what is it,
what is the finish &
what are the dimensions?

Joash
26th October 2006, 10:50 PM
echo in here?:D

Skew ChiDAMN!!
26th October 2006, 10:57 PM
No critique from me. :) I would like to see it a bit thinner and more slender, but I imagine that then it'd be a mass of splinters lying scattered around the shed.

The top section looks nicely finished, no rounded edges. Sanded with the lathe stopped? Any hairy moments? Or did you decide to stop turning before things became too white-knuckle? (If so, I salute you! I can rarely bring myself to stop before that dreaded "one last cut..." :o )

DJ’s Timber
26th October 2006, 11:13 PM
Looks good. A picture showing the whole piece would be good, bit hard to visualize the whole piece from cropped pictures

powderpost
26th October 2006, 11:17 PM
I like the shape and proportions, very nice. I would like to have seen the edge of the top a bit more thin. That would have given the piece a more delicate appearance. Even so it is a very nice piece, well done.
Jim

soundman
26th October 2006, 11:38 PM
Not realy my taste but thats the sort of thing you see in the centrefold of wood .

cheers

TTIT
27th October 2006, 09:03 AM
Impressive piece Holzman.. Like the others said, would have been nice to see the top a lttle thinner but I can imagine it was already getting pretty fragile as it is. I like it.:D

Hmmmm - or was it too fragile and that is why we only see half of it ;).

Bleedin Thumb
27th October 2006, 09:30 AM
Holzman, I like it! I dont think its too thick, I think its well proportioned and generally a nice form. I like how you have kept a sense of age in the peice by not overworking the timber.

Would look great used on the kitchen table to hold a cake or even as a pot plant stand.

RufflyRustic
27th October 2006, 09:30 AM
Yep, I definitely want that to be a contender for my centrefold :D

WOW Factor = + 1000000000!!!

Cheers
Wendy

lubbing5cherubs
27th October 2006, 09:41 AM
I don't usually like that kind of turned stuff but I do on that so I guess that best criticism you can get from me
Toni

baxter
27th October 2006, 11:19 AM
A very interesting use of what must have been an unusually shaped blank.

I would normally agree that thinner edges would have been the go, however that would probably have required a shallower finish across the top. As it is the piece appears to be a practical shape which could be used without fear of breakage.

Photos of the blank and a description of your chucking/turning method would be interesting.

Gil Jones
27th October 2006, 11:22 AM
I like the form, thickness, and shape. The wood is beautiful,
and it would be nice to see the whole piece.
Some dimensions, and species would be good too.

hughie
27th October 2006, 11:34 AM
Looks good to me as well. I echo Cliffs comments, other than that a very nice piece

ptc
27th October 2006, 11:50 AM
Looks great to me.

OGYT
27th October 2006, 12:06 PM
Holzman, I think it's agreed. We all want to see the whole thang! Full shot would do it. Accompanied by measurements, and finish, for sure!
I like it, too. Looks like a real nice Cake Stand. Gotta keep th' icin' off the bark, tho', it'd be a bugger to clean. :o)

tashammer
27th October 2006, 01:44 PM
what Gil said plus, it's bewtyful, love it to death, blurdy ripper me old son!:)

cedar n silky
27th October 2006, 08:33 PM
:D Blommin great!:D I reckon it's Banksia??:)

holzman
27th October 2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks for all your comments.
I would have liked the top a little thinner myself but had to abandon the idea because the segments are quite flexible. It is actually endgrain and there is a bit of punky dry rot in the centre as well. I used my smallest gauge and ground it after every pass but still got nasty chatter/chips. Could'nt hold anything opposite the cutting edge because everything i tried got shred to bits. Sanding by hand was the only way to finish it. Now i have a sore wrist and no fingerprints.

Anyone got any tips on how to stabilise this better?

Sheoak ( either forest- or drooping- couldnt work it out yet)
Finished with shellac followed by wax and a good workover with my electric toothbrush ( wax in cracks sux).
Hight is about 4inch, base is about 4inch, top about 8inch across

last pic showing similar blanks

I am quite pleased with the results despite the thickness.
Cheers guys

BernieP
27th October 2006, 10:41 PM
G'day Holzman

Uniquely different, love it

Bernie

TTIT
27th October 2006, 11:50 PM
I like it even more now that I've seen the whole thing! :) Couldn't think of a better way to use those logs. Well done and have a greenie! :D That style would really suit some Hairy oak and Inland rosewood I've got - hmmmmmm!
I can't think of a way to stabilize it that wouldn't leave it too weak when finished - maybe just leave the foot about the same thickness so it looks intentional - just a thought!:cool:

Joash
27th October 2006, 11:55 PM
I think that would work good green as well.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2006, 01:36 AM
You mount those blanks on a lathe? :eek:

You're a bloody madman! The full shot pix look much more impressive, I reckon it's well worth the loss of fingerprints. It's nice piece of work, something to be proud of.

But yer still a bloody madman! ;):D

tashammer
28th October 2006, 06:06 AM
yer, those things look like they would be a great source of shrapnel. Makes one want to put some of that flexible steel packaging strap on it to hold it together whilst you turned the bit next door to the banding.

What speeds were you using?

The final work looks really good though, something to keep looking at just for the pleasure and interest of it.

Buzzer
28th October 2006, 07:23 AM
I like it.

Need more photos!!!:D

Cheers.

Gil Jones
28th October 2006, 07:49 AM
Holzman, thanks for the full perspective pics!!
Handsome work, and I like that wood! Looks like it might be interesting to turn.
If it is punky (dry), you could start by a 24-hour soak in a 50:50 mix of PVA glue and water. Let the chunk dry for a week or two (or until it stops loosing weight). You could soak it again after you have it rough shaped. The PVA glue would firm up the wood. My 2¢ worth.

OGYT
28th October 2006, 03:31 PM
Holzman, thanks for posting the pics. Awesome piece of work. Unlike Skew, I think you're just Gutsy.... not mad. :o)
Gives me some ideas too!! Round about way, I guess. I'm now thinkin' about grabbin' up a better face shield.
Cheers.
BTW. Your name, is Deutsch, for "Wood Man".

makka619
28th October 2006, 04:02 PM
love it.

I want one!

Beaut job.

Joash
28th October 2006, 04:17 PM
Yes, I think you did a great job, maybe a wane edged bowl would look good like that.

It seems like it holds it's bark pretty well.

Wane edged bowl out of Jarrah--half finished

http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/Jarrah.jpg

rsser
28th October 2006, 04:48 PM
Nice work .. yeah, bit clunky, but as you said ...

I'd recommend if you did another squirting CA into the cracks to reduce the risk of the segments flying off - cheap and quick. Or winding a strip of fabric or duct tape around the perimeter. Or both.

rsser
28th October 2006, 04:51 PM
ps. well photographed too btw.

Another comment: you have variation in the thickness of the top which is distracting and I would have thought easily remedied with Mark 2.

reeves
28th October 2006, 05:27 PM
wow thats really nice mate, great use of sheok...no crits, just, keep it rolling brother...

i work bit of sheok and its not easy to gte whole chunk off the lathe without splitting or damage so u have done a good job, if u wanna do better go another chunk...i like the lines of it.

ss_11000
29th October 2006, 05:00 PM
cool:cool:

holzman
29th October 2006, 07:59 PM
You mount those blanks on a lathe? :eek:

........ bloody madman!
;):D

:D
Not that bad to turn those actually. I often put some cloth tape around half of the blank, usually where i want to keep the bark on. I start with slow speeds until most of the bark is removed then i speed it up a little.
Protective gear is an absolute must of course. I wear a long sleeved shirt - still get hit by shrapnel but it won't scratch the skin. Left glove and face shield is needed too. And common sense of course - as with everything else.

now kiddies, DO NOT try this at home!! :D

Jeff
30th October 2006, 12:53 PM
I like it! Original and unique work like this will gain you compliments from me every time. I always try to encourage new turners to try things others have not done, to try new ideas and come up with their own style. Where I live that piece would sell in a heartbeat for a nice sum. Keep up the good work!

Caveman
31st October 2006, 12:26 AM
Great stuff! Been eagerly waiting for the follow up pics.
Thanks for sharing.

Ditto - rssers comment re. the pictures - real nice.

robatman
31st October 2006, 11:55 AM
Brilliant stuff, very inspiring, although having only done a total of 3 bowls since i started turning a little while ago, might be a while before i give something like that a go!! Then again......

Was the sheoak dry or green?