PDA

View Full Version : 'bout as dirty as it gets...

OGYT
24th September 2006, 08:12 AM
This is about as dirty as the lathe ever gets. Don't like the shavings in my tennys or my shorts.:eek:
The tool is a homemade Oland tool... a 5/8 shaft ground down to fit into a 1/2" black pipe, with a 1/4" cutter. I coated the pipe with red rubber, just 'cause it's cold to my wittle hands in the winter. :o The pipe is filled with B-B's to add heft. I switch back and forth between the Oland tool and a Don Pencil Hollower, for gouging out the inside.
The turning on the lathe is red oak. It's also wet. When I have to stop turning to go to a fire or accident, I spray it with the soap solution, and wrap it in plastic trash bag to keep it from cracking. It doesn't always work. Had to seal a couple of small ones with CA. :mad: But it does work most of the time.:D
Saw a hollowform sort of like this when I went to the WC Gathering in Georgia, back in April. Looked different, so I made this one. The hole in the bottom goes all the way through.
It's about 28cm dia X 23cm tall. The top dome and rim are about 3/16" thick and the sides are about 3/8" thick (don't have a conversion for fractions). Finished the outside with Danish Oil, and sealed inside the top with it, also, but left the rest of the inside bare, to dry. (I think that's why I did it....)
It's already beginning to warp out of shape. My kind of Oak! :D

A.WILLIAMS
24th September 2006, 09:02 AM
Man i can't wait till i learn a little more so i can make stuff like that, if you dont mind me asking is the roller blade wheel setup thing for stabalization.

OGYT
24th September 2006, 12:42 PM
I've always heard it referred to as a bowl steady. Yep, you hit the nail on the head... it's for stabilization. :D When you're cutting on the inside of a bowl, the wood tries to get away from the cutter, by warping outward. The rollerblade wheels ride on the outside of the bowl and keep that warping action to a minimum.:p
I think this shot is a little better. If my air hose ain't in the way.:eek: Nope, it isn't much better, so I'll try to explain it a little. Sorry that it's covered with an old rag. (keeps the finish off my bed ways).
The wheels are mounted with two bolts with wing nuts. One is in a hole closest to the bowl, as a pivot point. The other bolt travels in an arc to allow tightening the wheel against the bowl. I have six different places that I can mount the wheels on the vertical stanchion.
The wood is baltic birch plywood, the bottom has a slot for the mounting bolt to slide in, to allow inward and outward alignment. I strengthened the bottom board with some rigid aluminimum trim that I had laying around, to keep it from flexing too much.
If you need me to, I can try to get another pic posted later.

ss_11000
24th September 2006, 01:26 PM
awesome design and work mate :cool:

OGYT
24th September 2006, 01:37 PM
Stirlo, much as I'd like to take the credit for it, I can't. :( Saw a photo somewhere, and decided to make one for myself. I made a few changes to it, but it's basically the same as I saw. It really works well.:D
I buy old Rollerblades at the Goodwill or Salvation Army stores for about 2-5 bucks a pair. I try to get those with the largest (3") wheels, and make sure they aren't too worn off on the tires. That means the bearings are probably still good. ;)
Thanks for the kind remarks.

cedar n silky
24th September 2006, 02:01 PM
Nice bowl, and good to see all those shavings all over your lathe, I was beginning to worry there!!:D What's this "fire and accident stuff" just out of interest? Do you guys have a volunteer fire and emergency service where you live? are you a volunteer? We have a volunteer service up where I live, and I have been involved for 20 years. Here's a site for you to check out if your interested!:) www.rfs.nsw.gov.au (http://www.rfs.nsw.gov.au)
Cheers:D

ss_11000
24th September 2006, 02:15 PM
oh well,it still looks good. did i say your lathe lokks better now :p

OGYT
24th September 2006, 03:09 PM
Cedar n silky, that's it. :cool: Our Fire Department has 9 paid men and 29 volunteers. I used to be a paid man for a couple of years, got Texas Certified, and went to the oil field for the money.:eek: Came back later, and I've been a Volunteer for 18 years now.
Now that I'm a retired old man (when I'm not out of town or sick) I'm a Pumper Operator on structure fires (I wear a beard, so I don't get to go inside anymore), but I do get to ride the Bar-b-que Grill on range fires.:D (That's where I get my dose of adrenaline) :eek:
On auto accidents, I operate the operate the hydraulic pump for our Hurst Jaws of Life, and just do other gopher stuff.
Keeps me going.
I checked out the NSW Rural Fire Service Website you posted. Enjoyed the pics... (we do a big fire prevention week here every year with the kids) But I couldn't find any pics from Tuntable Falls (I think I spelled that right.) :confused:
Looks like you blokes have a lot of fun! :D

cedar n silky
24th September 2006, 07:54 PM
Cedar n silky, that's it. :cool:Keeps me going.
I checked out the NSW Rural Fire Service Website you posted. Enjoyed the pics... (we do a big fire prevention week here every year with the kids) But I couldn't find any pics from Tuntable Falls (I think I spelled that right.) :confused:
Looks like you blokes have a lot of fun! :D
Good on you Al!:) Sounds like we have had parralell paths in life!!:D I worked with the fire Service for a couple of years, but got out due to the very long hours, and my deteriorating health, and now do similar to you- Play with wood and lathes!!:) Except when the pager goes off,or the grandchildren are around!!
All the best.:)
Tony

hughie
25th September 2006, 02:17 PM
Man i can't wait till i learn a little more so i can make stuff like that, if you dont mind me asking is the roller blade wheel setup thing for stabalization

Just so the the addiction is complete heres a few more to look at.

Nice bit of round the corner turning Al...key hole style, nice one

Gil Jones
25th September 2006, 02:45 PM
I sure do like that hollow form, Al, very interesting design.

OGYT
25th September 2006, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the comments, Gil; did you remember seeing that one that TD had on the tumbler? That's the one I saw that gave me the idea for this one.;)

Hughie, thanks for the comments, and the pics. Seeing that Oneway rig photoed, makes me think I needed to put my wheels in the closer positions, so it would better stablilize the side of the bowl. :o However, as short as the side was before the domed top, I doubt it flexed too much. I put it on there, because I couldn't get my Steady Rest to fit under the turning.:(

Here's one more.