PDA

View Full Version : Router Maintenance

John Saxton
4th March 2003, 10:14 PM
How often do you consider maintenance to your router?
The Bearings,Shaft alignment, Brushes,slide mechanism (on the posts) and the air breathing slots for the motor,switches,all require some attention over time.
It's a given that a lot of routers are mounted under a table and forgotten as far as being maintained,and merely expected to ramp up every time you go into your woodworking environment.
When would you therefore deem it necessary to go over your gear so that you Know that it's there for you when you want it to operate?
A bearing run-out guage is a good investment...not overly expensive if you want peace of mind.
I find that a quick blast of compressed air helps to clear away dust and chips but more introspection is wanted to determine bearing trueness and the general well being of your router.
The router bit nut requires close inspection moreover where your safety and expensive timber is involved.
I've had to replace 2 of mine not cheap, but I'm satisfied that it will do he job when I need it.One thing problematic with a lot of us is overtightening of the nut to the detriment of the shafts on your router bits and the holding nut on the router.
I've been guilty of this in the past and with the realisation of replacement cost I'm changeing my habits.
A simple question of how well do you consider your investment of your hard earned in one of the most popular additions to the woodworking environment in recent years!
Cheers:)

Eastie
30th April 2003, 04:20 PM
John,
over 150 views and not one post – perhaps therein lies your answer. Perhaps with the onset of cheaper replaceable units preventative maintenance has gone by the wayside ?

Wood Borer
30th April 2003, 04:55 PM
Out of sight out of mind mentality I guess which we are all guilty of doing, add the prospect of expensive repairs and turning the other way is attractive at the time even though we all know in the back of our minds it is false economy.

It is a good reminder.

I am not sure if others have found that on a Hitachi T12 (I think that is the model - at work at this moment) but if the plunging action is not smooth, it can be caused by the springs inside the two tubular supports becoming slightly rusty. It took me ages trying to find the cause but after cleaning the springs and oiling them the plunge action became smooth again.

- Wood Borer

Johnno
30th April 2003, 05:54 PM
Thanks Johnno (from another one) for the reminder. I must confess that I missed your original post, but it is a timely reminder. I also have a (an?) Hitachi TR12 upside down under my Triton, and it has never had any attention. I'm about to build myself a real router table - with finger boards that work, and the TR12 will also be under that. BUT! I will now give it a damn good clean and check the bearings.

kenmil
30th April 2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Johnno
I'm about to build myself a real router table - with finger boards that work, ........

As opposed to ??

John Saxton
30th April 2003, 08:46 PM
Originally I posted to highlight that maintenance with any tool (not only routers) should be a constant thought in any woodworking environment.
Its a given that dull running tools whether a motor from worn brushes or a hand tool with a less than keen edge makes hard work and costs in effort and time.
With the amount we spend on gear is it not also wise to ensure that it will do what we want when we want it to but some of us lead really busy lives and time is of a consequence moreover when we're just keen to get out there and be productive in the shed in our leisure time.
Because I have been busy doing other things in my life as has you folk I tend to forget the maintenance that is required until unfortunately it costs me ....for example I went to use my small Ryobi bandsaw today and the blade ran off the tyres due mainly to a worn bush on tension adjustment that I had not released previously and must admit to being grossly at fault with the bigger bandsaw as well.
So from here I cannot use that tool because of my neglect and it is the point I wish to make that it will cost you if you ignore it.
Cheers:) take care out there

Johnno
30th April 2003, 09:14 PM
ken, I'm afraid that I must say that the Triton finger thingys don't work very well. I've had a great deal of trouble getting them to do anything like holding my pieces of picture frame moulding against the fence.

My home-made fingers work well, but I need to have something that is consistent.

kenmil
30th April 2003, 09:18 PM
Yep, couldn't disagree with that.

soundman
1st May 2003, 12:15 AM
four things my routers love.

A nice dry clean place to live

a tickle with a paint brush

a puff of compressed air

and a little thin oil.

mikmaz1
1st May 2003, 12:41 AM
hi all,
yep ill put my hands up . im guilty of neglect to my tools!
and yes them little collets for your router are damned expensive,needed to buy another size not due to neglect though.
by the way what do you guys use to lubricate your poles?

plunge poles on your routers ! lol
seeyasoon mik.

Wood Borer
1st May 2003, 09:37 AM
Mikmaz,

I find this as a problem too. If you lubricate them with oil then they collect wood dust and small shavings and eventually clog.

If you don't lubricate them it is more difficult to plunge and they can slightly rust.

Silicon is a big no no because it goes everywhere and causes problems with finishes.

I sometimes oil mine and work the oil in with a few plunges and then virtually wipe all the oil off to stop the clogging.

Like I mentioned earlier, with my Hitachi, the plunging action became very stiff and no amount of lubricating on the poles would smooth out the action until I discovered the problem was the slight rust on the springs inside the poles binding the springs during the plunging operation. A bit of oil and she was smooth as.

I would like to know of a better method though.

- Wood Borer

John Saxton
1st May 2003, 09:57 PM
I find that the merest wipe of a clean rag with a touch of oil is sufficient,I don't put more on than is necessary.
In fact if the rag is allowed to absorb the oil then its enough providing there's not too much oil used.
Cheers:)

ubeaut
2nd May 2003, 12:26 AM
Graphite powder works for me.

mikmaz1
3rd May 2003, 12:25 AM
thanks guys, illtry it tommorrow . used oil before and like you say its a dust magnet if you put too much on!
how do you get the graphite powder to stick?
seeyasoon mik.