PDA

View Full Version : $50 chinese Vicmarc100 lookalike

dai sensei
2nd November 2006, 08:19 PM
Scored myself a Vicmarc lookalike today for $50 from Carbetec Bris. Made sure actual Vicmarc jaws fitted before I bought it.

I always wanted another one for a spare set up with the pin jaws or bowl jaws and keep the real one for my shark jaws, but at around $250, couldn't justify it.

They had one more left but was slightly different and didn't check it out properly. It was tempting to buy both, but I wanted to make sure it worked Ok. So far so good.

martink
2nd November 2006, 10:21 PM
Scored myself a Vicmarc lookalike today for $50 from Carbetec Bris. Made sure actual Vicmarc jaws fitted before I bought it.

I always wanted another one for a spare set up with the pin jaws or bowl jaws and keep the real one for my shark jaws, but at around $250, couldn't justify it.

They had one more left but was slightly different and didn't check it out properly. It was tempting to buy both, but I wanted to make sure it worked Ok. So far so good.

That's it, down to carbatec in Sydney first thing on Saturday morning and see if I can find myself one of these. Any chance you can post a picture or brand of the lathe so I know what to keep my eye out for?

Ciao,

M.

TTIT
3rd November 2006, 11:29 AM

They had one more left but was slightly different and didn't check it out properly. It was tempting to buy both, but I wanted to make sure it worked Ok. So far so good.I sooooo badly want some extra chucks but, as you say - budget justification :(. What spindle thread do they fit? Do they have adaptors available for 30mm/3.5? Pics? more more

OGYT
3rd November 2006, 01:19 PM
Sounds like an awesome! buy. Extra Chuck bodies are good to have on hand, and for that price you can stand a little filing if necessary. Find any Nova look-a-likes, let me know. :o)

dai sensei
3rd November 2006, 08:03 PM
What spindle thread do they fit? Do they have adaptors available for 30mm/3.5? Pics? more more

There is no brand on it, but it did come with a 33mm/3.5 adaptor, the other one had a larger adaptor. My lathe is a Jet1442 with 30mm/3.5 thread, so I had to buy another adaptor:( to save swaping my other one over.

It was in a bin of all sorts of things on special. I also got a strange set of forstner bits with long shafts and a side cutting edge, so it can cut down then sideways like a router bit. I also got some tailstock centres for only $5 with no2 MT.

keith53
3rd November 2006, 09:25 PM
SHAME on you people!!! You're driving jobs offshore by buying this copied stuff. :mad:

Gil Jones
4th November 2006, 04:55 PM
Allen, check out this site http://www.grizzly.com/products/searchresults.aspx?q=chuck+jaws&submit.x=0&submit.y=0

The VicMarc knockoff scroll chucks, and jaws at the top left are a match, and the jaws interchange with my VicMarc 100. The chuck and jaws work well.
Your Nova look-alikes are on the last two rows, but I doubt that they would fit your lathe spindle.