PDA

View Full Version : Some advice please

Michael_Bike
19th October 2006, 08:41 PM
Hi All,
I have aquired (been gifted, really) a Leda mini lathe, 200mm grinder and set of chisels, all basically brand new, from a deceased estate. I have lurked around this forum reading the posts and really want an opinion/advice on my next step.
I want to learn how to use the lathe BUT am not at all sure what else I need!!?!!
I may be able to attend the Melbourne wood show on the coming weekend - so any suggestions about what needs to be purchased is a possibility.
I'm the complete beginner in this area BUT have constructed high performance sports kites in the past.
Thanks
Michael

John Saxton
19th October 2006, 08:51 PM
G'day mate welcome to the BB hope you have lots of happy moments picking up tips as well as giving them.

Enjoy the lathe and all it offers...they can be a heap of satisfaction once the various cuts with tools are mastered.

Cheers:)

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th October 2006, 09:46 PM
You haven't said, but you should have an AlOxide wheel on the grinder... they're the white ones. I'll assume you have a faceplate, drive-spur and centre for the tailstock, they're included with a new Leda and probably carried over to you. I'll also assume you have a general set of tools including bowl & spindle gouges, parting tools, scrapers, a skew or two, etc.

If you're interested in pens, then you'll need a pen mandrel and a mill. 7mm is the basic starter kit for Slimline pens Oh... and a 7mm centre-point drillbit for drilling the blanks, so you'll also need either a drill-press or a jacob's chuck to fit the lathe. Then you'd need some kits... a good dozen or so, 'cos one just ain't enough :D and some timber blanks to put on 'em.

A bandsaw is a very, very, very handy tool to have... if you don't already have one, give serious thought towards buying one! ;)

You'll need a range of finishes, UBeaut's EEE, Shellawax & ####hot WaxStik along with some Sanding Sealer and a tin of Rustin's Danish Oil makes for a good all-purpose base to start from. A range of sandpapers, 180, 240, 320 & 400 at the very least; IMHO you won't get better than Hermes JFlex.

That's the basic requirements, beyond safety items such as safety-glasses, face-shield, dusk masks or respirators. Oh... and good lighting is always good to have.

The next step "upwards" is a chuck... I'd recommend a SuperNova II or good Vicmarc. From there, you can start buying various jaws; pin-jaws & powergrips or shark-tooths make the chuck very versatile, cole-jaws or vacuum jaws can come in handy, too.

If you have all the above, then don't worry about buying more toys... just get stuck into it and you'll soon find out where your interests lie and what future accesories to start dreaming about. ;)

ian
19th October 2006, 10:04 PM
SAFETY GEAR
get a face shield

BUY A BOOK on turning for beginners I don't know which is the "best" but there's Turning Wood with Richard Raffan, revised [Taunton Press] by you guessed it Richard Raftan

THEN start making lace bobbins
once you can turn these little blighters everything else will be

ian

madmix
19th October 2006, 10:47 PM
Hi there Michael, that must be longhand for Mick,

Just whack a bit of wood in it, turn it on and go for it.
Just making wood chips can be fun.
Then Buy a bandsaw and turn some wood into lovely sawdust,
makes the shed smell pretty.
Next just keep buying more tools and accesories and repeating
step two, until there is no more room in the shed.
Then buy a bigger shed and repeat step three.

Cheers Mick