PDA

View Full Version : ITs DONE !!! And it works!

OGYT
11th October 2006, 01:40 PM
I really do appreciate the information I've received concerning this experiment, from this forum!:) The problem's been solved.:D
I was talking to a friend this mornin' at the FireStation. Told him about trying to set up this system, and, he takes me over to his shed, and gave :eek: me a continuous duty, 1/10 HP <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City><st1:place>Dayton</st1:place></st1:City> geared motor, that turns 60 RPM. Solved all my problems quickly.:D

Pic 1. I mounted it and the arbor on a piece of plywood that clamps to the bench, for use.
There are two pulleys on the arbor, opposite the chuck, that give me 33 and/or 41 RPM. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
I have to move the Arbor if I want to change speeds (depends on the size of the HF, when setting up).
Pic 2. This shows one bolt (threads into tee-nut on bottom) holding the frontside of the Arbor, and the other bolt to be used if I change speeds. (Due to such slow speeds and lack of pressure on the belt, ya only need one bolt on the front and one on the back.)
<o:p></o:p>
Pic 3. This shows the other two bolts. One holding the Arbor, and the other one to use if I change speeds.
I'll try to figure out something to reverse the rotation. It may involve a larger base board, so I can turn the Arbor around with the Chuck toward the back.
Anyway, thanks to my retired FireFighter friend, it's finished aready.
And many thanks to Terry Daniel, for this idea. :cool:

Ian Smith
11th October 2006, 01:51 PM
*TSK* - here I was expecting a Heath Robinson result and you go and disappoint

http://www.pr.gov.br/batebyte/edicoes/2003/bb137/imagens/torto.gif

Ian

OGYT
11th October 2006, 02:30 PM
Big Grin, here. I give up. What is it?
And who's Heath Robinson?

Ian Smith
11th October 2006, 02:39 PM
According to google ....The corresponding term in the U.S. is Rube Goldberg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg), after an American cartoonist with an equal devotion to odd machinery.
The machines he drew were usually kept running by balding, bespectacled men in overalls. The machines were frequently powered by steam boilers or kettles, heated by candles or a spirit lamp; often there would be complex pulley arrangements, threaded by lengths of knotted string. Robinson's cartoons were so popular, that even to this day in Britain, the name "Heath Robinson" is used as shorthand for an improbable, rickety machine barely kept going by incessant tinkering. :)

Ian

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th October 2006, 04:03 PM
So, you have a closed form ready to tumble? It has me curious as to how well it'll work; I suspect that it'll work well on some timbers and "hollow out" the late growth sections of the grain, like hand-sanding Oregon, on others.

Either way should be a "how did you do that?" finish. :)

Don't forget to keep us posted!

TTIT
11th October 2006, 04:59 PM
So, you have a closed form ready to tumble? It has me curious as to how well it'll work; I suspect that it'll work well on some timbers and "hollow out" the late growth sections of the grain, like hand-sanding Oregon, on others.

Either way should be a "how did you do that?" finish. :)

Don't forget to keep us posted!If nothing else, he'll have some shiny gravel to embed in the outside of the form ;):D Hurry up and show some results Al!:D

tashammer
11th October 2006, 06:20 PM
i wonder why he didn't build a gemstone tumbler?

Skew ChiDAMN!!
11th October 2006, 06:59 PM
Maybe because the wooden form is the tumbler? :D

weisyboy
11th October 2006, 07:16 PM
*TSK* - here I was expecting a Heath Robinson result and you go and disappoint

http://www.pr.gov.br/batebyte/edicoes/2003/bb137/imagens/torto.gif

Ian

is it driven by the bike

Ian Smith
11th October 2006, 07:32 PM
Dunno - I'll ask Heath, but I think the bike is DRIVEN and a small Mamond steam engine, powered by a pile of burning sawdust, is the DRIVER

http://www.mamod.co.uk/images/sp6a.jpg

tashammer
12th October 2006, 02:22 AM
Maybe because the wooden form is the tumbler? :D

you have a point there. i forgotted.

OGYT
12th October 2006, 01:03 PM
Appreciate the explanation of Heath Robinson, Ian. Sorry to disappoint you.;)

Skew, I don't have a form ready to tumble yet, but I've tumbled a couple before, using an old electric ice cream freezer motor. :eek: You're right. On close-grained hardwood, it's pretty nice. :D On woods like Mimosa or Oak, it takes a little more out of the soft grain. Of course that's alright with me. On a form with a larger opening, when you feel of it inside it's unique. When you look at it, it's sort of like a light sand-blasting. :D Will try to get a HF started tomorrow, soon's I get the present Wenge bowl done.

Tas, I tried using a bucket on the freezer motor, using foam to center the HF. Made the mistake of finishing the outside first. :eek: Contraption fell apart inside the bucket, leaving my HF to bounce around with the rocks falling out of it, etc., etc. Besides that, the motor didn't turn fast enough anyway.:(

I'll keep you posted on how it works.

OGYT
16th October 2006, 05:44 AM
I've got a spalted birch HF on the tumbler. :D Decided that I had it going too slow:eek: so I took the 3-5/8" pulley off, and replaced it with a 2.25". That gives me 53.3 RPM. Much better. :D I'll post again with the results.

hughie
16th October 2006, 09:40 AM
I've got a spalted birch HF on the tumbler. :D Decided that I had it going too slow:eek: so I took the 3-5/8" pulley off, and replaced it with a 2.25". That gives me 53.3 RPM. Much better. :D I'll post again with the results

Al, Look forward to the pics with interest. Never thought of using a tumbler for finishing. OG's do have YG ideas. thumbs up!

OGYT
18th October 2006, 02:23 PM
Al, Look forward to the pics with interest. Never thought of using a tumbler for finishing. OG's do have YG ideas. thumbs up!

Here's a couple pics of the form on the tumbler. The first one shows the little chunk of wood in one jaw, to make it run crooked. :eek: (helps get near the opening. Gotta move it a couple of time, I guess.)
Second shot shows it turning... you can see the ghost image caused by:D the wobble.

This is slightly spalted birch. Takes a lot longer on softer wood, I think. We'll see....;)
Oh yeah... thought I might explain the brown paper sack attached to the end of the motor... The motor got a bit hot, so I rigged up a large fan, and funneled the air through a paper shroud. (it worked... and I couldn't find th' little pancake fans I thought I had, and you can't buy one in this small town.) The metal rods stickin' up by the belt just keep the twisted belt on the pulleys, and keep it from rubbin' together. (Quitcher laughin', Hughie.)

Ross
18th October 2006, 03:12 PM
I thought the paper bag was to stop the motor hyper ventilating!

Ross