PDA

View Full Version : About bloody time too!!

Wild Dingo
18th October 2006, 10:37 PM
FINALLY!!! yes finally I think Ive cracked this damned bowl turnin gig yous mob got me started on! :cool:

After numerous bursts at it with simmeringly fantastic results like huge BLAM BANG CRACK BOOM sounds revibrating around the shed... and numerous attempts at posting questions and recieving blindingly obvious responses from the legends of the forum and still not gettin it! :rolleyes:

And havin decided not to bother havin another burl until Id been to the Bunbury woodturner group to see what Id been doin wrong... then loosin me damned spur drive and being left with a spur drive with a sodding great round washer whizzy thing on it which didnt allow room for anything let alone a chisel getting down there between the wood and spur drive... Id almost given up

But then today... well today... was a bloody great day in the shed... not only did I get a few bitts and bobs done for a future boat build :cool: I found that a peice of Plum turns just sooooooooooooooooooo beautifully that I made myself a carvers mallet with the stuff... took it in to show her highness and it was promptly confiscated for some purpose only known to her ownself... so I marched straight back out and stood there glarin and snarling at the damned lathe then thought aaaahhh stuffit all!! so I grabbed a bough with a nice 8 or so inch round and took it to the bandsaw a few seconds later Im standin there holding several chunks and nodding to meself

So... I thought how did they say to do this? ooh right turn a small tenon on one end right... so I did that then I turned the outside... mmmmm not too bad

Finally I got the outside done with shellawax and EEE and took it out of the between centres mode and put it to the supanova chuck... mmm perfect! :cool: so back to the lathe... got the drill and sent a hole down the centre thought this might help somehow (and it did actually) and so turn turn turn... and whalla!!! done!

It stands 6in high the inside has a 4in depth and its about 4in diameter :cool: roughly
The mallet is 14in high and the head is 3in diameter at the end the handle is 1in diameter

I love Plum timber its drop dead gorgeous! :cool:

Lukas couldnt resist it when he noticed I was takin pics and he wasnt in them so over he trotted and "WOW! POPPY FOR ME???" ;)

ooooooooooh shyte AM I GOOD OR WHAT!!! :D I can see MANY MANY bowls in my future ;) if I remember to turn the sodding light on in the cave that is... man its hard to see without light down the hole isnt it? Shoulda known that bein an underground miner eh :o

lubbing5cherubs
18th October 2006, 10:40 PM
that bubby is just gorgeous. Showing those kind of thing will get this mum clucky again. He makes and added bonus with your great turning. I think you did goo too. NICE Wood.
Toni

chrisb691
18th October 2006, 10:51 PM
G'day Dingo,

That's a dammed nice looking bit of wood, and I reckon you did a nice job of turning too. Well done!! :)

According to your sizes, you've got a 2" thick bottom on it. Is that going to cause some problems down the track? eg checking(?) on the base.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
18th October 2006, 10:55 PM
FINALLY!!! yes finally I think Ive cracked this damned bowl turnin gig yous mob got me started on! :cool:

Onya mate! I knew you'd get it eventually. :)

You're right about the plum, it looks gorgeous.

Captain Chaos
18th October 2006, 11:06 PM
Onya Shane, 'bout bloody time mate!;):D Well done & the wood looks great. Don't stop, just keep bungin' the wood in the lathe and trying different things. Sometimes you'll win, sometimes you'll lose, & sometimes you'll scare the living bejeezus out of yourself, but you will be getting betterer & betterer.
Looks like we've lost the piccy page now.:D
Greenie launched.
Barry.

Terry B
18th October 2006, 11:48 PM
You have done very well. I note you have turned the bowl into the endgrain.This is probably the hardest way of doing it. Next time try a bit of wood with the grain going across the bowl and it will be even easier.
Best wishes

Wild Dingo
19th October 2006, 02:12 AM
You have done very well. I note you have turned the bowl into the endgrain.This is probably the hardest way of doing it. Next time try a bit of wood with the grain going across the bowl and it will be even easier.
Best wishes

YOU WHAT??? :eek: You mean I was doin it the hard way? strewth I just thought it was the easy way sorta almost straight up spindle turnin albeit with the inside done usin the nova but still shootin straight down the barrel... you mean theres an EASIER WAY?? why the bloody blue blazes didnt anyone tell me?? eh? :rolleyes: :p

Chris mate Ive no flamin idea!! The plum we scored from one of the future son in laws fathers farm where it along with a whole mess of other trees from a development had been dumped so Ive no idea how old it is how dry it is or anything else about it other than its bloody beautiful and EASY AS to turn! Had a feeling it would be last year when I made a flute for my younger hippy yippee sis in Broome out of it... simple easy and nice to work then and the same now :cool: Hell it may well split and crack fair in half but do I care? Not a chance mate not a chance cause IT WORKED!! :D

aaahhh yes indeed Toni the first grandhoon the legendary young Lukas ala Buddha ala Boofhead jnr is one to even make this ol phart an father of 8 consider havin the double vasectomy done 12 years ago reversed... NAH!!!! :p ... heres a couple more for your enjoyment! ;)
And for a running commentary and to show that theyre not just a gratuitous poppy pic showin thing its in the shed and with the cart me an his mum made him (note Jarrah cart Camphor Laurel wheels and a turned Durian handle :cool: )

Pic 1... "Hey Grammy we visitin Poppy inada shed eh? are we eh? eh?"
Pic 2... "WHAT???? strewth cant a bloke muck about in sawdust or what?"
Pic 3... "Now maybe if I just burrow down here they wont notice me"
Pic 4... "aaaaggrrrrrrrrr geddoudameway Im comin through!!!
Pic 5... "cool an stay outta da way Grams cause I's tuff!"

Shane

bikerboy
19th October 2006, 02:52 AM
thas not a bowl, thas a bucket,lol..lol....
nar, not really m8,looks good well done,keep at it.

TTIT
19th October 2006, 09:26 AM
Thought you'd never get the finger out Dingo ;) - wasn't such a drama after all was it?! :rolleyes: Good to see you've taken that first hit - now the addiction will really start to bite :). The plum looks great - any idea what type it is???

RufflyRustic
19th October 2006, 09:37 AM
Congrats Shane!!!

Very nice plum bowl and mallet

cheers
Wendy

Bleedin Thumb
19th October 2006, 12:49 PM
Dingo, you do realise that this is the begining of the end! your about to turn into one of those weird turner types, you will slowly loose all your friends because youve bored them to tears and the only types that will speak to you are the types that hang out on internet chat forums...hey wait a second... oh no!:eek: :(

And you know what the missus will probably use that donga for dont you. I'd wear a helmet home if you come home late from the pub.;)

lubbing5cherubs
19th October 2006, 01:32 PM
aaahhh yes indeed Toni the first grandhoon the legendary young Lukas ala Buddha ala Boofhead jnr is one to even make this ol phart an father of 8 consider havin the double vasectomy done 12 years ago reversed... NAH!!!! :p .

Shane is he Gorgeous.. I better you have years of enjoyment ahead of you. 8 children, Wow half your luck. I love more but hubby who was a strict 2 kid man til he met me. so we comprimised we have 5. I now look forward to being a grandma to spoil but they can wait til married before they fill mum dream of more bubs:D I keep teasing hubby to get it reversed but he suffering selective deafness too:confused: :) but I am happy with our family especially since bubby starting to grow up a bit
Toni

rsser
19th October 2006, 05:50 PM
Nice work Wild one.

Yep, plum's a treat to turn. Like butter.

Sounds like you've got the addiction now. It starts with 'doesn't feel right' and ends with 'doesn't feel right not doing it' :D

Wild Dingo
19th October 2006, 06:04 PM
Yep thats what Im feelin :eek: like I went out there this mornin intending on starting a side unit for one of the daughters but found a laminated block of crapiata punkitis sittin all ready courtesy of our little journey and meet with Kemeko ala Kerry so I sorta hummed and haaed for a few tics then thought aaah buggar it!

And out with the cumpas thingy over to the bandysaw a few cuts latter it was almost but not quite round so to the lathe between centres and a few more minutes passed and the edge was round and smooth so I kept going down the bum to make that little tenon thing (cause it works! :cool: thanks whoever told me about it) and then a few more turns stops looks turns and it ended up about right then pull it off the centres and onto the nova take out the main centre and thread on nova... And into it!!! ;)

Ended up... not to shabby :cool: alough its got a few nial holes that show black and gave a bit of drama as I was doin the outside along with a small nick in the lip which Ive since noticing it have fixed by turnin the lip a bit more... but well Im happy Ive decided to leave the small tenon as a "foot"

Ended up 6 1/2in diameter x 3in high x 2 1/2in internal (turned)

Practice practice practice! Never know one day I may even get reasonably good at this caper ;) :p

BernieP
19th October 2006, 07:42 PM
G'Day Shane

Looks like you are enjoying yourself, nice one

Bernie

Bleedin Thumb
19th October 2006, 09:31 PM
Dingo, you are definitely gone now mate. I'll try and find the contact for a good rehab centre but you have to want to change.:p

John Saxton
20th October 2006, 12:07 AM
:D
YOU WHAT??? :eek:

aaahhh yes indeed Toni the first grandhoon the legendary young Lukas ala Buddha ala Boofhead jnr is one to even make this ol phart an father of 8 consider havin the double vasectomy done 12 years ago reversed... NAH!!!! :p ... heres a couple more for your enjoyment! ;)
And for a running commentary and to show that theyre not just a gratuitous poppy pic showin thing its in the shed and with the cart me an his mum made him (note Jarrah cart Camphor Laurel wheels and a turned Durian handle :cool: )

Pic 1... "Hey Grammy we visitin Poppy inada shed eh? are we eh? eh?"
Pic 2... "WHAT???? strewth cant a bloke muck about in sawdust or what?"
Pic 3... "Now maybe if I just burrow down here they wont notice me"
Pic 4... "aaaaggrrrrrrrrr geddoudameway Im comin through!!!
Pic 5... "cool an stay outta da way Grams cause I's tuff!"

Shane

Shane, excuse the pun but he's a chip off the Old Block for wont of a better phrase.Won't be long and he'll be helpin' ya
round the shed:D

Cheers:)

Touchwood
20th October 2006, 12:19 AM
Practice practice practice! Never know one day I may even get reasonably good at this caper

Hey Wild Dingo ... when do the entries for the Brunswick Show close??? Will I see some of your work there?? ;) ;)

JD

TTIT
20th October 2006, 12:38 AM
... intending on starting a side unit for one of the daughters but found a laminated block of crapiata punkitis ....... then thought aaah buggar it!
Yep - you got it! - and antibiotics won't cure it either!:eek:;):D

Wild Dingo
20th October 2006, 12:48 AM
Dont know JD will have to ask her highness... there may be a bit of a hiccup with me entering anything since shes under the impression that the creator has to register the item and I wont be around when its on she can pick it up but I apparently would have to register it :rolleyes:

Anyways... as far as Im aware at present
Her highness is putting in her mariners compass quilt
Joshy is putting in his tray and a quilted pillow
And Im putting in the quilters fat quaters case... if I can ;) if not tuff titties! :D

Anyways!!... Buddah took to the bowl with absofriggin delight see pics below

I went out again to theoretically start making a couple of chrissy pressys for the twins a mantle clock for one and a half moon hall table for the other... she wanted a china cabinet but Im makin her a half moon hall table... get over it! :p

Anyway while I was there look what turned up on the lathe!!! :eek: Amazing stuff this Plum just seems to jump up on the bandsaw cut itself then toss itself onto the lathe and turns itself into something utterly stunning!! :D great stuff I reckon!

Looks a tad different side on eh? every other peice Ive done has been done sorta like between centres but this one I did the same as Buddahs Chinamans cap (hey Wongo didnt I say yer were me brother from another mother?? ;) proofs in the puddin so to speak me ol sock! :D )
on the side... so far this peice is a bit of a challenge in that its ending up BLOODY SMALL!! but the outside is done to finish level now when I take it off tomorrow I will just slice the tenon end off a tad to level it a bit so it doesnt end up wonkey in the nova and then turn the inside out :cool: And so with those thoughts and due to the fading light in the cave I gave up and came inside

Now another thought has occured to me... I think I will leave it there between centres for a few tics in the morning and try to get that last bit smoothed out a tad rounder... the try to take the end in at the nova end about 1/8th or and cut it in so theres about 1/4in left on that end when I cut it away from the little bowl... Im thinking this should give me a bit of a lid eh? If I leave about 1/4in in length that is 1/8th in less in girth than the actual top of the bowl should leave a bit of a lippy for a lid?

I was thinking maybe another thread but Im starting to whack them out at a bit of a pace and dont want to flood the forum with these things... so for now will run them one after another here eh? unless theres something speccy that turns up eh?... mmm like some stunning Mulberry? ;) we will see what we can do about that tomorrow eh! :cool:

Anyways!!! here we go...

1 & 2... Lukas ala "Buddah" pretending to be "son of Wongo the drongo" :D
3... ona da lathe just havin been given a sparkle with shellawax an eee
4... to show just how small Ive ended up going... dont know if Im bein brave or just plain bloody stupid goin this small for the 2nd one done this way but hey what the hell eh?!! :D the bowl will end up about 1 3/4in high and about an 1 1/2in wide in the mid section maybe a tad more but not a lot... didnt measure it cause I wouldnt have done it if I did :rolleyes:
5... close up on the lathe... If this stuff is stunning done between centres its FRIGGIN AMAFLAMINZING done this way!! gawd look at that color an grain :eek: beautiful :cool:

In that last one you can see that I need to slice of about an 1/8th either end a tad more at the motor end which if you can see it you will see what Im thinking of doing to make the lid... under that outter bit thats bark an stuff its about an inch or so larger than the bowl itself so plenty of room to take some away between that and the top of the bowl I reckon I can slice in about 1/8th and into the bowl side about 1/4in to give me some bite for a lid stopper... well thats what Im thinkin will see tomorrow if it works or not ;)

wheelinround
13th October 2007, 08:10 PM
:C 30 foot Plum tree and its gonna be fire wood

Turns like butter you say

I did a search for Plum and found a couple of threads all beaut work by an leaner :o Dingo

:2tsup:

Harry72
13th October 2007, 08:14 PM
Gett'in the hang of it mate, good onya!

wheelinround
13th October 2007, 08:23 PM
Gett'in the hang of it mate, good onya!

hang of what ???

Crying after wasted wood done that for years ever since I saw my dad turn an old desk into a masterpiece and the same week people making Guyfaulks bond fires in the UK.

searching done that before to quite often come up with dribble

Praising someones work always

weisyboy
13th October 2007, 08:49 PM
you do realise this tread is 12 months old:?

wheelinround
14th October 2007, 07:18 AM
you do realise this tread is 12 months old:?

If your asking me yes

Wild Dingo
14th October 2007, 03:17 PM
mmmm bit of a worry wheelin ol son... whatcha wanna drag up this ol thread for?

havent done much turnin since that flurry of activity... a few pens a few bowls a few this and that but not a lot :no:

I did enter a few things in the Brunswick show last year... and surprisingly won! :2tsup: wont be entering anything this year as its snuck up on me and now Ive got nothin to throw into the ring... maybe next year? :;

I wouldnt have a clue what sorta plum that was/is it was some I salvaged from son in laws fathers farm... they had put it on the market and after it was sold had a whole mess of stuff dumped there by the new owners... so we went wandering around the back 100 acre block and came up with a huge pile of tree trunks... fruit trees jarrah wandoo just about any sort of tree... been ripped out from somewhere and dumped at the back of the block... so we grabbed what we could threw them in the trailer and back of the F100 and bought it back here... all I know is that that is plum of some sort theres definantly some mulberry out there but beyond that who knows!! Who cares!! Its wood its made its way here to my place so its mine!! :2tsup: Actually seriously I dont mind not knowing what timber is what out there... bit of a hit and miss with what you end up with but thats good!

Im slowly starting to figure out some of the logs names down the back... no not the bloody latin gobbledegook names just the common ones.

Anyways there you go!! :2tsup:

wheelinround
14th October 2007, 06:47 PM
mmmm bit of a worry wheelin ol son... whatcha wanna drag up this ol thread for?

havent done much turnin since that flurry of activity... a few pens a few bowls a few this and that but not a lot :no:

I did enter a few things in the Brunswick show last year... and surprisingly won! :2tsup: wont be entering anything this year as its snuck up on me and now Ive got nothin to throw into the ring... maybe next year? :;

I wouldnt have a clue what sorta plum that was/is it was some I salvaged from son in laws fathers farm... they had put it on the market and after it was sold had a whole mess of stuff dumped there by the new owners... so we went wandering around the back 100 acre block and came up with a huge pile of tree trunks... fruit trees jarrah wandoo just about any sort of tree... been ripped out from somewhere and dumped at the back of the block... so we grabbed what we could threw them in the trailer and back of the F100 and bought it back here... all I know is that that is plum of some sort theres definantly some mulberry out there but beyond that who knows!! Who cares!! Its wood its made its way here to my place so its mine!! :2tsup: Actually seriously I dont mind not knowing what timber is what out there... bit of a hit and miss with what you end up with but thats good!

Im slowly starting to figure out some of the logs names down the back... no not the bloody latin gobbledegook names just the common ones.

Anyways there you go!! :2tsup:

I was doing what many forum memebrs of old are telling newbies to do Search.
Mind you if you type in one thing you get nothing if you ype in something else for the same thing you end up with :rolleyes: I think it was 16 pages worth of finds.

So you wont be the only one Dingo other members if they are still around are going to have stuff brought back from the depths I guess.

One good thing about the Wiki's I suppose.

rodent
19th October 2007, 02:49 AM
Hey dingo try apricot or apple lovely stuff to work with but a bugger for cracks .PS nice work , now you've done it bowls for christmas any one .:2tsup: