PDA

View Full Version : Goblet with rings

powderpost
3rd October 2006, 09:59 PM
While doing a demo I was asked if a goblet with two rings was possible, for a wedding anniversary. The task was duly completed and received with some joy. A bystander asked if more rings were possible. The challenge was accepted with glee. The result was a goblet 130mm high with twenty rings. Don't really know why you would want to do it, but the task was interesting, and people kept coming back to see what the latest tally was.
Jim

ss_11000
3rd October 2006, 10:05 PM
lol. interesting peice....would have been kinda weird to turn with all them rings flying around. did you tape em up to one end, to stop em coming in contact with anything?

have a greenie btw :)

powderpost
3rd October 2006, 10:09 PM
They were held back with the left hand while turning with the right hand.
Jim

cedar n silky
3rd October 2006, 10:10 PM
That's bloomin amazing Jim!!:D

dazzler
3rd October 2006, 10:17 PM
:D
Captivating!

tashammer
3rd October 2006, 10:24 PM
gotta say that is a very frugal and efficient use of wood, lolololol.

TTIT
4th October 2006, 12:27 AM
Jim - novel exercise - good to see you use a piece of solid wood for once ;):D:D What sort of tool do you use to part the rings off??? Do you use the one tool to cut both sides???

tashammer
4th October 2006, 01:29 AM
It's very impressive. Now i wonder who will take up the challenge and make a goblet with a 3' stem and 11ty million rings? Any takers? Or how about a ring with 11 goblets?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
4th October 2006, 01:33 AM
Oooer! A challenge, eh!?

I'm tempted to show y'all the next step in captive rings... http://www.ubeaut.biz/laughdevil.gif

tashammer
4th October 2006, 01:39 AM
and so young too, only 46 he was. His ticker burst under the strain you know. did it? Yes it did. Poor lad. Yes i know. They found him mumbling 1 more ring, just one more ring. Luck his turning thing was only going slow else it would have bashed his head in. Yes, i bet it was, Dud. Yes. Kerflappity, flappity it went. Did it? Yes it did. Funny noise that. Yes it is. Sort of like a cane toad caught on a nail sticking out of a tyre. Yes, you could say that. I could, couldn't i? Yes, you could.

OGYT
5th October 2006, 02:28 PM
Jim, that's amazing! :eek: Test of skill, and of patience! :D Tool used for the rings?:confused:

Tas, did you hear Cliff? Go get back in bed. It'll wear off after a good night's sleep... maybe. :D :D :D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
5th October 2006, 05:01 PM
I thought I'd replied to this but... (unless 'twas del'd by the PTBs 'cos of copyright or something? :confused: ) Anyways, here's what I aspire to, one day when my skills improve another ten-fold. One day... one day... [sigh] But I wanna make one now! :(

These are David Springett's work, I heartily recommend each'n'every turner to at least borrow his books, if not actually add them to your workshop library....

Captive rings? Kiddies' play! :D:D

tashammer
5th October 2006, 05:23 PM
has anyone seen any pics of Grinling Gibbons work? Though i believe he was more of a carver, amongst other things. I saw a pic in the English Woodworker many years ago of a lace cravat he had carved out of pear wood and i have never seen anything so more realistic, it was really beautiful. Gibbons was talented almost beyond belief. Springett looks like another one.
Sometimes it feels good to belong to the human race when there are people of such ability around. Most of them seem to be humble folks as well. And i can see it popping up in folks of the forum - every now and again there appears to be a surge in someones creativity and skill that really goes beyond normal bounds. Sometimes they find it hard to believe themselves even though they can touch the evidence.

It's a bit like knapping a rock and finding opal. Go into someones garage or old shed and there it is.

Woodies are good like that.

thetassiebfg
5th October 2006, 06:48 PM
These are David Springett's work, I heartily recommend each'n'every turner to at least borrow his books, if not actually add them to your workshop library....
! :D:D

I borrowed a his Wood Turning Wizardry from the library about five - six years ago and have been scrounging the second hand bookshops trying to find a copy.. went into my local (Bookshop not Pub) and find they've reprinted it.. bought it htere and then.

No excuses now people unless lack of money, enthusiasm or interest count

Now all I need is a Lathe and about 100 yars practice

Auld Bassoon
5th October 2006, 06:55 PM
Ho hum :D

One for the museum of "how the hell did he do that?"

powderpost
5th October 2006, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the nice comments people. The "ring" tool is made from a file. Steady there, I know files are no good etc. It is ground so that it is reversable, and does both sides. Photo attached
Skew mentioned David Springetts book, he has written a few. I have two of his, "Adventures in Woodturning" and "Woodturning Wizadry". Some excellent projects there, with full instructions. Photo of a lattice pomander made from "Woodturning Wizadry". Doing one of the profects in those books is a great lesson in self discipline, perserverance and accuracy. Springett is definitly a one of kind artists.
Jim

TTIT
5th October 2006, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the pic of the tool Jim.:D I had a look at 'woodturning wizardry' at a bookshop recently and just thought, "yeah right - like you'd even find time to make the tools!!".:rolleyes: Maybe if I make it to retirement!:)

powderpost
5th October 2006, 11:44 PM
I am here to tell you there is NO spare time in retirement.... :) I know, I have been here for eleven years.
Jim

chrisb691
6th October 2006, 08:31 AM
While doing a demo I was asked if a goblet with two rings was possible, for a wedding anniversary. The task was duly completed and received with some joy. A bystander asked if more rings were possible. The challenge was accepted with glee. The result was a goblet 130mm high with twenty rings. Don't really know why you would want to do it, but the task was interesting, and people kept coming back to see what the latest tally was.
Jim

Now that you've mastered captive rings, how about a ring with two captive goblets? :D

powderpost
6th October 2006, 10:49 PM
Now there IS a challenge. Will give that one some thought. :)
Jim

Gil Jones
7th October 2006, 02:59 AM
That multi-ring goblet is amazing!!!
Thanks for showing it, and that ring tool.:D

tashammer
7th October 2006, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the nice comments people. The "ring" tool is made from a file. Steady there, I know files are no good etc. It is ground so that it is reversable, and does both sides.
Jim

did you detemper and retemper your instrument. I know that files are no good too. i was finally put off when i read an article where the woodie, via the inevitable friend, was shown a human heart preserved in a bottle of formalin that had 3/4 of a file embedded in it. You can guess the rest.
Pity really cos i used to spend ages grinding them smooth, then shaping them.

powderpost
8th October 2006, 11:00 PM
Tas, no I didn't temper the file, but I am very careful when using it. I forgot to mention that I roll a bead before undercutting the ring and always give the bent tool a bit of clearance to keep the amount of steel in contact with the wood, to a bare minimum.
Jim

Yogi Rasi
10th October 2006, 02:04 AM
Now that you've mastered captive rings, how about a ring with two captive goblets? :D
Chris' challenge got me thinking. I read it yesterday, thought it through, and started. I started with a 100mm cube of oak. I thought it was birch. I think the oak was a bit too hard. I marked it out and started. Unfortunately, I accidentally mounted one side crooked, which caused dramas down the track. Today was make or break. It was going well. I even took some progress photos. As I was parting the ring it broke. I cheated a little as I cut away some of the excess with a wood chisle. I thought that if you can use a bandsaw to cut blanks I can use a wood chisle to cut away some excess. Have you ever tried to turn a cube on 3 different axis? After the ring broke I continued for practice. Then one goblet broke. It certainly wouldn't have won any awards for finish. I put my lack of success down to; inexperience, too few chisels, and a bucking bronco of a lathe. But I believe my approach is sound.
Yogi

Skew ChiDAMN!!
10th October 2006, 04:59 PM
Hmmmm...

[slinks out to lathe]