PDA

View Full Version : October pen swap pictures

soundman
18th October 2006, 08:59 PM
I don't know if anybody has started posting october pen swap pics but here are mine.

London plane and mulbery straight bush to bush on americana.

cheers

dai sensei
18th October 2006, 09:39 PM
Cool Soundman:cool: - love it when someone is also impatient for the end of the month:D

Funny, I thought the Mulbery would have turned out better than the London Plane looking at the blanks, but your pens look the other way round to me.

Gee, I'd better get on with mine.:o

ss_11000
18th October 2006, 09:41 PM
nice pens mate, greeny etc. is it just me or does mulberry not polish up real well. my pen from it look rather dull and judging ( only by the pic ) yours is a bit dull to (is it better in real life? ).

cheers

btw. aren't pen swap photos meant to go up first of the month?

DJ’s Timber
18th October 2006, 10:10 PM
Stirlo, the Mulberry can be polished up. You just have to load it up with heaps of oil or probably about 10 coats of shellawax and EEE.
If you have a look here (http://www.woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=37516&page=3) and look at post 33, you will see one I did out of the same tree, which I did about 5YRS ago.

soundman
18th October 2006, 10:14 PM
yeh i think the mulbery being dark and coarse grained... its sort of glossy but there is no real light comming out of it.

the london plane looks a lot like gravilia and banksia but in a lighter form... I like it.
the mulbery has its own charm.

I got four pens out of the blanks but the others aren't here at the moment.

these two will go up to wendy.

cheers

ss_11000
18th October 2006, 10:25 PM
Stirlo, the Mulberry can be polished up. You just have to load it up with heaps of oil or probably about 10 coats of shellawax and EEE.

thanx mate. i haven't assembled yet so i'll chuck em back on and repolish.

cheers

Skewpid
18th October 2006, 11:49 PM

TEN Coats ??????:o

Ok .. please x-s'plain . .

Will coat after coat of glow etc build up layers??? .. I thought that it fused into the wood:confused: ..

Also, is it better to shellawax, EEE, shellawax etc etc .. or just layer up the shellawax?

Ive also noticed that if ya try not to touch the thing for a week or so, it holds its finish much betterer;)

Rich.

PS ... It aint November yet !!!!

RufflyRustic
19th October 2006, 09:52 AM
yeh i think the mulbery being dark and coarse grained... its sort of glossy but there is no real light comming out of it.

the london plane looks a lot like gravilia and banksia but in a lighter form... I like it.
the mulbery has its own charm.

I got four pens out of the blanks but the others aren't here at the moment.

these two will go up to wendy.

cheers

Thanks Soundman - They look fantastic!

Cheers
Wendy

tashammer
19th October 2006, 12:06 PM
They look good Soundman and i reckon tou are right about the top one.

Here's another simple question: what is the gold contraption at the top of the pen for? Does it serve any useful purpose or is it an adornment?

Is there a 101 faq or pen parts anywhere?

soundman
19th October 2006, 01:34 PM
The gold protrubance on top is the twist actuator for the pen mech.

Yeh I've been thinking about a pen101 series of threads.

cheers

lubbing5cherubs
20th October 2006, 10:20 PM
"Superfine, diamond, zebra, captivated ring, crosses, feathers,
tiger stripes, camel humps on a sesame seed bun!"

:p

See the blue feathers, superfine under the captive rings there is brass so that super fine I think plus it a slimline so I got this covered both ways.:p .. It all dissapeared. Jude you are the master no way can I do them. :) Diamond see in the feather.:D The zebra is the black and white acrylic, 2 captivated rings. The cross is the bottom half. Feather is blue. Tiger stripes are in the orange acrylic:D , camel hump on the lower half mid way down. The sesame roll as you can see.:D
NAHNAH I had fun brains been working on this since I seen it. See I will try anything on my lathe once. :p :) :D
bye Toni

sorry forgot photo

lubbing5cherubs
20th October 2006, 11:46 PM
added the picture this time. I apologise
Toni

DJ’s Timber
20th October 2006, 11:58 PM
LOL love it Toni, that should throw Dazzler for a wobbly

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 01:04 AM
Thanks DJ that plan I hope LOL
Toni

tashammer
21st October 2006, 10:08 AM
"ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH," he said and dashed into the corner thrusting his head under a pile of cushions in an effort to hide. "Poor widdle lathe", he thought, "What ever did you do?".

How about one with bark on it? Or a piece of old bleached limb?

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 12:56 PM
widdle lathe I think was having a giggle git over it too. I have tried to make a pens since, Well at this point, I have my mandrel and my pen mill soaking in acetone because they both have a brass tube superglued on them. Luckily it my old mandrel that seen better days or hubby would be umm even wilder than I was with myself. So last night I gave up on as a bad job. I think being tired had a lot to do.
bye Toni

soundman
21st October 2006, 07:25 PM
A faster way to get tubes off your mandrell after:D :D gluing them there:D :D is to masage the tubes gently with a.......... hammer.
It just cracks up the glue...... 5 minutes.... back in business.:)
cheers

:D :D :D

chrisb691
21st October 2006, 07:58 PM
Well at this point, I have my mandrel and my pen mill soaking in acetone because they both have a brass tube superglued on them.
Toni

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee. It's not just me. :D

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 08:03 PM
No Chris it not just you. I must get more patient and wait bit longer
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
21st October 2006, 08:05 PM
And here's a little hint... rub wax on your mandrel & bushes. ;)

Not too much, you're not trying to put a finish on it :rolleyes: ...just enough that the bushes still slide easily but the glue (any type of glue) finds it hard to stick. :)

Touchwood
21st October 2006, 08:05 PM
A faster way to get tubes off your mandrell after gluing them there is to masage the tubes gently with a.......... hammer.

I too managed to do this during the week - made 1000 muffins during the day and got a order for 5 pens, "need them tomorrow" - moral - don't lathe tired ....however I massaged mine with pliers and cracked the glue. :D

JD

lubbing5cherubs
21st October 2006, 09:03 PM
Well I did the soak all day, I have done the hammer and the pliers...Hmm well it is still there. I did no half measures for me...back in the acetone
Toni

dai sensei
29th October 2006, 04:05 PM
Just finished the pens for the month and I couldn’t be bothered waiting any longer. It will bring this thread back to the top too.

I thought the London Plane was going to be a bit boring, so used the thick shim of the Mulberry in a zig-zag pattern (from one of Toni’s pens). I will use thinner shims for my next zig-zag, and continue it for the full length (I ran out this time), but it didn’t work out to bad.

The Mulberry pen had fantastic grain and features, so I just cut the blank in 2 and inserted half the London Plane shim, then turned it on its side a repeated. Photo doesn’t give justice to the grain and feature that’s actually there. The left over for this one I used for a key ring.

Cheers

ss_11000
29th October 2006, 04:14 PM
they look great neil. the zigzag one is briliant,
cheers

Skew ChiDAMN!!
29th October 2006, 05:53 PM
Is impatience a virtue? I hope so, 'cos it'd be my best aspect... :D

Here's mine. Didn't want to get fancy after the last few lots and there was enough figure in the grain of each blank to leave them fairly simple(ish). I did cheat and use some scraps from previous pens for a couple of highlights, but only a little bit to enhance the tips. :o

dai sensei
29th October 2006, 06:00 PM
Is impatience a virtue? I hope so, 'cos it'd be my best aspect... :D

Here's mine. Didn't want to get fancy after the last few lots and there was enough figure in the grain of each blank to leave them fairly simple(ish). I did cheat and use some scraps from previous pens for a couple of highlights, but only a little bit to enhance the tips. :o

They look good Skew.

The grain was amazing, my Mulberry had heaps of little eyes in it as well as its natural figure. Nice 3d effect on the cross grain also.

lubbing5cherubs
30th October 2006, 05:31 PM
Well I posted mine in the wrong link. Damn. I will try to fix it
Toni
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33526
http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=33527

Terry B
30th October 2006, 08:21 PM
Here are mine. I also didn't want to do much fancy stuff. I just added mulberry ends to the plane tree.

Touchwood
31st October 2006, 01:07 AM
:( :( :( my 'umble apologies folks ... my october pens will be late - this is a very busy time at work getting grades and marking done ... spent the weekend at work not in the shed :mad: Had trophies to make for the equestrian club (of which I have just been made a life member:eek: :eek: now I'll never be able to say no to the jobs); also preparing for the fire season, and living in 8 acres of natural bush land we take this seriously, so lots of work to do.

May not happen overnight, but they will happen!!!

JD

Stuart
31st October 2006, 11:03 AM
Same for me :o

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 06:59 PM
Here is my two for this month:) . For once I got them done on time:eek:

kruger
31st October 2006, 07:18 PM
Here is my two for this month:) . For once I got them done on time:eek:

I like the pen of the top,:p traditional but with a little imagination.:) the second seem to me too linear, the low part I would like with a more reduced diamêter.:o

nice job and i see a good finish:D

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 07:24 PM
both nicely done. What finish did you use?
Toni

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 07:25 PM
both nicely done. What finish did you use?
Toni
EEE & Shellawax

dai sensei
31st October 2006, 07:47 PM
Nice one DJ.

The shapes aren't my taste, but that's just me. You have captured the grain and reflectivity of the Mulberry in the photo well though.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 08:30 PM
So far all the pens are something for the turners to be proud of. :) There's minor changes I'd like to make to most, but then again there's minor changes I'd make to my own if given a second chance. :rolleyes:

I'm happy to see that a few people have let the timbers speak for themselves, they were some pretty blanks this month. So, besides Jennie & Stu, who's left to 'fess up?

ss_11000
31st October 2006, 08:45 PM
one of mines turned and sent to wendy, the other one is turned, but i'm not happy with the finish so i haven't put it together yet.

the pens so far are looking great guys!

Skewpid
1st November 2006, 01:07 AM
Got one turned ... day off t'murrah :) so gonna turn t'other one.

Will upload pics tomorrow .. or today ...???:confused:

Touchwood
1st November 2006, 01:22 AM
So, besides Jennie & Stu, who's left to 'fess up?

Hey, I've 'fessed that I'm going to be late .. the weekend is now closer than it was yesterday and the migraine has gone!!! .....so go on, give me detention (no, no, no anywhere ...but...the ..SHED!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: )

JD:D

PS glad to see some nice stright foward ones, they'll be faster :D

djstimber love the mulberry sheen.

lubbing5cherubs
1st November 2006, 01:32 AM
EEE & Shellawax

Can you share exactly what you do to finish your pens please.
Toni

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2006, 08:08 AM
Ok, first I sand up to 400G, then remove steel bushes and replace with timber bushes leaving out the middle one. then sand with 600G, 800G and finally 1200G. Then a light smear of EEE and wipe off any excess, using a piece of flannel cloth torn from a bedsheet that I buy specifically for the task, cloth is about 50mm x 25mm folded once lenghtways. Put cloth over pen and holding each end of cloth starting at one end with a fair bit of pressure let it heat up bit and when it starts steaming move the cloth back and forth till your get a nice sheen, discard cloth. Grab a new piece of cloth and drip a few drops of shellawax and quickly run cloth along pen to coat, then repeat same steps as EEE. Let pen cool down while you assemble another pen or something.

I find that if you don't get any heat happening the results are not as good. You must create some friction otherwise the results ain't there.

If you have look at the mulberry pen near the nib, you can see that I was a bit slow in moving the cloth

Skewpid
1st November 2006, 07:04 PM
Okey Dokey .

Here be me pens for the month:)

The mulberry has a wee bit of bone inlay ... like most, I wanted to show off the grain with as little interuption as possible. I think it looks perrrty good in the mont blanc.:rolleyes:

The roller ball in the plane was done today on my brand spanking new variable speed Mini Jet.. picked up today:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D .... so I have thrown in a pic of that too, rather than start a new thread showing off the new baby.:p

lubbing5cherubs
1st November 2006, 07:18 PM
Rich NIce job. You did good. Many hours of enjoyment there with that new baby
Toni

chrisb691
1st November 2006, 07:51 PM
Here's the one I've got so far. :)

I mutilated half the other blank, trying to do a 10mm pen......without the proper gear, and without half a clue as to how to do one. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Now I'm working out a recovery plan, which means I haven't a clue what to do next. But I'll work something out.:mad:

lubbing5cherubs
1st November 2006, 08:26 PM
Nice pen there chris. I love that double cross
Toni

DJ’s Timber
1st November 2006, 08:29 PM
Looking good there Rich and a new toy to boot as well, have fun with it.

Very nice laminating there Chris

Skewpid
2nd November 2006, 08:03 AM
Looking good there Rich and a new toy to boot as well, have fun with it.

Thanks DJ ... And yes, very happy with the new toy:D . Its just so smooth and quiet . . . but I dont need to tell you that;)

Touchwood
3rd November 2006, 01:11 AM
my brand spanking new variable speed Mini Jet.. picked up today .... so I have thrown in a pic of that too, rather than start a new thread showing off the new baby.

.... mine is still in it's box in the car, though not variable speed as they didn't stock that one as it didn't meet some compliance or other - going to be good and wait for my b'day before I open it :p :p I LOVE buying pressies for myself!!!:D :D

Chris - lovely work, the colour contrast looks great.

Here are my efforts, late but made ... added some woody pear for contrast on both, on the mulberry also to keep it 'chunky' to (a) meet market needs as per Wendy's comments and, (b) make a new centre piece so I didn't have to thin it down to balance it. My first effort at a wooden centre bit.

JD

Skewpid
3rd November 2006, 01:17 AM
.... mine is still in it's box in the car, though not variable speed as they didn't stock that one as it didn't meet some compliance or other -

JD

errr .. what? .. what compliance . . . did I get a dud ??? . . please explain!:mad:

PS .. Nice pens

Touchwood
3rd November 2006, 01:25 AM
errr .. what? .. what compliance . . . did I get a dud ??? . . please explain!

Sorry, don't mean to scare you ... I really couldn't say as I didn't really take in what he was saying as I wasn't going to get a variable speed. However I'll ring tomorrow and ask and get back to you. May be a WA thing! Any where I looked on the web showed both, but none were in WA.

JD

DJ’s Timber
3rd November 2006, 10:06 AM
Very nice JD and congrats on your new toy

lubbing5cherubs
3rd November 2006, 11:24 AM
HEy JD you must be very patient. There would be no way I could leave my lathe sitting in the box til my birthday...Man when mine got here I had even tested it before it was set up on a counter. I was sitting on the ground in 42 degree heat playing. Not much wrong with me is there?
Toni

Skewpid
3rd November 2006, 02:16 PM
Sorry, don't mean to scare you ... I really couldn't say as I didn't really take in what he was saying as I wasn't going to get a variable speed. However I'll ring tomorrow and ask and get back to you. May be a WA thing! Any where I looked on the web showed both, but none were in WA.

JD

No probs ... it seems to be running fine .. not sure if its cranking up to the 3900rpm it boasts .. but it is hard to judge cos the thing is so quiet!

HEy JD you must be very patient. There would be no way I could leave my lathe sitting in the box til my birthday...Man when mine got here I had even tested it before it was set up on a counter. I was sitting on the ground in 42 degree heat playing. Not much wrong with me is there?
Toni

psst. . got mine for my birthday ... my birthday is this Tuesday coming ... like Im able to let it sit there til then! .. Yaaaaaaaaaaaw RIGHT !;)

lubbing5cherubs
3rd November 2006, 02:24 PM
well have a ripper of a day on Tuesday. and what a better birthday present. taht what I got this year was my little leda.
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
3rd November 2006, 05:44 PM

Mine was unpacked for a quick cuddle whle we were still travelling home... :D When I bought the MC-900 I was told in no uncertain terms that it had to stay in the box while we travelled or I'd be carrying it home on foot. (I go through more shoes that way... ;))

I really dunno how anyone could leave it in the car for any longer than it takes to open the door! :eek:

Touchwood
3rd November 2006, 10:49 PM
HEy JD you must be very patient. There would be no way I could leave my lathe sitting in the box til my birthday..

well it is not as though I don't have one, and I'm trying really hard to get a few more of the 'must get dones' done BEFORE I get distracted .:cool: . the list is getting smaller, but a few catering jobs like Melbourne Cup lunch (P.S. a good day for Skewpid to back a winner by the looks - many Hippy Happy's for Tuesday:p ) and an arvo tea Wednesday ... reassess then maybe:D :D

JD

lubbing5cherubs
3rd November 2006, 11:29 PM
Mine was unpacked for a quick cuddle whle we were still travelling home...

Hey skew if I was bringing mine home I would of been the same boat. Mine was coming via courier. I think I was checking nearly hourly to see which depot it was in. I rang them someting like 4 times because it vanished off the tracking. It was tracked as far as rockhampton them went missing.:eek:
but don't worry that picture of her at jim's website was carressed and rubbed and talked to until she arrived
Toni:D

lubbing5cherubs
3rd November 2006, 11:35 PM
well it is not as though I don't have one, and I'm trying really hard to get a few more of the 'must get dones' done BEFORE I get distracted .:cool: . the list is getting smaller, but a few catering jobs like Melbourne Cup lunch (P.S. a good day for Skewpid to back a winner by the looks - many Hippy Happy's for Tuesday:p ) and an arvo tea Wednesday ... reassess then maybe:D :D

JD

Lathe would not distract too much:eek: Yep I see what you mean but you still got more patients then me. I might not go got to test it out under warranty. I learnt that when my twins were babies. My husband bought me this flash stereo. I was too busy to use it and when they were older I went ot use it found out half the damn thing did not go and it ran out of warranty. Won't get caught again.:o :D
Toni

Toasty
4th November 2006, 09:22 AM
My profuse apologies folks. I've had a terrible month including stuffing some other pens, so I cracked the sh!ts and haven't looked at the lathe in weeks.

Fireman sam
5th November 2006, 08:41 PM
Hi all
here is my pens :) :eek:
Andrew

DJ’s Timber
5th November 2006, 09:28 PM
They look good Andrew