PDA

View Full Version : Had to happen...

TTIT
12th October 2006, 12:09 AM
Thought I'd take a night off the buffet I'm working on for my daughter cos' the lathe looked lonely:D (and I was having withdrawals:o). Dragged out that piece of Bumble tree that was full of grubs (here (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=37410)) after having nuked it dry following the original post. Was shaping up real nice - formed a lip that sort of divided the solid bottom section from the grub riddled area - had the wall down to a "safe" 4 or 5mm - was lookin' real good :). Out with the 180 to start going through the grits and 'cathud' :eek: (the sound of my knuckles going through the side) :eek:closely followed by 'katink', 'katink', 'clang' (the sound of wood hitting various obstacles around the shed). I think there were 6 pieces blown out - found 4 - look closely and you'll see No.5 in my small knuckle :(- if I find No.6, I might have a go at gluing it back together, if not, it will become a rather boring looking plate!
Really starting to wonder if maybe it's time to let one beat me!:mad: Might also change my sanding practices :D - maybe!;)

martrix
12th October 2006, 12:15 AM
doh!...claret has been spilt.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th October 2006, 12:20 AM
Really starting to wonder if maybe it's time to let one beat me!:mad: Might also change my sanding practices :D - maybe!;)

Let me guess: Zed taught you turning? Most of us sand with our fingertips, not our knuckles... :D

'Tis a dangerous looking blank, but I can see why you mounted her up. I think I'd have done some serious filling with resin after roughing to shape though, before the final cuts. Not so much to fill the voids as to add structural support, along with a good dose of CA where the crack was.

How''s it look without the missing #6? Salvagable by glue & resin or would it be too obvious that a bit's gone AWOL?

Captain Chaos
12th October 2006, 12:26 AM
G'day TTIT,
Been there, done that. Got the scars to prove it. :( You ain't Robinson Crusoe mate. Hope that your knuckle isn't too bad. Burn that piece of wood. Plenty more where that came from. Trees are still growing.
I guess that some good came out of this hand grenade session as you are examining your sanding methods & looking to improve them.
Regards,
Barry.

Caveman
12th October 2006, 01:09 AM
G'day TTIT,
You ain't Robinson Crusoe mate. Hope that your knuckle isn't too bad.

Can't get everything done by Friday - that what you trying to say:) .

Ouch TTIT - that had to tingle for a bit!
Hope you get the better of the tricky little blighter - as Barry said the fire is always an option!

tashammer
12th October 2006, 02:10 AM
Sympathy. Now don't waste the blood, i'm told it makes terrific gravy. :)

Gil Jones
12th October 2006, 02:18 AM
That sort of thing is never fun. Glad to hear that the pieces were not embedded in your head, or other parts. Knuckles heal rather fast.

TTIT
12th October 2006, 08:55 AM
. I think I'd have done some serious filling with resin after roughing to shape though, before the final cuts. Not so much to fill the voids as to add structural support, along with a good dose of CA where the crack was.

How''s it look without the missing #6? Salvagable by glue & resin or would it be too obvious that a bit's gone AWOL?

Had a better look at it this morning and cannot figure how it held together for me while I was turning :confused: . This wood is so incredibly abrasive I was sharpening VERY regularly so maybe no real pressure was applied to the bad area until I sanded. Found that there was actually only one section of the break about 15mm long that was wood - the rest was all bark inclusion and crap - basically nothing to glue back :eek: . Yet another useless plate coming up! :D

cedar n silky
12th October 2006, 08:58 AM
I'd put that lump of wood/ bowl on a chopping block and beat the cr-p out of it with a block axe, till it resembled lumpy poridge.:eek: :D Try it TTIT, it will make you feel a whole lot better!!;)

RufflyRustic
12th October 2006, 09:42 AM
Hi TTIT,

Glad to see that only a small amount of claret was offered to the gods of turning, hope they don't want any more from you :rolleyes:

Yeah, looks like a plate - maybe it could hold 4 or 5 of your wooden eggs?

cheers
Wendy

hughie
12th October 2006, 10:06 AM
Arrrggghhh, hand tooled fire wood....:D did my Phd in that....:D

DJ’s Timber
12th October 2006, 10:15 AM
ouch

ss_11000
12th October 2006, 11:55 AM
i kinda know how it feels, a coupla time while sanding bowls with the rotary sander, i've clipped the nuckles on the bottom hand, i've never gone that deep into my knuckles...yet.

cheers

ps. hope ya heal up soon.

OGYT
12th October 2006, 12:34 PM
Dang! Bet that hurt! I go along with some of the others on this... fire... or chop first, then fire.
Twas a purty piece of wood, though. I usually tape hazardous wood while I'm sandin' the inside.
Heal fast... then have another go at the lathe.
Cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th October 2006, 04:19 PM
Found that there was actually only one section of the break about 15mm long that was wood - the rest was all bark inclusion and crap - basically nothing to glue back :eek: . Yet another useless plate coming up! :D

I thought that may've been the case, from the way the grubholes aligned with the grain in the 2nd pic of your original post. (When you first found the grubs. :D)

Pity, as it had a lot of promise and would've been a real "Wow!" piece if you'd managed to pull it off.

Ah well... on to the next challenge! ;)

stevesandy
12th October 2006, 06:46 PM
:) Iam still new to this, but I am empathetic as I have felt the clack clack clack "o" was that my knuckles as the job becomes another ufo in my shed. As said earlier heal soon . I tried to post my self destructing square top bowl but that is another story.
All the best STEVE:cool:

TEEJAY
12th October 2006, 07:01 PM
I'd put that lump of wood/ bowl on a chopping block and beat the cr-p out of it with a block axe, till it resembled lumpy poridge.:eek: :D Try it TTIT, it will make you feel a whole lot better!!;)

I am a big fan of this approach :D