PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Pine

BernieP
17th October 2006, 07:17 PM
G'day all

Must be the day for hoop pine as I spent the day also making a platter out of it today, I styled it on a "chip'n'dip" dish, as usual appreciate comments both good and bad, finished with EEE and Glow
Bernie:)

TTIT
18th October 2006, 12:01 AM
Good one Bernie :) I always found it was buggerin' stuff for tearout so you did well with that profile. ;)

hughie
18th October 2006, 01:22 AM
Must be the day for hoop pine as I spent the day also making a platter out of it today, I styled it on a "chip'n'dip" dish, as usual appreciate comments both good and bad, finished with EEE and Glow
Bernie:)
[/QUOTE]

Bernie, Nice one, highly practical bowl. Do you use a power sander?

Glow I take it is Shellawax, if so you might want to consider leaving it a few weeks for the finish to go hard. I found out the hard way :( water will mark it real bad if you get it wet too soon.

OGYT
18th October 2006, 01:51 PM
Bernie, don't know anything about "Hoop" Pine, but you sure did a bang-up job on that chip 'n dip platter thing! Really looks nice. Gotta try one like that.

BernieP
18th October 2006, 06:14 PM
G'day

Hughie yes was shellawax Glow first time ive used it and thanks for advice, noticed it even looks harder and shinier today, used 80,120,240,320,400 cloth backed paper by hand.

Al Hoop pine also called Dorrigo Pine is a local east coast pine thats a bit scarcer today, and figure its nice to make something practical.

TTit
had some tearout but nothing I wasn't able to clear up, mind you a very old
dry piece of wood

Bernie

rsser
18th October 2006, 07:00 PM
Nice work Bernie.

btw, what's the piece of wood in the background of the photo? Same thing?

Simomatra
18th October 2006, 07:01 PM
Well done Bernie

Like the design as TTIT said its a bugger for chip out

Well done