PDA

View Full Version : cow poop as a sealer?!?

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 09:53 PM
I suconded a South African freind (who is much younger and stronger) into helping me lift my anvil up onto a stump at the shed, and I showed him my experiments in drying the green Hoop pine. I have painted one, and am drying another in shavings, and am leaving one to air dry without any sealers, and he said "In South Africa we use cow poop as a sealer on wood!!:eek: :eek:" I'm going to have a go, and risk the old shed smelling like a dairy, and god knows what will happen when I rechuck the bowl on the lathe!!:D Any one heard of such a thing!!:D It's FREE, and there's plenty of it where I live:)

ss_11000
3rd October 2006, 10:00 PM
could you put up with the smell. although a few hours of turning camphor should get rid of it :cool:

Auld Bassoon
3rd October 2006, 10:05 PM
Were you looking at your mate when he said this? :D :D I hear the sound of chains being pulled :eek: :D :D D:

Now, if it was Bulls he was referring to, that might be another matter...

Gra
3rd October 2006, 10:05 PM
Shee, I where I work there is an endless supply of bull@#%t

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd October 2006, 10:12 PM
And here I was, thinking that 'shrooms thrived on the stuff. :rolleyes:

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 10:15 PM
I thought i would get a quick response!! No he was looking straight at me, and I'm pretty sure there was no chain pulling!! :D Any one else game!, Maybe if I can get the smell out of it, (and the lumpy bits!!)I could patent the product!;) Any brand name suggestions?? Like "Strewth this stuff really works", or "Crikey,there's no bull here!!":)

chrisb691
3rd October 2006, 10:19 PM
How do you train the cow to poo in the right place, with the correct quantity? Wouldn't want to waste it, would we? :)

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 10:22 PM
i always thought that cow poop smelled ok. Remember that some folks smear cow poop on mudbrick houses as a render - called bagging, if i recall correctly, not sure if they mix any clay in with it or not.

soundman
3rd October 2006, 10:22 PM
Check out the polishers handbook, I seem to remember bovine excriment has been used as a timber coulouring agent right back to antiquity.
It would stain the wood.

cheers

DJ’s Timber
3rd October 2006, 10:25 PM
Don't see why not. It is use to seal mudbrick houses with. Also cow dung is not really that bad on the old nose

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 10:25 PM
How do you train the cow to poo in the right place, with the correct quantity? Wouldn't want to waste it, would we? :)
Chris I'm afraid it might have to be applied by HAND:eek: Although, if I make it the right consistency, I may be able to paint it on. I'll just have to wait till SWMBO has gone to church, before I experiment with the blender!!:rolleyes:

scooter
3rd October 2006, 10:26 PM
Cedar, I reckon the shyte will be inclined to stain the timber a fair bit.

Worth a test though, can't complain about the cost of the consumables. :D

Lets see, chasing cow around paddock, you know the fresh stuff seals the best :rolleyes: :D

Did a search, check out this (http://iscowp.org/Nuggets/101%20Uses%20for%20Cow%20Dung.htm) link. Did anyone notice the, er, unusual taste of the BBQ meat on Sunday? :o :p

Cheers..................Sean

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 10:28 PM
in that case i would make really, really certain that it was thoroughly washed after use else you might get a requiest you wouldn't wish to answer..."Dear would you come and taste this, there is something not right about it...

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 10:33 PM
That's it!! I can blend cows urine with cow poop, to get the right consistency!! All organic!!:D Sell well up here where I live!! Mum's the word though! SWMBO must not know what her beloved blender is now being used for!!:)

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks for finding that wonderful DIY site Scooter :-)

7. Smoke producer - smoldering cow patties keep away mosquitoes. Can also make smoked paneer over such smoke. Tastes great in pasta! :)

No 7 looks like a real treat - spagbol anyone?

Iain
3rd October 2006, 10:34 PM
I have a better product....AAAA+++++ HOrse sh!te, discounts for bulk quantities, BYO trailer, how much do you want, free to good home, free to any home.

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 10:37 PM
I have a better product....AAAA+++++ HOrse sh!te, discounts for bulk quantities, BYO trailer, how much do you want, free to good home, free to any home.

I will have 20 ton. Lovely stuff, great soil conditioner. Makes worms very happy. Sometimes a bit of a bugger with weed introduction - not that they need introducing as the buggers just barge straight in.

Is excellent if you spread it about a foot or two thick, then get some old mushroom compost and spread that over it - kept us in mushrooms for months ir did. Wonderful tucker!

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 10:56 PM
Adds a whole new meaning to "dairy delight":D Still need some catchy brand names though!;)

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 11:06 PM
Neo-ExC finish (translates to new poop).

Organically formulated and processed by natural methods from Natures own rich bounty the "Neo-ExC" finish adds an air of subtle distinction to your work.

Show your customers that you care for their health and well being by finishing off your work with "Neo-ExC", the brand you can trust.

Seague to man sucking on pen.

Focus on cow seen sniggering through window just in the process of making a fresh batch of "NeoExC"

lubbing5cherubs
3rd October 2006, 11:12 PM
I don't know about working ot cure wood but one thing I do know if my blender was being used for what you plan the stuff we are talking about would surely hit the fan...LOL. Don't get me wrong my brother and I have had fight with it as kids but there is no way I want to eat out something that done that..>LOL NO way
Toni

wheelie
3rd October 2006, 11:15 PM
Yours tools wont be too happy, neither will any of your other equipment :)

is it worth it though!

(not for me :rolleyes: )

I think hunks and hunks of lemon oil are in order here

jarrahhead
3rd October 2006, 11:29 PM
I don't know about working ot cure wood but one thing I do know if my blender was being used for what you plan the stuff we are talking about would surely hit the fan...LOL. Don't get me wrong my brother and I have had fight with it as kids but there is no way I want to eat out something that done that..>LOL NO way
Toni

Yep... can't stress caution enough. Apparently some tools are meant only for kitchen duties. SWMBO still not forgiven self and dad for using her "old" blender for converting pilchards into an effective berley for one of our fishing trips. :o:p

Cliff Rogers
3rd October 2006, 11:51 PM
Aughta be aughta be dipped in sh.....oooooo

Did he tell you how you can pee on ya hands if you have blisters & on ya toes if you have foot root & dead toads can get rid of warts? :D

tashammer
4th October 2006, 12:15 AM
Aughta be aughta be dipped in sh.....oooooo

Did he tell you how you can pee on ya hands if you have blisters & on ya toes if you have foot root & dead toads can get rid of warts? :D

Really?

Well i do know that piddling on yer feet is good for getting rid of chilblains - not that you would see them up there in Noff Kwildland.

I just couldn't manage to stand in a chamberpot though, even a 5 yo has some limits.

tashammer
4th October 2006, 12:19 AM
Ok, how about...wait for it... NeoPat Extreme Organic Wood Finisher

Hmm, i got this thing about "neo" dunno why. Probably better than Old Pat, or Dr.Pat. Hmm, maybe that would explain the stench of that baccy?

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2006, 12:21 AM
.... i do know that piddling on yer feet is good for getting rid of chilblains - ....

There is some science in that.... chilblains are caused by the cold, pee comes out warm.

How did we get here???
Ooo, I remember....

Once I saw a bird on high......... geeze I'm glad that cows don't fly.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 12:42 AM
Ooo, I remember....

Once I saw a bird on high......... geeze I'm glad that cows don't fly.

No, no, no, no!

A little birdy flying high,
Dropped a message from the sky.
As I wiped it from my eye,
I thanked the Lord that cows can't fly.

Some classics should never be condensed. [sigh]

tashammer
4th October 2006, 01:11 AM
classics? and that from the man who looks like he came off a packet of Players, still they were classic, back in the old days of cough, wheeze gasp, geddawai with yer dirty fags.

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2006, 01:35 AM
No, no, no, no!
...Some classics should never be condensed. [sigh]

Yeah well, I couldn't remember it all so I kinda went 1,2 miss a few 99,100 coming ready or not.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 01:41 AM
Yeah well, I couldn't remember it all so I kinda went 1,2 miss a few 99,100 coming ready or not.

I know how it goes. A bit like my rendition of "Man From Snowy River." :o

There was movement at the station,
For the word had passed around
That the colt from old Regret had passed away.

THE END.

:D

hcbph
4th October 2006, 10:03 AM
I shoveled too much of that stuff on the farm as a kid to ever consider putting it on something. I think you'll find it stain the wood over time

Paul

ticklingmedusa
4th October 2006, 01:37 PM
"In South Africa we use cow poop as a sealer on wood!!:eek: :eek:"

I'm not saying i'm for it or against it but I must say it kind of takes the concept of a turned salad bowl in a completely different direction :D

Felder
4th October 2006, 02:19 PM
<table style="border-collapse: collapse; 405px; 184px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody><tr><td align="left" height="60" width="180">
</td> <td colspan="2" align="left" height="60" width="180">
</td> <td align="left" height="60" width="180">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="left" width="156">
</td> <td align="left" width="121">
</td> <td align="left" width="179">
</td> <td colspan="2" align="left" width="101"> http://www.ubeaut.biz/bs.gif</td></tr></tbody> </table>

Harry72
4th October 2006, 03:11 PM
You could add some lime to combat the smell.

Andy Mac
4th October 2006, 04:19 PM
No idea about about the poo itself, but any urine included would probably stain the timber...I heard various stable produce was particularly good on oak, turning it black. Even to the extent of storing the timber in the stable, to be covered with it:eek:, in pre-fuming days.

Let us know how it goes... but then again, I'm not keen to follow!!:D

Cheers,

Caveman
4th October 2006, 07:06 PM
Not sure about it being used as a sealer, but the local nomadic types around here use it to stain the big sticks and spear handles that they like to carry around. They simply bury the wood in the area where the cattle are kept at night - retrieve several months later for use. The wood comes out a very dark brown to black. Doesn't smell to bad, but thats never been an issue here!

When cow dung dries, generally it cracks - don't know how that would help in sealing something. Maybe has to be made into a smooth paste and kind of put on like wall plaster???
Let us know how it turned out if anyone has a go.

wes
4th October 2006, 09:14 PM
gerday,

The cowsh certainly sounds like the real deal as a stain, it should stain, so to speak.
I personally, would get out my best cotton tee shirt and strain off a brew through that, can't see the need for any lumpy stuff to be included.
By the way, the word is that the stuff can be used to filter water as well, there's just no end to the talent displayed by the stuff.
good wood, clean grain,
wes

cedar n silky
4th October 2006, 10:37 PM
Should I post a pic of my rough turned bowl covered in cow poop, or shall I leave that to your imagination?:D You know how there's the excellent EEE Ubeut products, what about OOO (without the M), or is that too close to our esteemed forum hosts products?:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 11:35 PM
How about "Pat-a-cake Products"? You could have several product lines; MOO, obviously, but there's always BAA and... :D

Damn now, I'll never be able to hear a certain nursery rhymw without cringing inside: "Pat-a-cake, Pat-a-cake, Baker's man..." :(

journeyman Mick
4th October 2006, 11:38 PM
I know that cow manure was used as a binder in wattle and daub construction. Don't know if it helped seal it, but it was added in to help bind the daub.

Mick

Cliff Rogers
4th October 2006, 11:43 PM
Daub gib me dat chit Mick... :p

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 11:56 PM
I know that cow manure was used as a binder in wattle and daub construction. Don't know if it helped seal it, but it was added in to help bind the daub.

As I understand it, 'tis not much a binding as a wetting agent. Straw is tused for binding... and fresh manure gives the right consistency to the daub for application without needing to add water. (Assuming correct proportions, of course. ;)) This "minimal water" approach helps to prevent the daub from cracking as it dries.

Mind you, it takes a long days collecting to be able to get enough dung to do even one small wall. [sigh]

I much prefer tamped adobe or mud-brick. :D

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2006, 12:09 AM
...Mind you, it takes a long days collecting to be able to get enough dung to do even one small wall. [sigh]....
Yur look'n in all the wrong places Skew, there's plenty fly'n around here. :D

tashammer
5th October 2006, 12:32 AM
When cow dung dries, generally it cracks - don't know how that would help in sealing something. Maybe has to be made into a smooth paste and kind of put on like wall plaster???
Let us know how it turned out if anyone has a go.

they add some sieved soil, same as what was used for the bricks but without the straw. Not sure what the ratio is. You could googlerise the terms "bagging+mud+bricks"

another thing they use is a product called "Bondcrete" but that tends to leave a vague glossy effect.

tashammer
5th October 2006, 12:34 AM
Yur look'n in all the wrong places Skew, there's plenty fly'n around here. :D

Quickly now, everyone form a circle around Cliff and collect his bs and we can use it to build a workshop wall. :-))

tashammer
5th October 2006, 12:40 AM
As I understand it, 'tis not much a binding as a wetting agent. Straw is tused for binding... and fresh manure gives the right consistency to the daub for application without needing to add water. (Assuming correct proportions, of course. ;)) This "minimal water" approach helps to prevent the daub from cracking as it dries.

Mind you, it takes a long days collecting to be able to get enough dung to do even one small wall. [sigh]

I much prefer tamped adobe or mud-brick. :D

same as for mud brick. the mix for rammed earth or pise has a different clay ratio. working with pise is harder than mudbricks. There is an excellent book called "Build Your House from or of Earth" by Middleton who worked for the CSIRO back then. The book has been reprinted quite a few times. Good value. CSIRO used to get decent funding before a series of short-sighted governments bollixed things up.

Cliff Rogers
5th October 2006, 12:49 AM
Quickly now, everyone form a circle around Cliff and collect his bs and we can use it to build a workshop wall. :-))
Now what the FAQ would you do with a one walled shed? :cool:

Opps, gotta go. (now I know what a one walled shed is good for.) :D