PDA

View Full Version : Confused??????????

gazaly
26th October 2006, 11:34 AM
Right... I'm pulling my hair out :eek: .

I have the original Incra jig, metric version. Works beautifully.

I also bought the Projects and Techniques book, which comes with 2 templates to make double double through dovetails and double corner post dovetails.

Went to attack a set of double corner post dovetails, but I'll be buggered if I can work it out! The step by step instructions just do not make sense with the supplied templates.

Anyone who has used this book to make same, can you please help with some further info please?

Cheers.

Stuart
26th October 2006, 12:02 PM
That's because the supplied templates with the book are imperial - you cannot use them with a metric jig. Same thing applies if you buy the set of 52 templates - I converted my jig to imperial only - works better because all the templates are imperial, as are the majority router bits - hard to find a metric dovetail bit.

Contact Grahame and buy a set of imperial rails ($3 each - you will need 4) and swap out the metric rails for the imperial ones.

gazaly
26th October 2006, 01:26 PM
That's because the supplied templates with the book are imperial - you cannot use them with a metric jig. Same thing applies if you buy the set of 52 templates - I converted my jig to imperial only - works better because all the templates are imperial, as are the majority router bits - hard to find a metric dovetail bit.

Contact Grahame and buy a set of imperial rails ($3 each - you will need 4) and swap out the metric rails for the imperial ones.
Thanks Stu, that explains part of my problem.

However, I'm still confussed as to how to perform the joint with the templates concerned. Do you acctually use both templates (one and two) to make the whole double cornerpost joint? I.E start with one to cut the tails and inserts, then two to cut the corner posts?

I gave Gwhat a call, 4 rails, with the imperial incrament graduations all posted for $20. :)

Don't know why I bothered buying the metric version in the first place?

Thanks Stu :)

Gumby
26th October 2006, 03:45 PM
What colour are the metric teeth sets? I'm not sure what i've got here but a test run on dbl dbl box joints worked fine, as did the standard box joints.

The dbl dbls took me bloody ages to work out. There are 2 templates you need to use. If you follow the book instructions exactly, it works.

Stuart
26th October 2006, 04:52 PM
Green. The imperial ones are either blue or black (but both are 1/32")

In the middle of the rail you will either see "32" or "mm" depending on whether you have imperial or metric.

Gumby
26th October 2006, 04:55 PM
Green. The imperial ones are either blue or black (but both are 1/32")

In the middle of the rail you will either see "32" or "mm" depending on whether you have imperial or metric.

They're imperial.

God save he Queen :D

gazaly
26th October 2006, 06:12 PM
What colour are the metric teeth sets? I'm not sure what i've got here but a test run on dbl dbl box joints worked fine, as did the standard box joints.

The dbl dbls took me bloody ages to work out. There are 2 templates you need to use. If you follow the book instructions exactly, it works.
So you do use both templates? Are you working from the Projects and Techniques book? It goes through the proceedure ok, but at no point does it talk about changing templates.

Also, the 2 templates that come with the book, are they DDD1 and DDD2 or what?

gazaly
26th October 2006, 06:45 PM
They're imperial.

God save he Queen :D

Thats a bit harsh on Liz :eek:

Gumby
26th October 2006, 06:48 PM
Thats a bit harsh on Liz :eek:
typo :)

I'm using the template reference guide which came with the set of about 50 templates.

I used the DBLBox #1 and DBLBox#2 templates which are numbered 10 and 11.

Gumby
26th October 2006, 07:51 PM
I just pulled the book out and here's the numbers.

For example, the box side:
A, B, C are on the first template. A is the wider box cut, B is the cut made with the contrasting infill piece and done face down. C is the second box cut made after you have fitted the contrasting piece made with cut B into the wider opening made with cut A.

The box end:
The D, E and F cuts are on the second template and done on the other 2 pieces which form the box end. They are the same process as the A, B and C cuts.

The attachment shows it (sort off roughly) without the B cut which makes the jarrah infill bit. The D cut is the only one i did on the other piece, but you could have done the E and F cuts in it first, to make it a double like the first piece.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

gazaly
26th October 2006, 09:17 PM
Thanks Gumby, thats great. It makes complete sense of what I'm looking at. Once I have the imperial rails, I'm give it a go.

Thanks heaps :)

Gumby
26th October 2006, 09:26 PM
Thanks Gumby, thats great. It makes complete sense of what I'm looking at. Once I have the imperial rails, I'm give it a go.

Thanks heaps :)

Glad you can make sense of it. I've re-read it twice and it's confused the crap outa me. :D

BTW, those templates are for the 3/8 bits. You have to have the right bit size or none of it works.