PDA

View Full Version : another one

hughie
3rd October 2006, 10:12 AM
Hi All,

A different shape.Thought I would try my hand at a tear drop shape out of camphor laurel 6x5 with a 2" hole in the top.

The hole started out some what smaller...:eek: :mad: :D ....sigh, one day...

mutter, mutter, must take some lessons in fotos.

floobyduster
3rd October 2006, 10:22 AM
Nice job - love the grain and the finish.

Large hole! - you'll have to breed some smaller termites :D

dai sensei
3rd October 2006, 11:07 AM
I like it. I assume to be used as a vase, so with 2" hole, you could insert glass sleeve for other than dried flowers.

OGYT
3rd October 2006, 11:58 AM
I like it too, Hughie. Form and finish. It looks really thin. :eek:
I still don't have the guts to go really thin, yet. :( I get careless, and then there's a catch, and then..... :mad: I think it's cause I don't know how to use the tools I have... or that I don't have the tools to use, one. Either way I guess it takes practice.

About the photos: I don't have room to set up a light tent, and leave it up. Therefore, I just take it where I can, and most of the time it's on a little stone bridge in the back yard. :rolleyes: Long as they're lit well enough to see. Ya done good.:D

ss_11000
3rd October 2006, 12:41 PM
thats a nice peice you got there hughie :)

Auzzie turner
3rd October 2006, 03:05 PM
Nice thickness, always live a little wood in the base, or else it will be to over balanced, and you may see it quite soon on the floor in 1000s of pieces. What chisels did you use? Camphor is a good timber for vases,

Nice,

Regards..........Joash

BernieP
3rd October 2006, 03:07 PM
G'Day Hughie,

Thats a very nice piece, can you run me through the finish you used please?

Bernie.

Grizz
3rd October 2006, 04:59 PM
Damn, that's a nice piece of work Hughie! Personally, I think the opening fits the shape and form well. Lovely finish too.

Grizz.

TTIT
4th October 2006, 12:47 AM
Yet another shape I haven't got in my collection - hmmmm! ;) Nice one Hughie :D I'm working on the smaller entry hole at the moment too but I picked a shape I can't complete with my current weaponry. Drawing board well and truly up again!:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 12:56 AM
Hmmm... add a little cap with a curved "stem" type finial and you could tell people it's a rare Amazonian OwOw fruit. Used in a seldom seen pygmy initiation ritual, the initiate must spend a night under an OwOw Tree when the fruit is ripe and beginning to drop... :D

TTIT
4th October 2006, 01:03 AM
Hmmm... add a little cap with a curved "stem" type finial and you could tell people it's a rare Amazonian OwOw fruit. Used in a seldom seen pygmy initiation ritual, the initiate must spend a night under an OwOw Tree when the fruit is ripe and beginning to drop... :D
That's it! Didn't see it at first!:eek::D Who was turning pineapples just recently.....?:);)

hughie
4th October 2006, 01:49 AM
Nice thickness, always live a little wood in the base, or else it will be to over balanced, and you may see it quite soon on the floor in 1000s of pieces. What chisels did you use?

Joash,

Thickness gradually increases as you go down and the thickest at the bottom....probably around 15mm at the bottom, its got plenty of wieght for stability. Tools 30mm hole drilled in it to start, Proforme bulk removal, Munro type for shaping, scraper finish off

Thats a very nice piece, can you run me through the finish you used please?

Bernie, Finish is power sanded with 240,hand finish 400 wet 'n dry, EEE final. Then 3-4 coats of Organoil, roughly a day between each one...very roughly..:D then wait 3-4 weeks for them to dry. Rub on Poly two coats, rub down with 400 between. I will proably go over it once more with a hand rub of EEE. When i do this its gets a hand polished satin look rather than a poly finish.

I like it. I assume to be used as a vase, so with 2" hole, you could insert glass sleeve for other than dried flowers

Dai, Had not really gone that far with my thinking just liked the shape and consider it more of a decor item

I still don't have the guts to go really thin, yet. :( I get careless, and then there's a catch, and then.....

Al, Ho ho I only show my successes. A mate of mine up the mountains gets all the rest for firewood. :D I just give it a go...sometimes you win, sometimes you... :o :mad: :D
sorta Admiral Farragut stuff...Damn the torpedoes fullsteam ahead...:D

Had a suggestion it could be used for wacky baccy, prefer the Ow Ow Tree... the darn hole started out much smaller......:(

powderpost
4th October 2006, 11:42 AM
Hughie, I think it looks good and it doesn't have to have flowers in it either. I do agree with the "lid" idea, that adds more interest. Don't know about the Ow Ow seed pod, I thought they had square corners. :D
Jim