PDA

View Full Version : Shapes, profiles, and ideas needed for a very large platter

Auzzie turner
27th September 2006, 08:12 PM
As the title said, I have a very large platter, it is around 800mm(32") by 120mm(5") deep. See pics. I will be turning it to enter into the 2007 WA Wood Show in August next year, so it will have to be good:cool: The timber is a Flooded gum burl. It is a very valuble piece. If any one has any ideas, or profiles, for a platter, please post a link or put them on here. Thanks a lot,

Regards...........Joash

For those who are wondering, NO this is not going to be turned on my MC900,:D it will be turned on a VL175 (http://www.vicmarc.com/siteimages/VL175l.jpg):)

ss_11000
27th September 2006, 08:16 PM
so did you buy your new lathe:)

good luck with it buddy:)

soundman
27th September 2006, 08:23 PM
are you thinking flat platter or more shallow bowl, or pehaps more bird bath:D

Auzzie turner
27th September 2006, 08:26 PM
A platter style, preferably with an pronounced rim. So kind of like a large bowl, with a 70mm rim around it. Something to really bring out the grain.

Joash

Auzzie turner
27th September 2006, 08:33 PM
not sure what is happening with the attachments, they arent working.

Administrators??????

dai sensei
27th September 2006, 09:22 PM
A platter style, preferably with an pronounced rim. So kind of like a large bowl, with a 70mm rim around it. Something to really bring out the grain.

Joash

I think you are on te right track. All I can suggest is surf the web and visit as many turning/club sites as possible, especially any annual competetion type displays.

Mind you, I have never ended up with a bowl/plate that I have planned. The grain and features, the way the timber cuts, along with the way I am feeling more often than not determines the final shape. To use Rufflyrustic's expression, I let the wood talk to me. Perhaps I am just going insane.:D

Good luck.

BernieP
27th September 2006, 09:46 PM
G'Day Joash,
An interesting site
http://www.stephenhatcher.com/Basic%20Stone%20Inlay%20(Ver%201.0).PDF
Bernie

WoodNerd
27th September 2006, 10:01 PM
For those who are wondering, NO this is not going to be turned on my MC900,:D it will be turned on a VL175 (http://www.vicmarc.com/siteimages/VL175l.jpg):)

i have a VL 175 and it can handle upto 40kg (although ive never been game enough to try it):eek: But without a bandsaw i normally start with very uneven bits and reduce them to round on the lathe. i goes VERY smoothly.

(a little tip though: make sure when turning right angles to the bed ie. using the rotating headstock, use the extra tightening bolt-leaver thing at the back of the lathe. it will reduce a lot of vibration)

nice piece though where did you get it? and how much? and how did you get ist so round and beveled.

about the shape, keep it simple and not to fancy (no matter how fun it is):D it always looks better.

if you want to look at artists heres a good link site:http://mgorrow.tripod.com/index-2.html

cedar n silky
27th September 2006, 10:20 PM
i have a VL 175 and it can handle upto 40kg (although ive never been game enough to try it):eek: But without a bandsaw i normally start with very uneven bits and reduce them to round on the lathe. i goes VERY smoothly.

(a little tip though: make sure when turning right angles to the bed ie. using the rotating headstock, use the extra tightening bolt-leaver thing at the back of the lathe. it will reduce a lot of vibration)

Always nip up that locking cam, because even the smallest vibrations (especially over any length of time), may wear the mating surfaces between the headstock and bed!:eek: And always use the locating pin also!!
Oh and Joash, if you have a concrete floor (and you have got a VL175!!) bolt it to the floor with 100mmx 12mm dyna bolts!:cool: Won't go any where when yopu have big bits on!:D Good luck with that nice flooded gum burl:)

Auzzie turner
28th September 2006, 12:19 AM
thanks for the comments, and keep the links coming in if anyone has any,

Regards.......Joash

weisyboy
28th September 2006, 07:28 AM
dose it still have a natural top on it:confused:

if it dose i would use it.

Auzzie turner
28th September 2006, 11:27 AM
No it does not have a natural edge

La truciolara
29th September 2006, 03:24 AM
:D it will be turned on a VL175 (http://www.vicmarc.com/siteimages/VL175l.jpg):)
Very good decision, you will never regret it! :)

Gil Jones
29th September 2006, 05:03 AM
Good luck turning that piece, it should be a nice one!!
I do not have any design ideas, but from the picture with the faceplate, it looks like you only have four screws holding that monster onto the steel. IMNSHO, you need to drill at least four more holes in your faceplate, and add four more screws. The torque, and shear loading may be more than four screws can handle.

Auzzie turner
29th September 2006, 11:52 AM
I currently have 8 of the largest, longest, hardest screws I could find on the faceplate. If anyone has ideas, keep em coming,

Regards.........Joash

tashammer
29th September 2006, 06:10 PM
http://www.stephenhatcher.com/

has some really interesting ideas that might fit nicely with your shallow bowl, tray,platter.

wheelie
30th September 2006, 06:15 PM
Haven't you turned it yet?:eek:

Man, you've got more patience than me:)

Auzzie turner
30th September 2006, 08:19 PM
No, i am waiting tillJune 2007 before I turn it, because if I turn it now, by the time the next WW show comes up, I will have improved and wiull not be happy with what I would have turned now.

All in all, I will do a much better job if I wait a few more months, --- HARD:D

Thanks for the links guys,

Regards...........Joash

rsser
1st October 2006, 09:46 AM
A platter is usually a functional object - the buyer may want eg. to put fruit on it - so a wide foot is a good idea.

A rim will look good but reduces the usable space. You certainly want it to define the form but consider a narrower rim with a bead to strengthen the definition.

Looks like a lovely bit of timber; good luck with it.