PDA

View Full Version : Workbench Care

Dust Mite
4th November 2006, 05:22 PM
As you know I recently finished the main part of my new workbench. I still have the cabinet to do but I am enjoying the use of the new bench.

Like a lot of use we take pride in our benchs, more so if we made them ourselves as I did.

The bench has seen a good deal of use of late and now has a reasonable share of minor scratches and dings. Its starting to get some character to it. But I noticed that the top was becoming very dry a shabby looking with the use.

I decided to give it a service.

Fist was a very light sand with 600 grit just to take any glue spill off.

Then I applied Neopol wood polish, which I let soak in for a spell and then buffed off to finish.

A very simple process.

A word here about Neopol. The Kiwis among us know what Neopol is but I dont know if you Aussie lads do.

Its made in NZ, and has been around for about 60yrs or so.

I remember my grandmother and aunties using it. It has a pleasant sandalwood or lemon scent ( I prefer the lemon). It is a white liquid cream that is applied thinly over the surface a couple of times. I should point out that it contains no silicone or non natural products.

Its then left to soak for a minute or three and buffed off. It can be used on all types of wood and furniture. When fully buffed it leaves a very smooth surface that has no residual grease or oil left on it. Its magic stuff. :)

Pic 1 shows the damage from work

Pic 2 Shows the first coat being applied. Already there is a difference.

Pic 3 Half the top is done

Pic 4 The final result

Pic 5 The Majic Bottle :)

Groggy
4th November 2006, 05:40 PM
I've never seen the stuff before, what's in it?

Do you scrape your bench?

Waldo
4th November 2006, 06:55 PM
G'day,

Work bench care?

It's bench, you get dings on it, you bash on it, it gets paint on it. :confused:

echnidna
4th November 2006, 07:14 PM
Cover the workbench with junk and sawdust

Harry72
4th November 2006, 08:19 PM
Yep with Echnida its easier!

Dust Mite
4th November 2006, 08:50 PM
Lol :) Philistines !!

BobL
5th November 2006, 11:30 AM
The closest thing my bench gets to care is vacuuming the sawdust off the top and the remains of any organ oil left on a brush wiped on it.

meerkat
5th November 2006, 03:47 PM
:eek: Dude I hope the wife does'nt know you pinched the dining table and are now using it for a wrokbench!!!

I can't say to much about care coz I don't have one (workbench) yet, although its almost done piccies to follow :)

Flowboy
5th November 2006, 04:07 PM
Bob,

That is Organoil and not organ oil, such as from a spleen?:eek: :D

Rob

Purpleheart
5th November 2006, 10:03 PM
Hmm, now I am feeling bad. Maybe I should go and clean up my workshop.......

echnidna
5th November 2006, 10:05 PM
d'yer use a feather duster next?

Poppa
5th November 2006, 10:50 PM
Dust Mite, is that an Oregon top on your bench? With something else as an edge? If it is Oregon, how do you find it? I was thinking of using Oregon for the top of my bench, because I like it so much, but was re-thinking recently because it is not a hardwood. Just wondering about yours....

Flowboy
6th November 2006, 04:27 AM
Hi Poppa,

I used Oregon as the top for my workbench (50mm) and it's been great so far (12 months.) Still level and handles the bump and grind very well.

Regards

Rob

Poppa
6th November 2006, 03:01 PM
Thanks Rob. I have a reasonable supply of Oregon at a good price, and I also have a technique that we use in our business for staining the red grain black (I like black). Not sure about that though - might just leave it red, because I like the timber. Still thinking and planning for the bench construction....

Dust Mite
6th November 2006, 05:37 PM
Dust Mite, is that an Oregon top on your bench? With something else as an edge? If it is Oregon, how do you find it? I was thinking of using Oregon for the top of my bench, because I like it so much, but was re-thinking recently because it is not a hardwood. Just wondering about yours....

Hi Poppa, yes it is Oregan with a Rimu border.
The top is made from 65 x 65 Canadian Oregan ( its generally a denser wood than the stuff in the southern hemisphere), laminated with biscuits and then the rimu put on last.

You can see how I did it here http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35250

After it was assembled I gave it a light coat of wipe on poly to seal the top and then let it dry for a week, sanded it back with 400 grit and finished with the Neopol. The results are very good. I decided not to apply the extra two coats of poly as the neopol worked very well.
This is the top before I started using it to give you some idea of the difference between new and 4 or 5 months of use.
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showthread.php?t=35400

And yes the Oregan will stand the workload.

Flowboy
6th November 2006, 05:40 PM
Hi Poppa,
I thought I'd let you know how mine went together.
100x100 Oregon legs ( to your desired height)
Rails 50x65-70mm Oregon
Subframe Oregon as above.
Top (2) 1.7x290x50mm Oregon.
Skirt: 42x110 Jarrah, butted against each other at corners.
Coach Bolts 6x3/8".
Vise jaws Jarrah as desired (mine are 50x150x600)
Dog Holes to suit.
I have a shelf (Oregon) underneath as well.

I'm not sure I'd want black on the top of the bench, could make it even more difficult to find things:)

Regards,

Rob

Poppa
7th November 2006, 09:36 AM
OK, then I think you've convinced me to use Oregon for the top. I might use something else for the base, and I've got this idea of putting drawers underneath. Maybe if I do the draw fronts in Oregon that will bring it all together. Hmmmm. Thinking music please....:)

BobL
7th November 2006, 09:41 AM
Bob,

That is Organoil and not organ oil, such as from a spleen?:eek: :D

Rob

Bitta both plus crushed insects, sweat, blood, turps, meths, sanding sealer, paint, boiled linseed, and glue.

Grahame Collins
8th November 2006, 07:58 AM
Whats this clean bench top stuff?
Benches are made for chucking stuff on and end up having no room on them, right?
Then ya build a new one.

Grahame 7 benches Collins

Dust Mite
11th November 2006, 05:34 PM
The bench does get messy when in action and heres the proof :)