PDA

View Full Version : timber for turned posts

robert bratjanscak
29th December 2002, 02:40 PM
hello i,m rob and new to club , i wanted to know where and what timber grades should i use for my external turned posts i have mainly turned furniture components now i must know what to buy probably in bulk is it better finger jointed because i want the costomer to get the best thats how i am .since i am only starting maybe some one might know someone selling this type of buisiness would you let me know . thank you very much from rob.

------------------

WAYNE
3rd May 2004, 01:42 PM
I have found Alaskan Yellow Cedar to be suitable for turning posts , it is sold as durability "class one " , it is beautiful to turn , except for the occasional knot . I dont know where to get it as the yard i bought it from has now closed , but i'm shore it will be available elsewhere, it was being imported in 100 x 100 or 150 x 50 sections . I wouldn't reccomend laminated timber as eventually the glue will break down , and the joins open up .

RETIRED
3rd May 2004, 09:12 PM
gooday and welcome to the board.

We have been turning and using laminated clear pine ( from NZ) verandah posts for close on 25 years ( got them on our own house) and there is no break down of any joints in any of them.