PDA

View Full Version : Another first goblet

chrisb691
15th October 2006, 11:27 PM
Got a new lathe. Got a virgin Nova midi chuck. Got a piece of Huon pine about 75 square by 180 long. Gotta try a goblet!! :)

Having read Dingo's tribulations with his goblet flying out of the lathe, I was a bit (well more than a bit) nervous about the amount of timber sticking out of such a tiny chuck, when it came time to hollow out. But I figured I'd follow Skew's method, and leave the centre in position whilst removing the bulk of the material. That proved unworkable, as the centre is quite large in diameter, and I couldn't get around it. Laid out the rough size of the outside, and started hollowing. wow...no problems, apart from a slight tear out right at the bottom. Think I was running a bit slow, for the diameter at that point. Having finished hollowing, I sanded and applied finish (EEE and Shellawax glow).

Then I did the outside, following Skews's demo (thanks again Skew). The part off went surprisingly well, although I hope to improve the finish with practice, as the last 20mm of diameter was quite rough.

Very pleased with the result. It's far from perfect......but it was an enjoyable learning experience. I now need to get some more suitable timber, so I can make a couple of sets (pressies).

Up to now, I've usually ended up using a round scraper for every thing. Basically because, on the gmc, It's the only one that didn't go 'screeeeaaamm chatter chatter KLUNK'. :o Now I find I can use several different ones. Oh what a difference the lathe has made. :) :) :)

BrettC
15th October 2006, 11:36 PM
Nice 50c bit - is it one of those collectable ones? :D
Seriously nice goblet there too....
Will have to try one of these soon.
Well done.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th October 2006, 11:36 PM
Geeze, that was quick mate! I only asked you about goblets a minute or two ago... :eek:

It looks damned good for a first attempt, I've seen lots worse. Hell, I've turned lots worse myself! :o Gi'e yerself a pat on the back, you've earned it. Greenie launched.

DJ’s Timber
16th October 2006, 12:22 AM
Very nice Chris, looks like you are having a ball with the new machine

tashammer
16th October 2006, 12:38 AM
that is a very nice style that is.

OGYT
16th October 2006, 01:46 AM
Better'n any I've turned. Good job. Keep making that lathe sing to ya.
Make yourself up a nice steady rest... using old rollerblade wheels makes a good one... then ya don't have to worry as much about it coming out of the chuck.. :o)

chrisb691
16th October 2006, 08:35 AM
Better'n any I've turned. Good job. Keep making that lathe sing to ya.
Make yourself up a nice steady rest... using old rollerblade wheels makes a good one... then ya don't have to worry as much about it coming out of the chuck.. :o)

Excelent advice, thanks. :)

lubbing5cherubs
16th October 2006, 10:11 PM
Nice Chris

ss_11000
16th October 2006, 10:37 PM
very nice chris. i really like the shape, brilliant.

hope my first will look that good.
cheers

Gil Jones
17th October 2006, 09:30 AM
Chris, that is an excellent goblet.