PDA

View Full Version : tour

mn2tx
9th November 2002, 01:33 PM
I will be on a tour of part of Australia in March 2003. We will visit Sydney,Adelaide,Alice Springs,Uluru and Cairns. I do hobby woodturning and am very interested in "different" woods. Where will I be able to see samples of various. "Australian wood? Probably a woodturners galery or such. A woodturners "event" would be great. That way I would get to visit with some local woodturners.

------------------

Sir Stinkalot
9th November 2002, 05:58 PM
Just to be inquisitive ... what are you touring? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
May the stink be with you :)

Red neck
9th November 2002, 07:48 PM
mn2tx

When you visit Cairns take the Skyrail to Kuranda. Train ‘up’ and cable car ‘down’ or vice versa. Apart from the trip over the rain forest you will have the opportunity to tour the craft market in Kuranda. A few of the local wood turners produce their wares from the litter created by ‘cyclones’ (typhoons in your lingo). They use such local timbers as northern silky oak, Queensland maple, black bean, Queensland walnut, cedar, mango etc. From memory there is at least one timber supplier in Kuranda who will export.

Enjoy Cairns, it is my favourite destination.

Red Neck

mn2tx
10th November 2002, 02:28 PM
We will be on an "Elderhostel" tour of New Zeland and Australia. I never been down your way so would Like to see everything from under the ocean to the southern Cross.And everything in between. Do you think 30 days is enough.
Originally posted by Sir Stinkalot:
Just to be inquisitive ... what are you touring? http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/eek.gif

mn2tx
10th November 2002, 02:35 PM
WWe will be in Cairns a couple days then we go out on the reef for 3 days. That should give us time to leave the tour for a couple hours and do our own thing. Thanks for the reply and the advice.Unrelated message I need to tell somebody. We just got the last of the beans in the bin as it started to rain and is forcast to change to snow. Lucky day for us.Be happy with me.
Originally posted by Red neck:
mn2tx

When you visit Cairns take the Skyrail to Kuranda. Train ‘up’ and cable car ‘down’ or vice versa. Apart from the trip over the rain forest you will have the opportunity to tour the craft market in Kuranda. A few of the local wood turners produce their wares from the litter created by ‘cyclones’ (typhoons in your lingo). They use such local timbers as northern silky oak, Queensland maple, black bean, Queensland walnut, cedar, mango etc. From memory there is at least one timber supplier in Kuranda who will export.

Enjoy Cairns, it is my favourite destination.

Red Neck

jamesy
11th November 2002, 09:56 PM
mn2tx

If you have 2 free days in Cairns try to do a trip to the Atherton Tableland it will take a day to do and hopefully will stop at the Tolga Timberworks. If it is like the old days you'll see everything happening and find out what is available here.

mn2tx
12th November 2002, 01:21 AM
Thanks for the info. We will also make a short stop in Brisbane. We fly to Sydney from there. I will try to get to Tolga Timberworks. I am just looking for a few samples that I can turn and collect.
Originally posted by jamesy:
mn2tx

If you have 2 free days in Cairns try to do a trip to the Atherton Tableland it will take a day to do and hopefully will stop at the Tolga Timberworks. If it is like the old days you'll see everything happening and find out what is available here.

John Saxton
12th November 2002, 09:07 PM
Hi if'n you're not goin' thru Penola S.A. then you'll miss the monument to the BBBLand that would be a shame forsooth.

For herein lies in eternal rest the Lathe to beat all lathes R.I.P.

------------------
Johnno

mn2tx
13th November 2002, 04:47 AM
What is BBBLand?? I will look for Penola S A on the map. I don't know if we go there.
Originally posted by John Saxton:
Hi if'n you're not goin' thru Penola S.A. then you'll miss the monument to the BBBLand that would be a shame forsooth.

mn2tx
14th November 2002, 01:46 PM
Johnno; What do you mean by that last statment about the lath at rest forever???
Originally posted by John Saxton:

Kev Y.
14th November 2002, 03:27 PM
mn2tx, The BBBLand is the home of D.Stop esq.(known here as doorstop)

The BBBL is or was supposedly doorstops marvelous wood turning machine which was blue! hence Beautiful Big BLUE Lathe.

Penola is roughly north or north east of mount gambia in South Australia. possably a bit out of the way for a tour group.

Which reminds me.. Doorstop, how come the lathe you was using in melbourne was NOT Blue????

Kev

JackoH
14th November 2002, 04:56 PM
Doorstop, Will you tell him or shall I?(RIP.BBBL) http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/frown.gif
Regards, John H.
(Mt. GambIA!!!!)

John Saxton
14th November 2002, 08:44 PM
mn2tx,like Brudda(Kev) says about the BBBL,it was on the market to be sold for a considerable period...but alas to no avail it was consigned to another task and that is to blunt the teeth of the local white ants in the Penola region. http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/biggrin.gif

Seriously though, there is woodturning in most Australian towns such is the following of this pursuit and Woodturning clubs are numerous as no doubt they are in the States.
The Australian Woodworker magazine is probably a good purchase for you when you get to Oz...check the news-agents shops.This will have a section pertaining to Adverts with some covering of woodcrafts etc.

Most of the previous posts were of a light hearted nature....as is the wont here to make light of most things!

Cheers http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Johnno

hellscott
14th November 2002, 10:13 PM
yeah as others have said the markets up the top of the sky rail and the tablelands try to get hold of some current bush very nice colour grain andgreat to turn.

mn2tx
15th November 2002, 12:35 PM
Thanks All you All for the good advice as to wood and were to go and enjoy our visit. Black bean , mongo, & current bush are all foreign to me. I expect your maple, wallnut & cedar are much like ours . ? right? I will definetly look up a Australian woodworkers mag. That cable car over the rain forest I think is already on our itinery.
What are your favorite Australian woods to turn? Mesquite , from Texas,ranks very high with me. It is tough, very stable, and turns and finishes well. Also a dark brown color.
We stay 3 0r 4 months in Texas each winter. I joined a woodturning club there also.

http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gifMay BBBBBL rest in peace.
I hope those white ants aren't as mean as our red ants.

jamesy
15th November 2002, 09:50 PM
We've got the fire ants here in Brisbane too, but we know how to handle them????????

mn2tx
19th November 2002, 01:41 PM
I just got customs info for Australia. I can't bring any wood in. Not even things made of wood without passing special restrictions, and treatments. I guess that is a good rule as many woods, especialy from southern USA, can be bug infested. When I bring mesquite back to Minnesota, in spring, I put it in the freezer for 2 weeks. That teaches those bugs not to hitchike with me. I would have liked to bring some mesquite along to trade with All You All.
I will have to find out if I can bring wood from there back to the USA. My wife says I can throw all her clothes out and use her suitcase if I let her go shoping when we get back to Los Angles. That could be expensive wood.

jamesy
20th November 2002, 09:34 PM
Can't help with taking wood out- you'll have to check with your customs. Manufactured goods( turned) might be ok.

I have a huge number of hoops to jump through even if I want to take soil of site in an infested area.

mn2tx
21st November 2002, 12:32 PM
Jamesy.
Our regulations are harder to find. I will give the web another try .
I guess I will just go along with the regulations. Whatever they are.
Then my wife can keep her old clothes.
As we say here, "THAT IS THE WAY IT WAS GOING WEST"