PDA

View Full Version : Where do you point your tool?

Phil Spencer
16th October 2006, 08:52 PM
When I started turning I adopted the methods I was taught on an engineering lathe, that is I keep my cutting edge a poofteenth below the axial center.

Today I noticed another turner he had set the tool rest level with the axial center thus setting his cutting edge the thickness of the tool above the axial center. This meant that make a cut he had to lift the handle end of the tool to what looked like an uncomfortable height to make a cut.

I find that with the tool rest set a little lower so that the tools cutting edge is just below the axial center of the work I can keep the bevel rubbing and make a comfortable cut.

This is for gouges and scrapers the skew I set the tool rest higher and take a planing cut about 3/4 the way above the axial center of the work.

What does every one else do and why?

Phil

Captain Chaos
16th October 2006, 09:30 PM
G'day Phil,
I set the tool rest approx. 6mm below the centre line of the work for the reasons that you have stated. I arrived at this distance by trial and error, and from a couple of books on turning by Mark Baker and Bert Marsh etc.
For the skew chisel I tend to set the tool rest above centre, but the height varies with the diameter of the work being turned at the time. I tend to mess around with the height until the skew seems to cut freely without too much force, or having to fight the tool.
Don't know if this is right, but it works for me.
Regards,
Barry.
P.S Phil, are you out of the dog house yet?;)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2006, 09:46 PM
I find I set the tool rest depending on what tool I'm using and what cut I'm making with it. [shrug] But generally speaking, it's just below the centre.

Cliff Rogers
16th October 2006, 09:52 PM
Ditto

Jackson
16th October 2006, 10:15 PM
G'day Phil

It seems to me that if you want a gouge to cut rather than scrape you need to have the bevel rubbing. It follows that for the most part the tool rest has to be below the axial centre. (Maybe an exception would be for a piece with an extremely large radius)
If you have to lift the tool handle a long way, you will either lift the bevel off the piece and start scraping, or if the bevel is in contact with the piece you start to lose the support of the tool rest, so that even though you are rubbing the bevel the work pushes the tool back toward you, rather than down on to the rest.

With this in mind I set the rest to a position below axial centre which allows the tool to be held at a comfortable angle with the bevel rubbing. I have a very heavy 2 inch roughing gouge that I set the rest for about half a centimetre (or possibly a little more) lower than I would for a light bowl gouge.

Dunno if this is all technically correct but it seems to make make sense to me.

Tornatus
16th October 2006, 10:19 PM
G'day Phil

Since everyone else has pointedly ignored the blatant double entendre in the title of your original post, I guess I should follow suit ...

If you follow the turner's mantra that I was taught - "45 degrees to the wood, bevel rubbing" - then you can't position the tool rest anywhere but below axial centre. If someone is using a tool, even a scraper of some sort, with the tool rest higher than axial centre and the handle elevated above the tool tip, then he or she is just asking for a catch and a smack in the jaw or nose from the handle as the tool tip is trapped between the rest and the wood. :confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2006, 10:24 PM
If someone is using a tool, even a scraper of some sort, with the tool rest higher than axial centre and the handle elevated above the tool tip, then he or she is just asking for a catch and a smack in the jaw or nose from the handle as the tool tip is trapped between the rest and the wood. :confused:

Sorry to disagree with you, but that's exactly how a scraper is used. Not necessarily with the tool-rest above centre, although there are times when it has to be.

Mind you, a scraper is the only tool used that way...

Phil Spencer
16th October 2006, 10:33 PM
G'day Phil,
I set the tool rest approx. 6mm below the centre line of the work for the reasons that you have stated. I arrived at this distance by trial and error, and from a couple of books on turning by Mark Baker and Bert Marsh etc.
For the skew chisel I tend to set the tool rest above centre, but the height varies with the diameter of the work being turned at the time. I tend to mess around with the height until the skew seems to cut freely without too much force, or having to fight the tool.
Don't know if this is right, but it works for me.
Regards,
Barry.
P.S Phil, are you out of the dog house yet?;)

Yep out of the dog house, won't be long before I have to get the dog to move over I suppose, I tend to mess around with the skew to gouges I set below center, scrapers just above center and the skew I muck around woyh also

G'day Phil

It seems to me that if you want a gouge to cut rather than scrape you need to have the bevel rubbing. It follows that for the most part the tool rest has to be below the axial centre. (Maybe an exception would be for a piece with an extremely large radius)
If you have to lift the tool handle a long way, you will either lift the bevel off the piece and start scraping, or if the bevel is in contact with the piece you start to lose the support of the tool rest, so that even though you are rubbing the bevel the work pushes the tool back toward you, rather than down on to the rest.

With this in mind I set the rest to a position below axial centre which allows the tool to be held at a comfortable angle with the bevel rubbing. I have a very heavy 2 inch roughing gouge that I set the rest for about half a centimetre (or possibly a little more) lower than I would for a light bowl gouge.

Dunno if this is all technically correct but it seems to make make sense to me.

Seems safer to do this and more comfortable, the fellow I was watching today didn't look very comfortable.

Phil Spencer
16th October 2006, 10:35 PM
G'day Phil

Since everyone else has pointedly ignored the blatant double entendre in the title of your original post, I guess I should follow suit ...

If you follow the turner's mantra that I was taught - "45 degrees to the wood, bevel rubbing" - then you can't position the tool rest anywhere but below axial centre. If someone is using a tool, even a scraper of some sort, with the tool rest higher than axial centre and the handle elevated above the tool tip, then he or she is just asking for a catch and a smack in the jaw or nose from the handle as the tool tip is trapped between the rest and the wood. :confused:

What's a double entendre?

Tornatus
16th October 2006, 10:44 PM
What's a double entendre?

When something has a double meaning, with the secondary one usually being naughty - someone could wonder "What sort of tool is he talking about?"

Sorry - it's just my perverted sense of humour - I thought you had deliberately expressed your message that way .... :cool:

Phil Spencer
16th October 2006, 10:48 PM
When something has a double meaning, with the secondary one usually being naughty - someone could wonder "What sort of tool is he talking about?"

Sorry - it's just my perverted sense of humour - I thought you had deliberately expressed your message that way .... :cool:

You thought right :)

TTIT
16th October 2006, 11:08 PM
I've taught myself all my own bad habits and like most of you, set the rest height according to the tool I'm using, but for most, it's just below centre. It really doesn't matter that much when you consider that, in order to keep the bevel rubbing as the diameter is reduced with a gouge, the handle has to be raised anyway.
As an aside, my hollowing tools and shear scrapers require the tool rest to be set well above centre.

Hickory
17th October 2006, 10:43 AM
Personal prefference answer on this query. as a teacher for a bunch of years, I had a wide variety of sized students and the equipment stayed the same height. Location of the Tool Rest became a challenge for most students. Each had to find the "Sweet spot" for his/her own height as each approached the lathe and the angle he/she held the tool determined where the cutting edge would enguage.

For my new students I would position the rest so that they would present the cutting edge leading on the bevel and making a slighter cut (prevent catching on the start) as they became more accomplished I would have them move the rest down to present more of the cutting edge.

You too will find a "Sweet Spot" that you feel comfortable using. Just try different places until you learn.

soundman
17th October 2006, 11:12 PM
In the spirit of the title.

1. It depends on how thick your tool is!:eek:
2. Anywhere as long as you keep your bevel rubbing:D

cheers