PDA

View Full Version : Walking stick: easier than pens!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2006, 09:43 PM
OK... so I'm out of pen-kits and haven't the time to devote to a decent sized blank. What to do?

Well... Purplehearts pool-cue WIP got me started on a walking stick. (Didn't want to be accused of plagiarism. ;)) I could take my time gluing up, a few minutes here, a few minutes there (and lamination is soooo much easier when working on this larger scale! :D) and a spare half hour to do the actual turning. For the sake of safety, I did run a dowel from the knob through all the laminated sections and into the top few inches of the "plain" section of the shaft, as it's being made to be used.

Anyways, here's some pix of what I've accomplished so far; all that needs doing is turning a small 6" section, probably of ebony or lignum vitae, to go on the bottom end with a rubber and to fully part off the knob.

Something tells me I'll be making more of these...

ss_11000
30th October 2006, 09:53 PM
very nice so far skew. great designs with the laminations.

another thing i can add to my list of things to make.:)

dai sensei
30th October 2006, 09:55 PM
Looks great Skew.:)

What glue did you use, epoxy? Wouldn't like one of those laminations to give way whilst using it.

Joash
30th October 2006, 09:55 PM
So will you leave the bulge on top? the handle?

Great job!

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2006, 10:07 PM
What glue did you use, epoxy? Wouldn't like one of those laminations to give way whilst using it.

Epoxy all the way, with a dowel running down the middle for a bit of extra strength. :) I contemplated boring the full length and running an endless thread but that'd require a much thicker tip. This one's more of a swagger stick than a walking stick, but next time... who knows?

So will you leave the bulge on top? the handle?

Yeah, I'll leave it as a plain, smooth dome. It's a good size that fits comfortably in the palm of the hand. Unless you meant the spigot piece that'll be parted off? (I'd turned the spigot for chuck mounting, but ended up turning it all between centres anyway. Typical! :rolleyes: )

DJ’s Timber
30th October 2006, 10:08 PM
Looking very nice there Skew. Somehow I can't see you pulling off the distinguish gentleman look:eek: :p walking down the street:D

lubbing5cherubs
30th October 2006, 10:33 PM
NIce Skew, but it not for you yet is it??? :p :D Did you make that length on your leda or do you have 2 lathes hiding in your cave??
Toni

Joash
30th October 2006, 10:47 PM
It's either a MS900, or a 1100, if you gave a bit more of a closer shot of the mortor, I could tell. my guess is a 900, can't tell the length

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2006, 11:18 PM
NIce Skew, but it not for you yet is it??? :p :D Did you make that length on your leda or do you have 2 lathes hiding in your cave??

[shudder] I spent a couple of years on one in my 20's and, believe me, I'm not in a rush to need one again.

Lathes? Well... errmm... the last time I counted I had 5. :o One of the Leda's went to a young bloke's place so I'm down to four now. For the meantime, anyway; the number tends to change from month to month. :rolleyes: Joash got the ID right...

It's either a MS900, or a 1100, if you gave a bit more of a closer shot of the mortor, I could tell. my guess is a 900, can't tell the length

An MC-900, yeah. It's my "spare" work lathe, used mainly when I realise I need a tapered plug or custom jam-chuck to finish the job at hand, but don't want to unmount the piece I'm working on from the main work lathe. Very, very handy. ;)

lubbing5cherubs
30th October 2006, 11:20 PM
bit of a lathe collector are we?? :D
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th October 2006, 11:33 PM
bit of a lathe collector are we?? :D

You could say that. Not that it's deliberate or anything... although I do have my eye on a very old wooden treadle pen-lathe. :)

What I have are my two work lathes & the Leda for my pens. And a pre-GMC that's destined to become a linisher one day. Other lathes come'n'go, but basically only to help out other new turners... so long as they maintain & repair 'em, they can use 'em until they buy their own (or decide to buy the one I've lent...) [shrug]

lubbing5cherubs
30th October 2006, 11:38 PM
your a good bloke helping others out. You are very kind man. :D. If you ever come across one about that size of the one that you are doing walking sticks on. that not going to break the bank. PM me please. :D
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 12:09 AM
your a good bloke helping others out. You are very kind man. :D. If you ever come across one about that size of the one that you are doing walking sticks on. that not going to break the bank. PM me please. :D

The basic MC-900 can be bought new from Carbatec for around $350. Your little Leda's better quality, trust me, but the MC-900 is what most new turners on a tight budget (and who aren't into pens) start off with. :)

I have an old one which should be coming home soon [fingers Xed], I could sell you that dirt cheap but the freight would be a killer. :( I'm pretty sure that even if I gave it to you, the freight'd make a new one the cheaper option. :mad:

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 12:14 AM
yeah you are probably right
Toni:D

tashammer
31st October 2006, 03:31 AM
"Dirt cheap lathe?" asked the penniless cripple from Tasmania who is torn between paying bills or eating. (How do i attach a sound file of plaintive violin music?). :D

i wonder if one could fit a pulsed laser in the walking stick?

TTIT
31st October 2006, 09:55 AM
Nice job Skew - like it a lot.:) Is it sized for a particular 'challenged' person?

I'd put one on my todo list but I'd never live it down if my kids saw me making a walking stick - cop enough flak already :D

arose62
31st October 2006, 10:18 AM
The three SuperCheap Auto stores that I get to are (or have) getting rid of their MC-900 clones, and for a pretty good price - $199.

I haven't seen one running, but the display one I looked at was just like all the other clone lathes, except that it had wheels on one end of the stand to make it easier to move about.

The closest store to my work has a real nasty, flimsy GMC style lathe with two bits of square steel for the bed - $149.
Next to it the MC-900 clone - $199.

Cheers,
Andrew

Tex B
31st October 2006, 11:56 AM
Lovely work, Skew. Beautiful walking stick. Definitely not a cane - a walking stick. ;)

Tex

Touchwood
31st October 2006, 02:01 PM
very nice Skew - yes, that scale would be soooo much easier than the pen size ....

MC-900 is what most new turners on a tight budget (and who aren't into pens) start off with ....:( as the owner of only one lathe
Well... errmm... the last time I counted I had 5. I do everything on my MC 900, but have often thought a second one would make life so much easier when you what to chuck something for a short itme etc, and can't be bothered regigging everything to get there! Maybe a Leda from the tax return burning a hole in my pocket!

Toni - keep an eye on schools tendering off old gear and/or TAFE. The local TAFE went through rationalising courses - if they didn't result in a job they were cut - evening turning classes were on the hit list. Worth watching out for.

JD

Gil Jones
31st October 2006, 02:03 PM
Very well done walking stick, Skew.
(Is one of your legs a bit longer from the pulling?).
One of these days I may acquire the patients to
segment pieces of wood into something lovely.

BernieP
31st October 2006, 06:08 PM
G'Day Skew

I find it always very interesting to see photos of something different, and as usual your high quality work.

Bernie

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the kind words, people. :) FWIW, here's pic of the finished item. I'm thinking I should've made the tip of Pittosperum instead of Redgum, to balance out the handle. But what the heck, I'm happy with oit as a first attempt.

Actually, laminating it up was so much easier than a pen, while still using the same techniques, that I think I'll be prototyping new lamination patterns (new to me, anyway) this way before trying them on pens.

Lovely work, Skew. Beautiful walking stick. Definitely not a cane - a walking stick. ;)

Exactly so. :) I'm planning on make a "proper" walking stick (ie. a quarter-staff ;) ) for myself, but that's going to involve moving my lathes around so I can use the tailstock on one and the headstock of t'other. These babes are heavy so I'm putting that item off for a while...

The three SuperCheap Auto stores that I get to are (or have) getting rid of their MC-900 clones, and for a pretty good price - $199.

That's a good price if they're in fair condition!

Nice job Skew - like it a lot.:) Is it sized for a particular 'challenged' person?

Let's just say it's a keeper. Even if I don't need it for perambulation (yet) it makes a pretty replacement for my shillelagh. :D

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 08:09 PM
Tis come up very nicely Skew.

Could loan you my lathe if you need a bit longer, but I am getting a hernia just thinking about it:eek: ,bloody heavy bugger:p :D

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 08:58 PM
Skew she came up a ripper. It is very nice.

With an extension on my leda, I could do them couldn't I? (food for thought for later date anyway)
Toni

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 09:28 PM
Skew she came up a ripper. It is very nice.

With an extension on my leda, I could do them couldn't I? (food for thought for later date anyway)

Yep. I had to do this one in two parts to get the length anyway, that's why I didn't turn the tip with the rest of it.

I could have turned it on the Leda without an extension bed, it would've been easier in some ways (not as long, so not as much flex) but I'd have had to make it in three or four sections and joined them later. I had enough trouble as it was in getting the tip sized to match the rest seamlessly, without having to worry about other joints too... but I think that if I insert a beaded ring (a bit like a homemade centre-band ;)) into each joint that it'd hide any mistakes.

It's the first one I've made, so a few lessons have been learnt and ideas for next time. Hmmm... I might do one on the Leda just to show that it can be done. :D

Could loan you my lathe if you need a bit longer, but I am getting a hernia just thinking about it:eek: ,bloody heavy bugger:p :D

I'll pass. I keep putting off moving the Leda as too much like hard work, I don't even want to think about moving yours. :D

powderpost
31st October 2006, 09:43 PM
You mentioned the magic word... "laminating"... :). Been making some walking sticks with that "eliptical" pattern on the top and using the walking stick fittings from Carbatec. I have been using selleys aquahdere the exterior one.. tradesmans choice. I put one on two blocks and stood on it. Guess what?............. It broke, but the glue joint didn't let go. The timber gave way. I still use Araldite to glue the fittings.
Jim

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 09:50 PM
I have been using selleys aquahdere the exterior one.. tradesmans choice. I put one on two blocks and stood on it. Guess what?............. It broke, but the glue joint didn't let go. The timber gave way. I still use Araldite to glue the fittings.

That's really good to hear. I was tempted to just use PVA, Aquadhere's my personal choice too, but as this was my first I wasn't sure of it's suitability.

Wasn't looking forward to tripling my epoxy expenses either!

Next time, though... :)

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 10:09 PM
It's the first one I've made, so a few lessons have been learnt and ideas for next time. Hmmm... I might do one on the Leda just to show that it can be done. :D :D

I like that and your trendy join up I am interested to see that..
thanks mate
Toni:D

cedar n silky
31st October 2006, 10:36 PM
That's a great walking stick, Skew. I used to sell bamboo bush walking sticks, and just turned a bit of cedar for the top, and glued it into the top of a bamboo. They used to sell quite well, but i haven't got any left to show.
I do have one to show you though!:eek: It adds a whole new level of safety to walking home late at night! Specially an "old crotch" like me:D .

Skew ChiDAMN!!
31st October 2006, 11:04 PM
Hmmm... I can see myself brushing up on my knife-making skills. Got some nice Haakapella Damascene steel barstock here so I may as well put my license to good use... :D

cedar n silky
1st November 2006, 09:11 AM
Hmmm... I can see myself brushing up on my knife-making skills. Got some nice Haakapella Damascene steel barstock here so I may as well put my license to good use... :D
What "licence" ist hat Skew?;) Do you need a licence to make daggers and swords??:eek: :D
That is "concealed daggers and swords"!

hughie
1st November 2006, 09:15 AM
Hmmm... I can see myself brushing up on my knife-making skills. Got some nice Haakapella Damascene steel barstock here so I may as well put my license to good use

Skew,

great looking stick, reminded me of some I have seen on my travels

http://www.africancraftsmarket.com/canespage2.htm
http://www.africantreasures.com/specialty-items/walking-sticks.asp
http://www.coldsteel.com/91was.html

Have a chat to Andy in Kenya for some interesting takes on African versions

Skew ChiDAMN!!
1st November 2006, 11:53 AM
Hughie, the one pictured in the third link really caught my eye... until I saw the material: solid polypropylene. :rolleyes:

I thought that $40 was a bit cheap for an ebonised finish.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
9th May 2007, 06:17 PM
What "licence" ist hat Skew?;) Do you need a licence to make daggers and swords??:eek: :D
That is "concealed daggers and swords"!

Sorry mate, missed this first time 'round... :-

No, you don't need a license to make 'em... but there are legal issues relating to knife importation, marketing, ownership and carriage. Varies from state to state, of course. :rolleyes:

Being in the registry, I don't have to worry about most such issues. (Unfortunately, I'm not immune to prosecution if I choose to run naked down main street wielding a katana in both hands... wish I'd know that before I paid my money! :p)

cedar n silky
9th May 2007, 10:18 PM
G/day Skew.
Thanks for that.
"if I choose to run naked down main street wielding a katana in both hands" That might be a sight!:o
Cheers

river rat
16th May 2007, 05:39 AM
Here is a couple of pic. of the walking stick I made for my dad, He lost his left leg a few years back and lost the walking stick I got him in New Zealand when I was last there. It is made of snake wood and is the natural color of the wood it has a ca finish