PDA

View Full Version : Potpourri Dish & Bowl

Captain Chaos
8th October 2006, 10:59 PM
G'day everyone,
I got to do some turning this weekend for the first time in way too long. I thought that I'd post a piccy of my efforts.
The potpourri dish on the left is turned from fiddleback redgum: 125mmų x 65mm high. Finished with EEE Ultrashine & Shellawax Cream from The Boss.
The bowl is turned from coolabah burl: 140mmų x 35mm high. Finished with Ubeaut Sanding Sealer, EEE Ultrashine & Ubeaut Glow. I polished and then burnished this bowl with Webrax 1500 grit to give a satin finish.
The potpourri dish is a gift for a special friend and will be used as its name implies. The coolabah bowl is ( hopefully ) going to be displayed at the Waite Institute / Woodgroup SA Working with Wood Exhibition later this year.
I managed to complete both pieces without any disasters & actually resisted the infamous "just take one final cut & then she'll be right" syndrome. Winner, winner :D
Regards,
Barry.

cedar n silky
8th October 2006, 11:22 PM
They look real nice Barry!:)

TTIT
9th October 2006, 12:21 AM
Great looking pieces Barry.:) Interesting color in the burl - coolabah's a bit redder up this way.

tashammer
9th October 2006, 01:17 AM
nice ones Barry, really nice .

OGYT
9th October 2006, 09:42 AM
Barry, good job! They look great. Love that Coolibah burl!! Never had my hands on a piece of it tho'. Nice finish on both of 'em, too. :o)
I found a couple of those PotPourri pewter lids at a flea market for a buck. Now I gotta turn one of those bowls. Hope I can get it to come out as nice as yours. :o)

Gil Jones
9th October 2006, 04:33 PM
Thanks for sharing these fine potpourri pieces with us, Berry. Well done turning, and I like the shape and finish (not to mention the handsome wood).

ss_11000
9th October 2006, 05:20 PM
very nice wood. awesome finish and great form. really excellent peices overall. great work...greenie
cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th October 2006, 06:50 PM
I thought I'd already replied, but... :confused:

As has been said, nice pieces, nice wood. Pat on the back time.

actually resisted the infamous "just take one final cut & then she'll be right" syndrome. Winner, winner :D

Wow! My hero! :D That's a battle I'm sick of losing... :(

BrettC
9th October 2006, 08:55 PM
Barry,

Great work, something for me to aim at. Does justice to the nice bits a wood too.

Cheers

stevesandy
9th October 2006, 09:47 PM
Again this gives me goals to aspire to. Some very nice work
STEVE:) :cool:

Toasty
9th October 2006, 10:15 PM
I really like the bead you got on the burl there, very nice.

Wild Dingo
9th October 2006, 11:02 PM
WOW!!... love that potpuri one mate!! :cool: man I can just about understand how to turn a bowl I can almost get my head although not my chisels aroun that and the same with a lid and a flat platter sorta like that one of yours... but that LID IS AWEFLAMINSOME mate!! :eek: I mean is that ornamental turning in the supreme or what?? and the color!! whew how did you do that? ;)

Well done and great stuff... which I will one day be able to aspire to! :cool:

Captain Chaos
10th October 2006, 09:26 PM
Hello everyone,
Thank you all for your comments, they are much appreciated. I know that I'm on the right track with my turning now. :)
TTIT, this piece had some beautiful red colouring in it, but I actually turned it away when hollowing the interior, :( it was only a small burl. I believe that the burl came from out your way.;):)
Al, have a go mate, remember, the greatest potpourri dish begins with the first cut. :D That's all the deep & meaningful philosophy you'll get from me tonight!:o
Skew, thanks for the pat on the back. Don't worry, I've slotted right back into the system again, two more hand grenades last evening.:eek:
" Mummy, Uncle Barry's turnig wooben things on his woob lave again."
"Alright Lauren, tell Daddy to put the trailer on the car, we'll go around to Uncle Barrys and get some more fire wood. The heap needs topping up":(
G'day Shane, Thank you for you comments.:) The lid is actually cast pewter. I ain't good, I'm sorry to say. Oh well. I bought a couple of them at the Adelaide T&WW show from a fellow from W.A actually. If I ever get to have some holidays, I'll come over to show you how to create designer firewood with confidence.:D
Thanks again everone.
Regards,
Barry.