PDA

View Full Version : international tonewood supplies

gratay
28th September 2006, 08:42 PM
Just wondering if anyone has bought timber from overseas luthier supplies companies....
Is it cost efficient once we pay for shipping and any customs duties (if any?).or is there no custom duties to be payed when timber arrives?....

Does it work out around the same dollars as what we can purchase here through australian timber suppliers?

What overseas companies have you dealt with? or do most people buy within australia?

thanks grant

oz tradie
28th September 2006, 11:16 PM
I'm also looking at buying some stuff off-shore and am interested in
all this 'bizzo', especially relating to customs and fumigation fees.:confused:
Any one got tales to tell ?

cheers, Stu

Paul B
28th September 2006, 11:44 PM
Oh yeah, I got a tale to tell.

Never ever get stuff sent by Fedex, UPS, DHL or any other courier company. They bring your shipment to the attention of customs so that they can act as customs brokers on your behalf and charge you a customs brokerage fee on top of the customs duties. On a $400 order I got lumped with an extra $280 customs brokerage/clearance fee. F**kwit ***hole m***er***kers. I'm still not happy about it (can you tell?). Got a letter from the courier mob saying I had to pay the fee by credit card or they wouldn't give me my goods (that I already owned). Not only added cost to my order but also added several days to the delivery time.

I've had great experiences buying tonewood from New England Tonewoods, High Mountain Tonewoods, and Colonial Tonewoods all in the US. But now I always ask for USPS (united states postal service) air express shipping, and I've never had to grab ankles since. USPS air express costs a bit less, and after all the BS that the courier mobs give in taking a couple days to tell me about what I owe them, that fee getting cleared, and then getting my stuff delivered. USPS has already delivered it. So the time taken is still only a week or so or less and no longer than the couriers when all is said and done. I know Martin in Adelaide has had different experiences with courier mobs, so he may disagree. All my orders have been coming in to sydney. Your mileage may vary.

martrix
29th September 2006, 12:16 AM
Yep, good advice...never use a courier like UPS, FedEx or Dhl:mad: customs brokerage fees DAMHIKT:mad: .....
Always use U.S.P.S (American equivalent of Australia Post) surface(seamail) or Airmail.

You can pretty much bring in any wood provided it is Kiln Dried and free of any foliage and bark, as well as no borers holes (else it will need fumigation =$$$)

As long as the total is under AU$1000 which includes the price you paid for it as well as shipping cost and insurance, then you will pay $0 in duty.

Be aware though, that if you choose Seamail which is much cheaper, you can expect a minimum of 10 weeks for delivery:eek: .
At the moment they are running at about 12-14 weeks...also, DAMHIKT

HiString
29th September 2006, 01:01 AM
I haven't imported "raw" timber but have imported close to 30 items (studio gear, guitars and drum hardware) from the US, actually, it's probably more than that :confused: .

From that experience, I'll totally agree with using USPS, preferably the Global Express Mail service which is marginally quicker and usually not much more costly than the Air Parcel service.

On the other hand, I'll totally disagree with the comments regarding DHL..........at least 12 guitars (mainly Gibsons), no unexpected additional charges, a reliable 24 hr (US to Sydney) service, yeah, it costs ;) , and always found the staff to be polite and helpful.

Any timber product coming into the country is supposed to undergo a quarantine inspection before it is given Customs clearance........this does involve a fee. Also, the last information I had regarding the application of import duties, etc., was that anything with a declared value over $400 was liable to be subject to charges.

:cool:

oz tradie
29th September 2006, 07:11 AM
Interesting reading regarding postal methods.
I've used u.s.p.s. up until now on items up to $450/500 ( 3 packages all up) and had
them delivered by Aust. post within 8 days with no customs or charges on top. Great results and a big golden smilie stamp from me.:D
I had a look at the Aust. customs website and found it to offer little as far as a clear, concise guide to importing wood from o'seas.
It seems to give more of a hazy overview to what we could expect when these timbers reach our shores.

cheers, Stu

kiwigeo
29th September 2006, 07:27 AM
I frequently buy in tonewoods from LMI and Stewmac in US and Timeless Instruments in Canada. Stewmac stuff always comes via DHL, LMI via USPS and Timeless via airmail. All orders under $1000 and have never had a parcel opened or fees/duty charged.

I like DHL because you can track progress of order on the net and goods get to Australia within 7 days.

gratay
29th September 2006, 08:48 AM
seems like a few people buying timber from overseas......

is it cheaper to buy offshore than here? obviously closer to the source for things like soundboards and more choices as far as backs and sides..

Is the quality of the overseas stuff better than what we can get?

kiwigeo
29th September 2006, 09:14 AM
Products from local suppliers just as good as stuff Ive bought overseas...I usually only buy overseas wood when either 1. its not readily available locally or 2. I need it urgently and overseas supplier can supply it quicker than local one or 3. overseas supplier has a special on (eg Allied Luthieries opp grade wood specials).

Cheers Martin

kiwigeo
29th September 2006, 09:18 AM
I've had great experiences buying tonewood from New England Tonewoods, High Mountain Tonewoods, and Colonial Tonewoods all in the US.

Hi Paul,

Have you tried any of Shane Neifer's Lutz spruce yet? The OLFers seem to rave about it.

Whats going on in your workshop at the moment? Nothing going on in mine as Im out on the job. Another week to go on this hitch and then I get 3 days off before heading off to a job in New Zealand. Going to try and catch up with Paddy Burgin in Wellington while Im over there.

Cheers Martin

Paul B
29th September 2006, 10:44 AM
G'day Martin,

I got some lutz (kermodie) spruce from a guy off ebay a year or so ago, which is the same stuff but harvested by one of Shane's neighbours. I bought three tops one with bearclaw. I like it, it has a nice tap tone, but I've only used it on one guitar that isn't finished yet.

I'm just finishing up #2, been using french polish but I'm over the fp thing, too much like pulling teeth. I'm off today to buy a spray gun:D. I'll try spraying shellac first but if that doesn't work out I'll buy some nitro and give that a whirl.

Incidently, I've never had a shipment of wood opened by customs, only stuff that rings the bells on the xray machine - stuff wrapped in foil, jars of hide glue etc, never wood tho.

kiwigeo
29th September 2006, 10:55 AM
I can relate to your comments on FP...keep me posted on how you go spraying the shellac. Im going to persist with the FP....Im old and stubborn and Im probably addicted to the meths as well!! I got halfway through the body sessions on the classical (#2) before going to workand it was going unusually well. Wont have time to finish the thing untill November when I get back from NZ.

Will be trying some of Shanes Lutz at some stage...the bearclaw sounds very nice.

Paul B
29th September 2006, 11:18 AM
I french polished my first and it turned out pretty good, swore I'd never do it again though. It's just too labour intensive to get a good result. Especially since I used to be a spray painter many moons ago, I'm used to putting a good finish down fast. Had no choice on #2 until I got me a compressor for fathers day :D.

Jackspira
29th September 2006, 10:54 PM
I agree with the consensus! Post is best whenever possible to avoid clearance and quarantine fees. I have also found DHL to be the best when post is not possible, like if there is a size limit.

kiwigeo
30th September 2006, 08:07 AM
I french polished my first and it turned out pretty good, swore I'd never do it again though. It's just too labour intensive to get a good result. Especially since I used to be a spray painter many moons ago, I'm used to putting a good finish down fast. Had no choice on #2 until I got me a compressor for fathers day :D.

With your spray painting experience youre well setup for spray finishing. FP sure is labour intensive but thats good for me...when Im doing hard labour Im not in my wifes hair and she just loooooves that!