PDA

View Full Version : Another egg cup

cedar n silky
26th September 2006, 09:03 PM
I had a couple of table leg off cuts, from a table I made 20 or more years ago!! Red cedar, and "god forbid" radiata pine!!:eek: I new I'd do something with them one day, so here is my first "segmented project":D I would have used 'Bondcrete" back in those days, used to use it by the 4 litre can!! Amazed how it held together!:eek: Fun little job on a drizzly day!:)

WoodNerd
26th September 2006, 09:16 PM
takes the finnish super well for softwoods what did you use

looks good by the way.

Doughboy
26th September 2006, 09:27 PM
Too good to put an egg in mate!!

Well done

Pete

cedar n silky
26th September 2006, 09:29 PM
takes the finnish super well for softwoods what did you use

looks good by the way.
I bought some "U-Beut Polishes" at the Brizzy wood show this year!:D Sanded to 400 grit, then I used EEE Ultra shine, then a couple of coats of Shella wax. Buffing between coats. These are friction polishes. Work well, and no waiting around for drying between coats!:D Thanks for the comment!

ss_11000
26th September 2006, 10:12 PM
it does look good. radiata can look good and it does there:)

BernieP
26th September 2006, 10:22 PM
G'Day cedar
will be filing those pictures away love it
Bernie

tashammer
26th September 2006, 10:38 PM
nice one with the egg cup :-)

radiata would be a whole lot better if they would give the tree sufficient time to mature instead of palming off thinings and immature trees.
When did you last see an end piece of radiata where the growth rings were flat or almost flat? No, all you see is end grain that includes the heart and growth rings so tightly curved you would have thought the tree had been wearing a corset.

OGYT
27th September 2006, 09:26 AM
Egg cup... hmm... now ya need a wooden egg to go in it... Black Walnut or Tassie Rosewood come to mind. :o)
Well done, Cedar.

tashammer
27th September 2006, 03:16 PM
Egg cup... hmm... now ya need a wooden egg to go in it... Black Walnut or Tassie Rosewood come to mind. :o)
Well done, Cedar.

We don't have a rosewood per se. We do have a myrtle, Nothofagus cunninghamii, after Alan Cunningham, 19th Century botanist, to us that would be myrtle or myrtle-beech and might be rose-myrtle to you.

Cunninghamii is the most widespread across Tasmania and can grow to massive trees (if there are any left that is). The myrtle forests on the West Coast of Tassy are beautiful places. Love 'em.

The other myrtle we have is Nothofagus gunni, named after Ronald Gunn a 19th Centurey botanist,though that is is highland species, a deciduous beech that grows to about 2 meters. Lovely little tree it is.

http://farrer.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/gallery.html
http://www.abc.net.au/science/scribblygum/April2000/default.htm

Skew ChiDAMN!!
27th September 2006, 03:32 PM
Nice, CS.

It strikes me as a funny coincidence though: I had an almost identical blank, an offcut from a pedestal lamp, that I turned into spheres and then made eggcups from Tas Myrtle to display 'em in. Now you've come along and are doing it backwards. :D

I had problems with the different timber density's though... my offcut was pine & redgum and I'd only just started turning so a helluva lot of sanding was happening. Of course, the radiata sanded away more quickly and I ended up with "gullies" in most of my spheres.

Good to see your egg-cup didn't suffer from that! ;)

tashammer
27th September 2006, 04:59 PM
for some reason they make me think of chocolate hot cross buns, least the right hand side one does.

stevesandy
27th September 2006, 06:10 PM
Nice work:) It gives me some more ideas for those bits and pieces of Silky oak laying around the shed.
Steve:eek:

cedar n silky
27th September 2006, 10:39 PM
Thanks every one. Tashammer- I'll never be able to look at it now without thinking of "hot cross buns"!
Skew- I guess cedar and radiata are both pretty soft, so I didn't strike that problem, but also I am now getting into much shareper tools than I used to use, so less sanding!! I am just realising how important VERY sharp tools are!! Even roughing out these BIG lumps of green, green HOOP pine, it's amazing what a difference a tool straight off the grinder makes!!:D :D ;) Wish I'd payed more attention to it earlier- I prefer shavings to dust!!;)
Ogyt- I think I'll put a real egg in it!! :eek: I like to use what I make, when I can!! I actually made some eggs a month or so back to try and trick the chooks (fowl, I think you call them in your country?)into laying, and it worked!!;) It's also great practice for the skew chisel, and I need all the practice I can get in that department!!:D

hughie
28th September 2006, 12:24 PM
I had a couple of table leg off cuts, from a table I made 20 or more years ago!! Red cedar, and "god forbid" radiata pine!!:eek: I new I'd do something with them one day, so here is my first "segmented project":D I would have used 'Bondcrete" back in those days, used to use it by the 4 litre can!! Amazed how it held together!:eek: Fun little job on a drizzly day!

Very effective design,simple but effective, thumbs up from me :)