PDA

View Full Version : burls

hughie
23rd October 2006, 02:30 PM
Here we go some burls to drool over...kinda makes my 14" chain saw in effective :D

http://www.xmission.com/~burlturn/Whyitcost/whyitcost.htm

Mr Unknown
24th October 2006, 04:35 PM
wow, some big suckers there.

Joash
24th October 2006, 04:45 PM
shame..shame, sending those burls off to America:D

Skewpid
24th October 2006, 08:12 PM
Those are just incredible ... what can I say:eek:

rsser
25th October 2006, 05:20 PM
Oh my.

I want the burl on the flatbed truck for Xmas. Might just fit on the Stubby. What's Santa's address?????

Cliff Rogers
25th October 2006, 09:08 PM
Pass.... My chiropractor already makes enough money.:rolleyes:

Who, in their right mind, would post a boast page showing off their rego plate while nicking burls in the bush?:cool:

Groggy
25th October 2006, 09:15 PM
Who, in their right mind, would post a boast page showing off their rego plate while nicking burls in the bush?:cool:Kind of contra-indicated isn't it?

Tell me though, I thought cutting the burls off could kill the tree. How do you know it doesn't harm them?

Cliff Rogers
25th October 2006, 09:59 PM
... I thought cutting the burls off could kill the tree. How do you know it doesn't harm them?
Bit like Ford v Holden.....
It is fairly hard to kill some gum trees, even cutting them off at ground level doesn't work.
The theory against say that it lets infection in but, lots of gum trees live for years with dead branches that are hollowed out with possums & birds living in them.

Groggy
25th October 2006, 11:13 PM
It is fairly hard to kill some gum trees, even cutting them off at ground level doesn't work.
The theory against say that it lets infection in but, lots of gum trees live for years with dead branches that are hollowed out with possums & birds living in them.Thanks Cliff, I learned something. I never really questioned what I'd heard before.

Baz
26th October 2006, 05:39 PM
Kind of contra-indicated isn't it?

Tell me though, I thought cutting the burls off could kill the tree. How do you know it doesn't harm them?

Groggy, Ive seen heaps of trees that have had burls cut off them and they are still thriving, lots seem to get new brabches coing from the cut area.
Cheers
Barry

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 07:36 PM
wow. wouldn't mind having them.

Joash
26th October 2006, 07:38 PM
That seriously has given dad and I some ideas. Our chainsaws is bigger than his, and those goldfield burls looked good.

No they seriously have got us thinking!!

Groggy
26th October 2006, 08:17 PM
Joash, check with the forest elves (Rangers) before going at it. That way you may get to keep your vehicle and chainsaws. Dunno what the laws are over there but I don't recommend anyone going for it without approval on crown land.

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2006, 08:17 PM
That seriously has given dad and I some ideas. Our chainsaws is bigger than his, and those goldfield burls looked good.

No they seriously have got us thinking!!

Hi Joash,

If you are thinking of collecting burls,I would be checking out any regulations for your state, as most states require you to be licensed to collect burls

rsser
26th October 2006, 08:27 PM
Pretty sure you have to have a license to harvest burls Joash.

Joash
26th October 2006, 09:15 PM
Oh yeah of cvourse, and with fees etc: Of course we'll do it the legal way, It'll be quit profitable as well.

Anyway, special prices for forumites who agree:D:D:p

tashammer
26th October 2006, 10:06 PM
The theory against say that it lets infection in but, lots of gum trees live for years with dead branches that are hollowed out with possums & birds living in them.

If you have ever seen them harvesting the eucalypt for the eucalytus oil, all the trees are coppiced and have formed burls; they are the trees way of fighting off infection and/or other invaders. Have you noticed how some gum trees quickly start sprouting again after a bush fire? They have shoots under the bark called lignotubers. Other species don't have the lignotubers and are just killed in fires.

maddog 62
26th October 2006, 10:54 PM
they do look nice, can think of a hundred different uses for them.
but i do have one question ( might be a dumb one at that)
after they have cut them off do they paint/treat them with anything so they dont start splitting as they dry out ( im refering to the burls)
just so happen i might know of were i can get hold of one or two ;)