PDA

View Full Version : Three Tier Bowl

R12chard
27th September 2006, 10:12 PM
I have been commisioned make a few food serving dishes for a London Hotel. If you have a look at the attached, can anyone advise the best way to make the three tier bowl? Obviously the bowl turning is not an issue, and the finishing forum have advised me on finishes, it's just the mounting?

I look forward to your replys

Richard :confused:

Slow6
27th September 2006, 10:44 PM
if its just the mounting thats a problem... I'd have a look at peoples goblet threads.. seems the three tier structure has the the same inherent problems. thin stems with bowls.

thats where I'd start at least.. maybe a look at some of the steadies people are useing if you get into trouble.

looks like a fun job.. gl :)

WoodNerd
27th September 2006, 11:58 PM
are you planing to make it in parts (the bowls seperatly to the centre colomn) or one piece?
you might be better (if in one piece) doing it endgrain. but you'll need a big piece of wood.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th September 2006, 12:23 AM
A big block of wood indeed! :eek: And a nightmare to turn... personally I'd build it in sections, which has its' own problems but they're not insurmountable. :) If they're going to be serving dishes, you don't want holes in the middle of the bottom of the bowls for the column to pass through. Any movement, glue cracking, etc. would probably end up causing leaks.

Leaving the centre core in the bowl, ie. a column up the middle, would not only be leakproof but would also give you something you could drill part-way through from each side and then using a thread chaser have each end of the column segments screw in to the bowl above and below it. Threading the columns would be much safer in the long run, 'cos people will pick it up by the "handle" to move it and glue will become fraghie with age and cleaning solvents....

As a bonus, it could also be disassembled for storage and/or thorough cleaning.

Alternatively, you could bore out the middle of each column (and bowl) and put a threaded rod right through the whole assembly, with a nut & washer at each end. (I'd still rebate each end of the columns into the bowl sections though.) Wouldn't be too hard to design a handle to hide the top nut. Not as easy to disassemble, but it won't fall apart in a hurry... ;)

Edit: do you specifically want timber columns? I reckon chrome or s/steel tubing instead, with the threaded rod down the middle, would look brilliant against nice, dark wooden bowls... Mmmm... Hmmm... can you guess what my next project is going to be? :D:D

Hickory
28th September 2006, 03:32 AM
Robbing a bit from Skew's idea... Might turn 3 progressively smaller bowls in this fashion...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/tierbowl.jpg
With matching spigots and recesses. They could be glued together to make a mount. Perhaps turn a Finial for the top

hughie
28th September 2006, 12:21 PM
With matching spigots and recesses. They could be glued together to make a mount. Perhaps turn a Finial for the top
[/QUOTE]

Hickory,

What a good and obvious idea.....now that the you mention it:D

Rookie
28th September 2006, 12:39 PM
Robbing a bit from Skew's idea... Might turn 3 progressively smaller bowls in this fashion...
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b136/hickoryknee/tierbowl.jpg

If you do, make sure the grain is running vertically to avoid the weakness points at the spiggots....or still run the threaded rod through.