PDA

View Full Version : Quick play this arvo

Farnk
22nd October 2006, 10:15 PM
Hi everyone,
Had a quick play with my purchases from the WWW show.
Mainly wanted to try out the 3" forstner-type bit, so I bung on a bit of camphor laurel. Here's the result. Not spectacular as a piece, but shmbo loved it and the whole shed smells like an old lady's spencer drawer!:D

Hollowing out the thing was so damed easy compared with similar pieces I've done in the past.

The interesting thing I found was that the timber didn't want to take a wax finish, especially the end grain. Neil warned me at the WWW show that it was a bugger of a timber like that.

f

TTIT
23rd October 2006, 12:55 AM
Looks orright Farnk.:) If you used the 3" bit for your pilot hole, how big is the box? Just looks smaller in the pic :o .
I use Danish oil on Camphor purely because (IMHO) it has the right sheen for Camphor's grain and color but I did use Shellawax one one piece and it stuck OK.

Farnk
23rd October 2006, 08:21 AM
Danish Oil! I'll give it a go on the next bit!

The hole was basically from the 3 inch bit, with a quick pass of the gouge to get the wall thickness down a couple of mm.

Though I think for the next bit I'll wear something long sleeved. The shavings brought my forearms out in a rash.

Gil Jones
23rd October 2006, 08:31 AM
Very nice lidded box, well done!!!
I love that Camphor smell.

hughie
23rd October 2006, 02:37 PM
The interesting thing I found was that the timber didn't want to take a wax finish, especially the end grain. Neil warned me at the WWW show that it was a bugger of a timber like that.

I like your lidded pot, thumbs up! I find the CL needs to be really dry to get it to take OK. Oiling is they way I go with it most of the time now, 2-3 coats of Organoil and let it dry