PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking books

DaveInOz
2nd April 2003, 12:14 PM
What are the most useful books you have used?

If not listed add them at the bottom.

John Saxton
2nd April 2003, 12:49 PM
Encyclopedia of Furniture...Ernest Joyce
Woodworking in Theory and Practice....J.A.Walton
Woodturning.....Pracht
Router Jigs & Techniques......Patrick Spielman

I could go on as there are too many books and videos to mention on my shelves and time is prohibitive.

Cheers:)

Wayne Davy
2nd April 2003, 02:25 PM
200 Original Shop Aids & Jigs by Rosario Capotosto

DaveInOz
2nd April 2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by doorstop
Good try Dave but I don't think you can have such a short list, there are so many great woodworking books out there. I guess because there are so many different branches (pun intended) of woodworking.

Very true.
I'm trying to see if there is one (or a couple of) book/s that are in most peoples list of most useful. The ones I've listed are ones that have been recently mentioned in posts and have had a few people agree.

Wayne Davy
2nd April 2003, 06:16 PM
.... while in the small reading room with the funny seat.

AlexS
2nd April 2003, 06:31 PM
Encyclopedia of Furniture Making - Ernest Joyce

Eastie
3rd April 2003, 03:35 PM
Easily A Polisher Handbook :)

Books full of joints should be rolled up and smoked :D

Dean
3rd April 2003, 04:54 PM
How about a polished handbook...

Now that I think of it, has anyone ever tried to make a book with wooden covers?

Might be interesting :)

mikmaz1
3rd April 2003, 11:18 PM
hi all, (to dave in oz, go the doggies!!!!)
krenov for me out of them choices, but the book im into at the mo is router magic by bill hylton.
seeyasoon mik.

chrisjon65
4th April 2003, 08:00 PM
PO SHUN LEONG art boxes
is what i see as a master woodyand my personal insperation
:D

gatiep
29th February 2004, 02:10 PM
Probably the most read 'woodworking book' in Oz is the Suppliers catalog like for instance the Carbatec, and others. Most woodies have one and if you read thru them carefully, you'll find a heap of info

Dean

Books with wooden covers have been done, even China has produced photo albums with wooden covers .

Cya
Joe

Barry_White
29th February 2004, 04:44 PM
The only trouble with a poll like this is most people will vote for the one that they are using perhaps without knowing what the others are like. I voted for the Time Life Custom Woodworking simply because I am subscribing to them.

Although they are in imperial measurments I find that they cover a huge range of woodworking projects including some very good jigs and homade workshop tools.

The only problem is that most woodworking books cost the earth and most can only subscribe to one any way.

Barry_White
29th February 2004, 04:53 PM
By the way there are two polls running at the moment on the same thing.

TOO MANY POLLS

Rocker
29th February 2004, 05:55 PM
I chose "other", since I picked up what knowledge I have from multiple sources, often magazine articles, rather than by working systematically through an encyclopedic woodworking tome. I have tended to learn by the trial and error method of attempting gradually more and more ambitious furniture projects.

However, I would mention a book and two series that I have found very informative. The book is "Cabinetry", edited by R. A. Yoder, which has plans and instructions for building 31 furniture projects, and includes a useful chapter on specialized techniques. It costs US$21 from Amazon.

The series are "The Workshop Companion" series, about 25 books on different aspects of woodworking, all by Nick Engler, and the "Best of Fine Woodworking" series, which reprints articles on related topics from the magazine.

If I were starting woodworking afresh, I would probably go with the three books in the Taunton series, all by highly respected authors.

Rocker

macca2
29th February 2004, 06:21 PM
Other, because the one I am currently reading is the "best".

Tomorrow or next week will see another "best book"

Cheers
Macca

DaveInOz
1st March 2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Barry_White
By the way there are two polls running at the moment on the same thing.

TOO MANY POLLS

the other poll was started as this one was too general, the other poll specifies furniture and cabinet making books only.

DanP
8th March 2004, 02:33 PM
If you don't like the polls, don't open them. Simple. The polishers bible for me thanks.

Dan

Wood Borer
10th March 2004, 08:36 AM
Encyclopedia of Furniture Making - Ernest Joyce

Polishers Handbook

Keith Bootle's book on Australian trees

- Wood Borer

Wood Borer
17th March 2004, 08:21 AM
The handplane book by Garrett Hack is also an excellent book for Neanderthals like myself. Bought it on the weekend and it is full of information and history about hand planes.

- Wood Borer

Gumby
17th March 2004, 08:57 AM
The Complete Illustrated Guide to Joinery - Greg Rogowski

and of course, The Polisher's Handbook.

Both fabulous books.

Grue
17th March 2004, 01:40 PM
Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual see the book review on http://www.woodcentral.com/books/jackson_day_manual.shtml

Woodcentral has a large list of book reviews on woodwork at http://www.woodcentral.com/books/books.shtml

Glenn

Don K
1st April 2004, 04:31 PM
I've got a copy of the first "Polishers Handbook" from 1991 all 40 pages of it. I also have a copy of the latest edition over 200 pages. I would class it as the best most useful book I have ever owned, along with an old and very used copy of "The Practical Mans Book Of Things To Make And Do" published by the Sun News Pictorial some time in the 1940's. This one has helped me with everything from making furniture for my home to setting up my workshop.

My vote is for Polishers Handbook, making 25 but it looks like there are others who didn't vote for it who would have if it had been included initially. I reckon the count should be 28 and well deserved.