PDA

View Full Version : barley twist lathes

robert bratjanscak
29th December 2002, 02:18 PM
hello my name is rob, i am trying to start a fretwork buisiness, it,s more federation including turned posts arches internal / external ect,would any body know where i could buy a good solid barley or router lathe that can turn up to 2.7 mtrs and any advice on my nearly started buisiness patterns ect thank you for your time woodies

------------------

Dennis Hill
30th December 2002, 06:55 AM
Rob,2.7m is a fair size lump of a machine. You may have to copy the design of one of the smaller hobby style machines (saw an ad for a "Trend" routerlathe from england that looked ok)and then make it about 3 times longer. I assume that you only want to turn a 4x4 or 5x5 inch post so length rather than width is going to be your major problem. You may also find some plans out there on the 'net.
Good luck, and a Happy New Year.
Dennis.

Iain
30th December 2002, 09:20 AM
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/woodstuf.htm
Don't know where he got it from or whatever but I am sure he will rspond.
A touch bigger than 2.7 metres.

ptc
30th December 2002, 03:38 PM
Rob.
check out symtec [spiral turning and bed extension]extension bed 1760 mm long
regards.
ptc

------------------
p.t.c

robert bratjanscak
30th December 2002, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Hill:
Rob,2.7m is a fair size lump of a machine. You may have to copy the design of one of the smaller hobby style machines (saw an ad for a "Trend" routerlathe from england that looked ok)and then make it about 3 times longer. I assume that you only want to turn a 4x4 or 5x5 inch post so length rather than width is going to be your major problem. You may also find some plans out there on the 'net.
Good luck, and a Happy New Year.
Dennis.thanks dennis for your time hear from you later rob

RETIRED
30th December 2002, 07:23 PM
Gooday.

To buy a dedicated barley twist lathe of the size you want to do verandah posts will cost a fortune.

I made one about 10 years ago (cost about $5000) and sold it after 4 years because clients did not like to spend the extra money for barley twist, nearly 3 times the price of a normal post by the time you set it up and finish by hand.

As for patterns check out most catalogues and dare I say it, Bunnings. Also check out their prices as this is who you will be competing against.

Good luck.

------------------
Ian () Robertson
"We do good turns every day"

robert bratjanscak
31st December 2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by :
Gooday.

To buy a dedicated barley twist lathe of the size you want to do verandah posts will cost a fortune.

I made one about 10 years ago (cost about $5000) and sold it after 4 years because clients did not like to spend the extra money for barley twist, nearly 3 times the price of a normal post by the time you set it up and finish by hand.

As for patterns check out most catalogues and dare I say it, Bunnings. Also check out their prices as this is who you will be competing against.

Good luck.

Thanks i am willing tospend some money it does take along time to twist but i want to try some production turning twisting i will keep the prices reasonable on my work . do you know someone that could make me a good viarable speed barley twist lathe i am very keen to buy thanks for your time , and have ahappy new year.

Dennis Hill
1st January 2003, 01:36 PM
Rob, I have an idea for building a lathe for barley-twists etc that should not need a visit to the bank on a Friday afternoon wearing a balaclava and also equipped with a suitable tool of intimidation.
This is based on a design from an english mag (which is here "somewhere") so if you want to proceed further I shal put pencil to paper and encourage the remaining brain cells to become active.
Hope you had a Happy new year,
Dennis.

Dennis Hill
1st January 2003, 04:29 PM
Back again Rob.
The animal is called a Pro-Am lathe,
The article was in Practical Woodworking, Jan 2002, Page74.
To see more you may like to try
< http://www.proamlathe2000.info >
You will need to do the "cut and paste thing" as I have no idea how you make things a link!
I would do things a little diferently to this but as he has got the bugs out of the design you mau like to investigate more.
In the print article a price of 1600 English Pounds was mentioned, but this included a router and cutter.
1600x3 = $4800 but that includes bits you may already have.
Good luck,
Dennis.

Dennis Hill
2nd January 2003, 06:21 AM
Clever machine makes link active! pity link does not work! Try this one... http://www.pro-amlathe2000.fsbusiness.co.uk
and see what happens.

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 02 January 2003).]

Dennis Hill
2nd January 2003, 02:37 PM
Thanks Mr Ubeaut!
Now, why couldn't I do that?
Hilly.

robert bratjanscak
2nd January 2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by Dennis Hill:
Clever machine makes link active! pity link does not work! Try this one... http://www.pro-amlathe2000.fsbusiness.co.uk
and see what happens.

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 02 January 2003).]Thanks Dennis it looks allright i will email them soon thanks again .

ubeaut
3rd January 2003, 10:57 PM
G'day Robert - There is no need to reply with quote each time. Just hit the big Post Reply button at the top or bottom of the page. Saves a lot of reading and space on the site.

Cheers - Neil http://ubb.ubeaut.com.au/ubb/smile.gif