PDA

View Full Version : Combining ceramics with wood

tashammer
7th October 2006, 12:40 PM
has anyone seen any examples of combining ceramics with wood e.g. closed petals, slightly open at the top, with every other petal being wood. Or bowl shaped with the lower part of the bowl being ceramic and the upper wood (be ok to put plants in?).

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th October 2006, 05:17 PM
has anyone seen any examples of combining ceramics with wood e.g. closed petals, slightly open at the top, with every other petal being wood. Or bowl shaped with the lower part of the bowl being ceramic and the upper wood (be ok to put plants in?).

I've tried my hand at mixed media, although I haven't actually made the ceramic parts. (Or the glass, porcelain, metal or whatever it may be I throw into my beasts.)

I used to haunt op-shops, looking for suitable items at the right price. There aren't many, apart from shot-glasses. :rolleyes: But there'd be the occasional chipped bowl, which I could trim down on my lapidary saw and "work in" to my turnings. Nothing fantastic, sorry to say, but the ideas are still rattling around in my head, wiating for the right parts to pass my way. It's a challenge turning the timber to mate up neatly to the other material, while providing sufficient room to also allow for timber movement.

I love your idea of the alternating flower petals! Andy Mac made a monster flower (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=33369) that bears close scrutiny... no ceramics, but it's still much more original than anything I've managed. Yet. ;)

tashammer
7th October 2006, 06:01 PM
Skewy

What might be the go is to have say the sepals in ceramic down to the stalk and have the petals in wood resting on the sepals that way the movement of the wood wouldn't be a problem. The heart of the flower, if it was open, could be ceramic or whatever takes your fancy.

Some of the Gary Greenwood style leatherwork would be good. He went and karked it though which was a bloody big loss. At one time i would have thought what a pity to do when one is really getting to know the medium (ia) one uses. But these days i think it is a good time to move on. How positive to see a vast creative panorama in your minds eye and then..gone. There is a richness to that kind of leavetaking. So, good on him. He blessed us with great work.

Oops off track.

Yes, Andy's mutant flower is wonderful. The seed pod would look rather good cast in bronze or even aluminium and glazed with a patina finish.

tashammer
7th October 2006, 06:21 PM
ermm, i am wondering away from the precise and regular ways of ornamental turning here. But Skewy, have you thought about making a small furnace, melting down a few pistons and casting some aluminium stalks and sepals opening up a flower of timber with perhaps aluminium leaf stalks that flow into wooden leaves? The heart of the flower(s) could be polished stones, maybe?

Harry II
7th October 2006, 07:35 PM
Hi Skew and Tas, thought yoy may be interested in this:
http://www.art.net/Studios/Sculptors/Stina/index.html

Skew ChiDAMN!!
7th October 2006, 08:08 PM
Hi Skew and Tas, thought yoy may be interested in this:
http://www.art.net/Studios/Sculptors/Stina/index.html

:eek: That just sent all my fledgling ideas scurrying for cover! Maybe when they've grown up a bit, they'll come back into the light. :D

ermm, i am wondering away from the precise and regular ways of ornamental turning here. But Skewy, have you thought about making a small furnace, melting down a few pistons and casting some aluminium stalks and sepals opening up a flower of timber with perhaps aluminium leaf stalks that flow into wooden leaves? The heart of the flower(s) could be polished stones, maybe?

I've made several very basic forges from old Holden wheel rim, vac cleaners and a lot of clay. That's about it for my efforts in that direction. Maybe once I start to feel I'm mastering my turning I'll start to look at moving into other areas... but until then I'll restrict my cockups to one field at a time. :D