another nice peice mate.

TTIT
20th September 2006, 04:55 PM
This is gettin' like Skew and his Pittosperum :rolleyes: - how much of that Beech have you got there Gil??? :eek:;)
Very nice form and a lovely bit of wood mate! You marry the two nicelyl.:D

hughie
20th September 2006, 08:39 PM
This one is also Spalted Beech, but with an ebonized Oak Burl collar. It is 5" hi X 7" wide. Finished with boiled linseed oil, and not buffed yet

Gil, your at it again. As Skew says when is the opening of the exhibition....Delmano of course. ;)

This one looks even better

BernieP
20th September 2006, 11:03 PM
Hi Gil
Appreciate you blokes photos gives us newbies something to aspire to
Bernie

Gil Jones
21st September 2006, 07:00 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments.
TTIT, I have about 20 feet of it, and the rest of the tree is still in the forest awaiting my saw (according to the land owner). As nice as this wood is, I suppose going after more of it would be a good idea. I wish our countries were a bit closer together, as wood swaps are fun.
Hughie, I think the del Mano gallery might be a bit of a stretch (though a nice stretch).
Bernie, it is great that we are all able to learn from each other.