PDA

View Full Version : Platter and bowl with natural edges. Please comment:)

Joash
26th October 2006, 01:06 AM
Ok, been doing some seroious turning in the last few days--12 hours in 3 days, with an even layer of 1 foot of sawdust throughout the shed. I am halfway through some really big bowls, pots, vases, etc: You can't push an MC900 much further when turning these guys:D

Anyway, Made these about a month and a half ago. Both Marri.

First one here is a wane-edged bowl. Marri does'nt retain its bark properly, so I had to knock it off. Hand-sanded the edge, and then sanded the bowl to 2500g, and then finished off with a shellawax polish. Dimensions 170mm side by 190mm high.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/P9130003-1Small.jpg

Second one. Natural edge Marri burl. Nice cutters on the edge:D Finished to 2000g. Did'nt come up as nice as what I would have liked, becuase it caught my hand twice, and then it was way to hard to try and get it smooth, and give it a high shine.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/P9130006Small.jpg

Anyway, Comments welcome, I know they'll all be sooo nice, but please try and think of something negative--hard as it may be:p :D

Regards........Joash:)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2006, 01:41 AM
G'day Joash

They both look stunning.

You really can't expect people to say which one is better as they are both good on their different merits;) :cool:

The only thing that I can really pick you on is the leading edges when you are sanding that has been slightly rounded over, wher'is the trailing edge is still flat. I normally sand natural edges with the lathe stopped so that you don't sand them rounded if that makes sense:confused:

Joash
26th October 2006, 01:43 AM
yeah, it makes sense, I saned with the lathe stopped. Thanks for the comments,

Joash

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 04:04 PM
they both look great, but i like the bowl better. the platter must have been hard to do. still got all your fingers?

lubbing5cherubs
26th October 2006, 04:39 PM
I like the bowl. I like the straight cuts for me just personal preference. Nothing to do with your turning
Toni

Joash
26th October 2006, 04:40 PM
they both look great, but i like the bowl better. the platter must have been hard to do. still got all your fingers?
Lets see, 1..2..3..4..5..6..7..8..9..10, yep still there:D

tashammer
26th October 2006, 05:06 PM
10 fingers? and 2 thumbs? hmmm. you from Tas then? i like the second one. For my taste the sides look too thick on the first (if i was turning it, they would be too thin, but that's cos i am a chicken , not that i have ever noticed chickens bowl turning - visions of chook being fwapped around headstock).

Slow6
26th October 2006, 06:46 PM
visions of chook being fwapped around headstock).

hahaha.. thats gold.

Joash
26th October 2006, 07:07 PM
They both look much better in real life, not that the photography was as bad as usual.:o

Thay will be going into FORM (http://www.form.net.au/public.html) next week--One of Perth's most up-market galleries,--except King's Park, and The airport.

Thanks for the comments,

Joash (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=39636)

rsser
26th October 2006, 08:32 PM
Good for you Joash. You're a talented turner.

But there's nothing to prove on this forum.

We're a democracy ...

think about it, would you?

Joash
26th October 2006, 08:37 PM
So what do you mean.......?? I don't get it

Terry B
26th October 2006, 09:51 PM
Dear Joash
Sorry I don't get the platter. I assume it is the picture because I can't make out its depth in the image. Maybe modifying the angle that you take the photo will demonstrate it's 3D shape better. Mostly I find these items are best felt in real life.
I was in the gallery in Kings park last week and there was some beautiful stuff in there. I especially liked the stunning glass rectangular platters that would have looked great on my sofa table at home. Shame that they were over $2000 each and I couldn't see a way of getting them back to the east in one piece.
The bowl is great.
I think rsser's comment is just a suggestion to comment on what you do well ie turning and ignore the other banter on the forum as it not in your interest to get hot under the collar about stuff written by some of the older members of the forum.
The forum is relatively annonomous and in reality if we were all in a room together you would find that you don't have much in common with most of the contributors except turning. This is purely a function of age.
I have a son just a bit younger than you and I can't see myself socializing with his mates. I don't think they would be terribly interested in what I had to say either.
The turning is different and I think it is wonderful that we can all relate about a common interest.
Good luck to you Joash:):)

Joash
26th October 2006, 09:57 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments, I currently do not have anything in Kings Park currently, but next saturday, I will be putting in a number of items, you may see them next time you go in.

Did you see that Marri Platter? No spalting, all it had was 3 carved feet underneath, fairly plain, looked like a shellwax creamm finish.........$1500!!:eek:

Terry B
26th October 2006, 10:02 PM
Hi, thanks for the comments, I currently do not have anything in Kings Park currently, but next saturday, I will be putting in a number of items, you may see them next time you go in.

Did you see that Marri Platter? No spalting, all it had was 3 carved feet underneath, fairly plain, looked like a shellwax creamm finish.........$1500!!:eek:
Sadly I think it will be a long time before I go there again. I was in Perth for a conference that was a one off. Maybe in 10 yrs or so:)