PDA

View Full Version : Old timber blinds

terriqld
28th September 2006, 10:43 PM
Hi folks...newby here, though have been watching this site for ages during a house restoration my hubbie and I are doing. I need some advice on the best way to restore old timber blinds. They are structurally ok (ie all cords etc in tact) just shabby looking with a dirty greyish tinge and a few water marks etc ....any help appreciated. Terri

Ashore
28th September 2006, 11:47 PM
Take them down
In the yard lay in the driveway or on flat concrete pad close them one way and hose them
Scrub with a large brush or broom
Open the other way and repreate scrubbing

Do this on both sides

Let dry and re hang

terriqld
29th September 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi Ashmore - thanks for the tip..I have started to scrub them and noticed a bluish (like a whitewash) just falling off in small strips in parts and stubbornly adhering to others. Bought them second hand and have no idea what substance is. How do I figure out the best way to get that off? The wood underneath is a really nice golden colour..\ Thanks again Terri ;)

Auzzie turner
29th September 2006, 01:03 AM
wrong thread

hansp77
29th September 2006, 01:58 AM
wrong thread

I think what Teri may have meant is that she would like to Turn her bad old wood into good new wood-
as in presto...
hence woodturning;)

Just a guess.

hcbph
29th September 2006, 02:02 AM
I'm assuming these are what we call shutters. If it is, then some of the products for renewing wood decks may work. Most are a product that is sprayed onto the wood then scrubbed and sprayed off the wood. I've seen some remarkable results with it.

Only thought I have on this subject.

Paul

Ashore
29th September 2006, 10:42 AM
To do a proper job dissamble the blind , not as hard as it sounds , remove the cords and slide the slats out sideways.
Then you can work on each slat much easier in the long run and you wont damage the ribbons

Rgds

Hickory
29th September 2006, 11:04 AM
My first thoughts were the same as ASHORE, Simply hang them and untie the knot in the bottom slat, this will free the lot, slide out the slats and clean or refinish each, after hard (not just dry, HARD) then reassemble and you will have like new or even better than new blinds. I believe you are speaking of blinds not shutters, as shutters are slats suspended between wood/timber stiles and rails, not suspended from cords.

As Aussie Turner said, this is perhaps the wrong department for info on cleaning Blinds. If you are to try to refinish them, it might be best to off a request of the Finishing forum. Or the General WWing area or We could determine this as a good Turn to address the issue or perhaps Turn the subject over to The housekeeping diva, Martha Stewart who did a stint with the Turn Key fellows. We can Turn aside our normal discussions for this Turn of events.