PDA

View Full Version : finised- Silky burl

cedar n silky
31st October 2006, 11:48 AM
Thanks everyone for your help in this project.:)
I am happy with the outcome. Probably spent a day all up, on it.
The guy i did it for, is a builder mate of mine, and I am going to ask for a day (as exchange) with a building job I have planned on my home.
I left it "au natural" on the outside, and used a thin satin poly thinned with turps (50/50)and dabbed on with a cloth pad, to avoid runs. I quickly wiped any excess off. Let it dry, and used a buffing oil (x2) with 600 grit wet and dry, wiped it off and buffed it later.:)

Joash
31st October 2006, 11:50 AM
Did a great job, bet he'll be happy with it:)

TTIT
31st October 2006, 12:10 PM
Came up bloody lovely Cedar :). Looks fantastic. Does your camera have a macro feature? - would love to see the grain close up. Still can't beleive Silky-oak could produce a burl like that!:D

DJ’s Timber
31st October 2006, 12:34 PM
Came up bloody lovely Cedar :). Looks fantastic. Does your camera have a macro feature? - would love to see the grain close up. Still can't beleive Silky-oak could produce a burl like that!:D

Great job Cedar, I too would love to see a close up of the grain too

Gil Jones
31st October 2006, 01:53 PM
Excellent piece, Cedar, and the wood is fine too!!

ss_11000
31st October 2006, 02:45 PM
cool :cool:

OGYT
31st October 2006, 03:47 PM
Hit the nail on the head!! Fine work.
Wonder why Mesquite don't have burls.......

lubbing5cherubs
31st October 2006, 04:03 PM
NICE job
Toni

BernieP
31st October 2006, 05:48 PM
G'Day Cedar
Great Piece
Bernie

stevesandy
31st October 2006, 09:55 PM
lovely job SWEET:)
Steve

cedar n silky
31st October 2006, 10:13 PM
Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. I gave it to my mate today, and he was very pleased, as he was looking to give it to his wife for christmas. I did take a closer photo of it, but the camera just doesn't doo the grain justice. I spent a lot of time with the lamp just ogling the amazing patterns and flecks. Thanks again:)

Caveman
1st November 2006, 01:27 AM
Hey Cedar - a real lovely piece. Like the others said, I've never seen a burl off silky oak before and there's plenty in these parts planted plantation style - lucky you!

Wonder why Mesquite don't have burls.......
Al - check this out: found a picture of a mesquite burl on my wonderings across the net. They obviously do exist but very few and far between! Keeps your eyes peeled, you never know when you might find one!

Caveman
1st November 2006, 01:33 AM
Ooops! Sorry 'bout that.
Herewith the aforementioned picture:

OGYT
1st November 2006, 06:43 AM
Thanks for posting, Andy. So they do exist! I'll keep my eye open.
That's sure some pretty wood. Judging from the color of the cambium layer, they turned it pretty green. That layer is more of a dull gray when it's dry wood. I have a domino box made from Mesquite, and the yellow is still there.
Good post.

hughie
1st November 2006, 08:54 AM
Thanks for all your comments, much appreciated. I gave it to my mate today, and he was very pleased, as he was looking to give it to his wife for christmas. I did take a closer photo of it, but the camera just doesn't doo the grain justice. I spent a lot of time with the lamp just ogling the amazing patterns and flecks. Thanks again:)
[/QUOTE]

Cedar either way its a nice bowl.

ss_11000
1st November 2006, 03:39 PM
awesome grain. thanx for the close up.

Tony Morton
1st November 2006, 04:12 PM
Hi Cedar
Great timber great execution of shape on face, however I would like to see some definition on the base,foot either a slightly domed hollow in flattened area or a definite base ring. Sorry to be the one to find fault with such a great piece but I like to see a definite turned bottom.

Cheers Tony

cedar n silky
1st November 2006, 09:09 PM
Hi Cedar
Great timber great execution of shape on face, however I would like to see some definition on the base,foot either a slightly domed hollow in flattened area or a definite base ring. Sorry to be the one to find fault with such a great piece but I like to see a definite turned bottom.

Cheers Tony
Thanks for your comments, Tony. I usually turn a foot or a holow on everything, but because there was a big sap inclusion right in the middle of the face, I wasn't in a position to easily attatch from the face . And I couldnt turn it between centres (not enough room over the bed), so I used a planer to get a flat spot to attatch the faceplate on the base. I probably could have done a number of things to get around the sap inclusion, like attatching or glueing a bigger faceplate on the face and turning a foot/ ring that way. It's an enormously heavy peice, so I think not too many people are going to want to look at rhe base, but then again for some reason people insist on "checking the bottom" of every thing!:D

powderpost
1st November 2006, 09:39 PM
Have never seen a silky oak burl yet. Beautiful timber, Beautifully simple lines.... Excellent job.
Jim