PDA

View Full Version : routing freehand

jow104
7th April 2003, 04:21 AM
i WENT OUT TO MY WORK SHOP AND FITTED UP MY TRITON router with the base plate assembly (for the first time)
After studying the small Triton manual suppledd with the router I noticed the instructions on the direction of travel.
I am under the impression that my workvice is not fitted to the best end of my bench (it is fitted left hand end)

Reference to the trition manual again pages 6 & 7 figures 19 & 23 they seem to be in contradiction as regard direction of travel.

When I thought about fitting the 1/2" straight cutter to my router and rebating an edge. I SAID TO MYSELF "WHY"
I would rather do this cut on the triton router table. I considered other cutting operations and each time I felt happier using the table setup.

I have come to the conclusion that most set ups would be better on the table anyway and only a Tenon joint end comes to mind with a jig that would be worth a free hand performance.

I would admit to a lack of experience and perhaps some memberw would give me there ad vice on when hand held operation would be the only way to proceed

Helix
7th April 2003, 08:54 AM
The pictures in figure 19 and 23 are correct. Both show the router bit on the right hand side of the work piece, pushing the router away from the user.

Josh

John Saxton
7th April 2003, 02:54 PM
John,admittedly the table mounted router is capable of producing a vast array of necessary cuts in your woodwork applications but there are also a multitude of uses for a router in hand held operations.

Namely with jigs such as the Leigh which I use from time to time also lettering cuts, rebates as you have mentioned,inlay routing,router lathe applications and carving and decorative figuring.
Tom O'Donnell is well known here in Australia for his expertise and is quoted as saying most routers are only likely to be employed to about half the capability that they truly represent.

For your own needs with your router you may not need to venture down the freehand path it does however open up a new exciting and creative aspect to the machines ability.
As has been said read anything and everything you can get your hands on about routers and you will see the possibilities.
Cheers:)