PDA

View Full Version : outboard turning

turnerted
29th October 2006, 04:22 PM
Help .I would like to be able to do outboard turning on my Vicmark VL200 lathe and using my VL120 chuck . I have an LH insert to enable me to screw the chuck on the outboard LH thread . I can run the lathe either forward or reverse , but it seems with either option there is a risk of the chuck or the insert unscrewing in use .I'm sure there must be a simple solution to this but at the moment it escapes me .
Ted

cedar n silky
29th October 2006, 04:47 PM
Hi Ted. While i have'nt done it myself yet, Iwas wondering th same thing! On my VL175, there is a clamp ring (2 part)that goes around the headstock spindle, and the insert. From the factory, it is around the hand wheel used for slowing the lathe down. Also the genuine vicmarc inset has an allen key to lock onto the chuck.
Hope that is of some help.:)
Also, contact Vicmarc direct if you have any queeries, I am sure they will help. Vicmarc website is www.vicmarc.com (http://www.vicmarc.com)

turnerted
31st October 2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions . My lathe doesn't seem to have the clamp you refer to . I have the genuine Vicmac insert with the grub screw but the grubscrew seems to do very little since it is just screwing down on a flat face .
I'll contact Vicmac to see what they have to say .

Ted