PDA

View Full Version : just a question

beginner
27th October 2006, 09:05 PM
Hey everybody i m just a 14 year old kid that that has become verry fond of turning things on lathes. I just had a question about making jars and cups and things with lids. how do you get all of the grain to match up really well and still have that rim to hold the lid. These are 2 of the goblets I have made.

Joash
27th October 2006, 10:51 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum, I am 14, and there are 2 other 14 year old's, so that makes 4:)

Your question. What chisels do you have? Do you have a parting tool? If so, for example you are turning a box. Turn the outside of the box, and then shape a lid. I have attached a photo. You see where there is a gap between the lid and the box. That is where you cut off the lid. Then yoy hoolow out the box. This is just a basic shape, there are many variations, but they all basically haver this same techniqe. You want to be able to use the thinnest parting tool available, so then you can match the grain up evenly.

Fire away with anymore questions.

Just a few for you:)

How long have you been turning?
Do you have anymore photos available?
What lathe do you use?

Anyway, keep up the good work, you found a great hobby/occupation.

Here (http://joashwoodturning.bravehost.com) is my site, there you can see some of the things I make.

Joash:)
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m155/aoe3champ/eWinCE.jpg

beginner
27th October 2006, 11:07 PM
hey thanks for the answers
s for your questions.
i ahve only been turning for a month or two aand i will try to get some more photos for you.
the lathe that i use is just a $100 one but it does get the job done.

Joash
27th October 2006, 11:10 PM
Hi......what's your name?

So have you tried pens? Do you do any other woodwork?

I've been turning for 3 years

Anyway, stick around, and show us some more of your stuff.

Regards..........Joash

beginner
27th October 2006, 11:51 PM
no i havnt tried turning any pens yet but i would like to.
and by the way myname is Jack.

hughie
28th October 2006, 12:58 AM
Hey Jack, welcome, we need a few more young fellas around here. Too many old guys....:D

lubbing5cherubs
28th October 2006, 01:06 AM
Welcome Jack. Nice to see you on board. You goblet not bad for only a month going. I am still having trouble with them
Toni

PS Jack what kind of Lathe did you get for $100? because if it is a GMC you won't be able to make pens. Unless you are prepared to make a lot of alterations to make the mandrels fit.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2006, 01:31 AM
PS Jack what kind of Lathe did you get for $100? because if it is a GMC you won't be able to make pens. Unless you are prepared to make a lot of alterations to make the mandrels fit.

Oh, I dunno. I thought Stu's mod was creative and cheap. Far from ideal, but still a foot in the door.

PS: Welcome aboard, Jack. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
28th October 2006, 11:35 AM
Alright Sorry Jack and Skew I take it back
bye
Toni:o

Doc Ron
28th October 2006, 11:52 AM
Jack
Welcome to the turning world. I have recently learned how to make turned boxes when I found a video by Richard Raffan on the very subject in my local library. After watching that, I found they also had the book. If you can find these, they will be very instructive for you, especially the book. I think it is called "Turning Boxes", but since I am 57 years older than you are, I don't always remember this stuff:confused: . You will probably also learn a lot faster than I did. Keep going!:)

OGYT
28th October 2006, 03:19 PM
Welcome, Jack. This place is the place where you place your questions, and someone else places the answer... that's what makes this place such a good place. Glad to have another youngun!! :o)

Joash
28th October 2006, 04:26 PM
Yes, I think you have got a good start, did you first start turning at school?

Look forward too seeing more stuff:)

rsser
28th October 2006, 04:40 PM
Hey Jack, welcome, we need a few more young fellas around here. Too many old guys....:D

Old is as old does.

Youth is wasted on the young.

Youth: all energy and no wisdom.

... I could go on, being an old phart ;-}

Welcome Jack. I too am delighted to see our venerable art taken up by one of tender years.

Joash
28th October 2006, 04:44 PM
Good to have young people, evens things out:D

beginner
28th October 2006, 04:54 PM
no i didnt first start turning at school my dad actually brought a lathe with a gift voucher he got for farthers day and i just started experimenting. all of our chisels are made up from old files though. if anyone has any info on what angles to have on the chisels please share.

Joash
28th October 2006, 06:24 PM
I entirely reccomend you get a good set of hss chisels. Files are liable to snap, and hit you. And if you're like everyone else, you'll try bigger, and more dangerous projects. I have this (http://www.carbatec.com.au/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=300_13600_14080_14100) set of chisels, It has lasted me 2 and a half years, I will probably get 1-2 years more out of it. But you are on a good start, and you should do well at it.

But for now with your files.

How many do you have? What grinder do you have. If you look at how the chisels have their angles, I think that would do it.

The chisles above are expensive, but well worth it. But to be on the safe side, go to Bunnings, and buy there cheap set of turning tools. You can get a set of 8. Here at our bunnies, they are $10. They are made of a cheaper steel, but they will do the job, till you get more adventurous:)

Fire away any more questions,

Joash

soundman
28th October 2006, 07:26 PM
Crikey JACK. turning for a couple of months on a $100 lathe with dodgy chisels and no instruction.:eek:

Beg, borrow or othewise obtain a coppy of the Richard Rafin video.... it will answer sooooo many questions.
The matching book is good too.
The Mike darlow books are great too. I think he has videos now too.
Both Aussie guys (well Richard is now).

See what is in the local library, pester the man arts teacher at school he may have some books "under the counter".

Check out the local turning clubs.

Is the old man interested? Get him interested... he has more money than you.:D

Make nice things for your mother......( this is always smart) reap the rewards at birthdays and christmass.

cheers

Joash
28th October 2006, 07:39 PM
Now that's good advice:D:D

hughie
28th October 2006, 07:48 PM
no i didnt first start turning at school my dad actually brought a lathe with a gift voucher he got for farthers day and i just started experimenting. all of our chisels are made up from old files though. if anyone has any info on what angles to have on the chisels please share

Jack,

Files are OK as long as you dont have too much overhang, keep the tool rest as close as possible. So they are not really suited for internal turning.If you use files, use the biggest, meanest and thickest ones you can find.

Not knowing where you live, but still, you can try McJings as they do mail order. From them you can buy a lot of HSS M2 chisels with out handles at a very good price, sorry no link as thier web site is down for maint.

Do a search of the forum for tools, a lot of guys make thier own with good results at a very low cost. There are a few good web sites for home made tools on the net as well.

Here is some additional info that'l come in handy

http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/grinds.shtml
http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_articles.html#design
http://www.aussiewoods.info/
http://wr.avwa.org/memberwebsites.html
http://www.ubeaut.com.au/badwood.htm
http://www.turnedwood.com/
http://www.bowlturner.com/lathes%20and%20tools.htm

Hey Christmas is coming, drop a few hints to all the Rellys...dont be too subtle ;) :D

beginner
28th October 2006, 08:38 PM
thanks for ll of the adivice but just one more question.
how much will good set of chisels set me back

Joash
28th October 2006, 08:44 PM
If you shop around, check out ebay, look out for specials, do some googling, bribe the local carbatec(:p), I think you could get a good set for $50-$80

beginner
28th October 2006, 09:13 PM
thanks for all ur help.

oh nd by the way is there any disadvantges of being left handed with the chisels?

Joash
28th October 2006, 09:13 PM
No, I take it you are? No, there is no problem, you just have to adjust.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th October 2006, 09:19 PM
oh nd by the way is there any disadvantges of being left handed with the chisels?

For spindle turning, no, but you may find it awkward to hollow bowls, etc. unless you have a swivel-head lathe or learn to be ambidextrous.

But all "accomplished" turners should be able to use either hand anyway. :)

Joash
28th October 2006, 09:24 PM
Yes, I can turn left and right handed, Of course, you favour the hand you are used to, I.e: me being right handed.

soundman
28th October 2006, 10:32 PM
I do use various tools left handed from time to time, If you can its often easier to get access.
I try to be at least basicly competent left handed.

cheers

TTIT
30th October 2006, 10:34 AM
thanks for all ur help.

Welcome to the forum Jack.:)

No problem being a molly-duker unless you make it a problem! The only thing I do differently is go around the other side of the lathe to do my hollowing - or just turn 'outboard' when you upgrade to a better lathe!;)

cedar n silky
30th October 2006, 03:49 PM
Welcome to the forum Jack.:)

No problem being a molly-duker unless you make it a problem! The only thing I do differently is go around the other side of the lathe to do my hollowing - or just turn 'outboard' when you upgrade to a better lathe!;)
I used to get called a kaky hander, whatever that means. I'm sure it's not a compliment:D
I got a swivel head lathe, but more often than not, if the bowl fits over the bed, I won't bother with swivelling the head, as it is time consuming and requires sorting the outboard tool rest. I just work from the otherside of the lathe to do th insides of bowls.
TTit's advice is good, like everyone on this forum. Welcome to the world of woodturning:)