PDA

View Full Version : Jig for mortice and tenon joints

jow104
7th April 2003, 01:17 AM
Can anybody please give me a link to a site for plans to make the above jigs.

John Saxton
7th April 2003, 07:50 PM
John, not exactly what you asked for but if you can get a hold of from your local library or woodworking shop who may hire them out then get a hold of "Router Jigs & Gadgets"by Roy Sutton or "Router Jigging" by Jeremy Broun (for TREND router technology)both guys your English compatriots so the videos should be readily accessible,
HTH
Cheers:)

mikmaz1
8th April 2003, 01:09 AM
gday woody,
same as johns reply but try also bill hyltons book router magic!
a hand held sub base morticer i use sometimes is made by attaching a base of mdf ,ply what ever scrap you have, approx 250mm*250mm bore a center hole & screw holes to attach to your router.
rout 2 through slots along opposite edges wide enough that you can pass through the cup head screws ,now join these slots up with 2 straight lengths(250mm) of h/wood at 90* to the slots with the cup screws with washers & thumb screws.(underneath)
now if you understand all that , practice on some scrap to get your mortice central by moving the h/wood in or out fractionally against each edge of scrap wood . it helps to scribe a centre line on your piece of scrap.
i wish my camera was working then i could take a pic & it would then be self explanitory?
hope you understand.
seeyasoon mik.

Sandy Johnston
17th April 2003, 11:20 AM
I cam across this link which may help - sonewhere on the site is a set of pdf plans - I downloaded for free - but have not built .

www.quicktenon.com/index.htm

Regards
Sandy across the ditch

:)

Template Tom
17th April 2003, 09:10 PM
Woody

Have you considered using 'Floating Tenons'? The tenons are always turn out the same size and fit neatly into the mortice.
A Mortice is cut with the router not only in the stile of the frame but also the the rail. The jig is quite simple to make.

jow104
18th April 2003, 04:35 AM
sounds very similar to a dowel joint but flat pieces instead.

Very interesting, I shall give it a run.