PDA

View Full Version : Large fruit bowl++Bluegum box

Joash
26th October 2006, 05:39 PM
Hi guys etc:

Been at work again. Cut this off a tree on Saturday. Nice block of Jarrah, with lots of ripples running though it. I was able to get the sanding mark-free finish. Very smooth, I am very happy with it, it is my best so far.

Quite a big piece. 280x90mm high. Sanded to 1000g, and then topped off with shellawax cream.

Sorry if the photos take too long.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA260008.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA260006.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA260005.jpg

Ok, I made this one as well today. Rippled Bluegum box. The finial is Jarrah, and the lid is yet to be identified. Do you think the finial looks better/worse? I jam-chucked the box, and finished off the base, so the grain can run right through.--pictures are self explanatory:) Sanded to 1000g, and then topped with shellawax cream. This one had quite a nice finish as well. This box is out of the same block that the other box was made.--The one that won first prize at the WW show.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA260001.jpg

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA260011.jpg

Does anyone have objections too me making these threads? Are they too many? Too etc:? If so, please specify.

Anyway, criticism accepted,

Joash:)

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2006, 06:01 PM
Very nice Joash. That bluegum looks amazing.
I take it that the jarrah is still green, will be interesting to see what happens to it.

Joash
26th October 2006, 06:58 PM
No, the Jarrah is bone dry. The bluegum is one of my favourite timbers, I have loads of it

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 07:26 PM
mmm. real nice joash.
very nice timbers and finishes

Joash
26th October 2006, 07:29 PM
Yeah thanks stirlo, was quite happy with them too. Tally so far today is 1 vase, 2 oval platters, 1 bowl, and 1 box.

If you look in the pictures of the bowl. A bit off the right in the center of the bowl, is a long flash from the photo. It is directly over a whole bunch of grain. It is Curly Jarrah, and is that sort of 3D stuff, you know like in Camphor.

You might get what I mean.

Thanks for the comments:)

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 07:39 PM
yep, i get what you mean. that sort of grain is so cool.
my tally, is today: one thingy made of camphor.

Joash
26th October 2006, 07:40 PM
so a thingy is.....? kinda hard to place:)

ss_11000
26th October 2006, 07:42 PM
its a peice of faceplate work that is kinda useless. :)

tashammer
26th October 2006, 10:09 PM
Those are beautiful Joash, terrific finish.

dai sensei
26th October 2006, 10:17 PM
Looking good Joash, especially the grain and finish. The Jarrah looks very "yellow", I assume it's the flash throwing the colour out.

Not sure about the lid though, colour looks a bit off and sorry, don't like the nob. But hey, do you like it, that's what counts.

Keep it up, your work is impressive, especially for your age.

Joash
26th October 2006, 10:30 PM
Yes, it is just up to the taste. I am still expirementing.

Yes, but it should'nt be rare to see young people into turning.

Joash
26th October 2006, 10:31 PM
I'll try and get a better pic tonight

BernieP
26th October 2006, 10:40 PM
G'Day

"still expirementing" do we take that literally ?

Nice work.

Bernie

Joash
26th October 2006, 10:48 PM
G'Day

"still expirementing" do we take that literally ?

Nice work.

Bernie
?? I am still expirimenting with the shapes, profiles, and different timber combinations.

Groggy
26th October 2006, 10:49 PM
Hi all, me again....sigh:rolleyes:

Sorry if the photos take too long.

Does anyone have objections too me making these threads? Are they too many? Too etc:? If so, please specify.

Anyway, criticism accepted,

Ok Joash, first - brilliant work - I like all of the stuff you posted.

As for the other stuff, knock off the self deprecating comments. Your work is as good, if not better than most. You are certainly getting better faster than most.

If you think you are posting too much then just put the pictures as thumbnails (if you can) so people can blow up what they want to really see well. Add a comment to the pics like you have below and others will generally comment as they can.

Personally, I am getting a kick out of watching both Stirlo's and your work, it is getting pretty darn good.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2006, 10:51 PM
?? I am still expirimenting with the shapes, profiles, and different timber combinations.

We all are, that's what makes it fun. :)

Well... most of us. There are one or two who are stuck in a rut. :rolleyes:

Joash
27th October 2006, 01:06 AM
Yeah, I'm trying boxes for a while, I'm also doing large natural edge bowls, put some up in the next few days,

Wild Dingo
27th October 2006, 01:31 AM
Joash... bit of advice?

Go get mehov's imageresizer (http://www.imageresizer.com/) please! its free and some of us are still on dialup... putting bloody great pics in a post not only blows the thread out to buggary but also slows everything down
So if you can please get that program its small its easy to use and its free... oh and when you resize the jpegs resize them to 440 okay (its automatically set at 660 but thats too big for the upload limit)

Anyway as always great work. :cool:

I found out today why one really shouldnt finish turn something that is green :o mmm beautiful plum bowl very very slight crack mark at the end of lathe work not something Id usually be bothered about and wasnt in this insteance either.. that was made 2 days ago... today well that tiny sliver of a crack is BLOODY HUGE!!! opened right up it did

HEY!! geeeez could be an interesting thing at the Brunswick show on Saturday eh? Missus put one of those plum bowls into the show!! Imagine that if it blows out during the judging :D :D oh well hopefully it will last until the judgings over and 1st prize is mine eh :p yeah right :D

HEY!! And I made my first ever goblet this morning!! WHAHOOOO!!! :cool: missus was stoked and thought it was an egg cup :eek: while the eldest daughter nicked it as she left for her place ;) bloody egg cup indeed! flamin woman! :P

Joash
27th October 2006, 10:31 AM
Hi, sorry about the download time, I'll get that program. I have never attached pictures like that before, so I was just having fun:rolleyes:

Yeah, the Jarrah is dry, If you turn it green, rough turn it, stick it in the freezer for 1-5 days, depending on sizer and thickness, and then let it thatw out, and then stick it in the fridge, weigh it everyday, and then when it stops losing weight, stick it on the lathe and finish it. I've done this heaps of times--30-40 times, still havent lost one yet.

Congradulations on your first goblet?? egg-cup??

So what is this brunswick show?

Gil Jones
27th October 2006, 11:13 AM
Very nice work, Joash, and a fine surface!! Well done.
Microsoft Photo Editor (which is usually a part of the Windows OS,
or I could email a copy to you) is an easy way to crop and/or resize photos.

Joash
27th October 2006, 11:31 AM
Ok, I've got a few programs, I'll just see what I can do with them,

Thanks for the comments, and the greenies,

OGYT
27th October 2006, 12:19 PM
Good stuff, Joash... How do you have so much time to turn? Don't you kids ever go to school? Nice work... though, surely is!
Guess I'm just a little curious... even being retired, I still can't get enough time at the lathe. Too much other stuff going on... Kids, Grandkids, Great Grandkids, etc.
You stick with it, youngun, you're doing very well. :o) We olduns like to watch you and Stirlo grow.

Joash
27th October 2006, 01:05 PM
Been through this before. I am a homeschooler, and am having a 20 minute break. 2 minutes up, going back in 18 mins.

Algerbra
Physical science
Music
World History
Missions
Succesful living
Musical instrument
etc:

Thanks for the comments

Joash
27th October 2006, 10:17 PM
This is where I do my school.

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/PA270005-2.jpg

One of the other benifits of home-schooling. Not too many other kids that go to school each day, and have a desk like this put to their disposal:) Of course it's not as good as Danita's desk (http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=18283), but I'm thinking of making something along those lines.

Joash